Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 417

Thread: College Football 2019

  1. #321
    Ass in a Hat


    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    109,816

    Re: College Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    I think there is still a question about who will be #1. After all LSU put a beating on the #4 team in the nation while Ohio State
    had to rally in the 2nd half against #8 Wisconsin.

    Beating Georgia gave LSU its fifth win over an AP Top 10 team this season, which ties a record in the AP Poll era (1936-present)
    for most Top-10 victories in a single season.
    LSU beating Alabama and Georgia > OSU beating Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin.
    "Donald Trump is Jesus to followers of Jesus who reject the actual teachings of Jesus."

    Found on twitter

  2. #322
    Ass in a Hat


    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    109,816

    Re: College Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Look calamity the offense and defense were not playing well the first half. But when you thought it was looking grim, in the second half they at a negative pulled it to a win.

    However, even though Ohio State won their Big Ten Championship game, don't be surprised to see LSU will move into 1st place in the CFP rankings because they readily whipped the Bulldogs.
    Agreed, LSU earned the #1 today.
    "Donald Trump is Jesus to followers of Jesus who reject the actual teachings of Jesus."

    Found on twitter

  3. #323
    Guru
    slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Nassau County, Long Island
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,830

    Re: College Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    LSU beating Alabama and Georgia > OSU beating Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin.
    At the time LSU played these 5 teams they were ranked in the top ten
    Texas #9
    Fla #7
    Auburn #9
    Alabama #3
    Ga #4

    At the time Ohio State played the teams on there schedule only 2 teams were ranked in the top ten
    Penn State #8
    Wisconsin #8

    When they played Michigan, Michigan was ranked 13th

  4. #324
    Guru
    GreatNews2night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,995

    Re: College Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    I think there is still a question about who will be #1. After all LSU put a beating on the #4 team in the nation while Ohio State
    had to rally in the 2nd half against #8 Wisconsin.

    Beating Georgia gave LSU its fifth win over an AP Top 10 team this season, which ties a record in the AP Poll era (1936-present)
    for most Top-10 victories in a single season.
    Yes, I think it should be LSU first. But this is less important than knowing what four teams will be in, and there is no doubt whatsoever that these 4 made it, and nobody else.

    I think LSU is a clear first. I have no problem putting OSU second, but sometimes I wonder if Clemson is better. Before they finally won that game, they had one scare against UNC but these in-conference rivalries sometimes yield surprises. Everybody else, they destroyed, decimated. The problem is, they haven't played anybody good, their strength of schedule is down the drains. But it's not Clemson's fault that the ACC imploded, otherwise they'd have played more ranked teams. Wake Forest at one point was ranked, got decimated. Virginia got ranked at the very end, got decimated. And that's about it. So, they seem unproven... but the problem is, would they have decimated better teams too? Sometimes I think that they would.

    Besides, the one team that gave them trouble, UNC, is not that bad. They are unranked but ALL their losses were by one score. So, with a bit of luck here and there, UNC could have been ranked. Virginia Tech had a decent, rebuilding team that got briefly ranked too (and they lost to ND in the very last seconds when ND came out of a 4-and-10 and still scored the winning TD; had VT won that game, they'd have been solidly ranked), and UNC took Virginia Tech them to an epic 6OT game until they finally lost. Virginia Tech could have defeated UVa and faced Clemson in Charlotte; they lost to UVa a bit by accident after dominating the whole game. They'd still lose to Clemson but would have been a bit better competition than UVa, I think. Anyway, the bottom line is that the ACC had a few decent teams, and three of them got ranked at some point (Wake Forest, VT, and UVa), two unranked teams were decent (UNC and Pitt), but Clemson was unlucky that unlike other seasons, this season no other ACC team got to be really good.

    But OK, since they haven't played anybody in order to prove themselves, they'll have to be content with 3rd place. Now, they will play one or two games against top teams, and we'll learn if they are only good on paper, or for real. Because we can't discount them. They haven't lost in ages. They are the defending champions. They were the only team that could beat Alabama when Alabama was great. So, now, we'll have to see how they fare against, likely, OSU first, and if they get passed that, the winner of LSU and Oklahoma.

    I'm hoping for LSU vs. Clemson for the national title.

    I don't have a clear prediction. I think all four times are capable of winning it all, even Oklahoma.
    Last edited by GreatNews2night; 12-08-19 at 04:50 AM.

  5. #325
    Ass in a Hat


    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    109,816

    Re: College Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    At the time LSU played these 5 teams they were ranked in the top ten
    Texas #9
    Fla #7
    Auburn #9
    Alabama #3
    Ga #4

    At the time Ohio State played the teams on there schedule only 2 teams were ranked in the top ten
    Penn State #8
    Wisconsin #8

    When they played Michigan, Michigan was ranked 13th
    Yep. IMO just beating Alabama and Georgia was more than enough to elevate them past OSU.
    "Donald Trump is Jesus to followers of Jesus who reject the actual teachings of Jesus."

    Found on twitter

  6. #326
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    82,822
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: College Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Three dropped passes on opening drive followed by a muffed punt. Then two wide open receivers who fromm could not even get the ball close to and a missed FG. None of that matters who LSU has on the field.

    You dont know what you are talking about.
    If they played ten times, LSU would win nine. They have better players.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  7. #327
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    82,822
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: College Football 2019

    If I were selecting, I'd still keep OSU at No.1. Why? Because Wisconsin is quite a bit better than Georgia.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  8. #328
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    82,822
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: College Football 2019

    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

  9. #329
    Ass in a Hat


    calamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    109,816

    Re: College Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    If I were selecting, I'd still keep OSU at No.1. Why? Because Wisconsin is quite a bit better than Georgia.
    Going into last night, Georgia was #4 with only one loss. Wisconsin was at 8 with two. In no objective way is Wisconsin "quite a bit better" than GA.

    The only argument I saw that justified OSU as a number one is that they beat more top 25 teams than LSU, and by a wider margin/point differential. Beyond that, not really.

    Beating Bama in Tuscaloosa, with their starting QB still on the field, that is what takes LSU over the top, IMO.

    Now, maybe an argument can be made that Clemson does not deserve the 3-seed. But, they are National Champions and sitting there with a 13-0 record does take away the doubt about their worthiness over the fact that they have yet to play anyone of value.
    "Donald Trump is Jesus to followers of Jesus who reject the actual teachings of Jesus."

    Found on twitter

  10. #330
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    82,822
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: College Football 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Going into last night, Georgia was #4 with only one loss. Wisconsin was at 8 with two. In no objective way is Wisconsin "quite a bit better" than GA.

    The only argument I saw that justified OSU as a number one is that they beat more top 25 teams than LSU, and by a wider margin/point differential. Beyond that, not really.

    Beating Bama in Tuscaloosa, with their starting QB still on the field, that is what takes LSU over the top, IMO.

    Now, maybe an argument can be made that Clemson does not deserve the 3-seed. But, they are National Champions and sitting there with a 13-0 record does take away the doubt about their worthiness over the fact that they have yet to play anyone of value.
    My opinion is based entirely on the eye test. Wisconsin looks able to handle Georgia without too much trouble.
    "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." --Marcus Aurelius

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •