Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

  1. #11
    pleb nekrodev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,163

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Are you saying a Lamborghini should cost the same as a Ford Fiesta?
    No, but you probably couldn't legitimately justify the actual cost difference in terms of labor and materials. I'm sure the name plays a very large part of it.

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,106

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by nekrodev View Post
    given our other disagreements, I don't know if we'd agree on anything involving economics, but maybe?
    I'm definitely no economics expert, but I do understand supply and demand.

    What I don't understand is why a high school dropout commands $20 million a film or why athlete entertainers make so much money when EMSs and firefighters and etc. don't. What I mean is that we say we value thus and such but don't put our money where our mouths are.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    08-08-19 @ 09:26 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,693

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by nekrodev View Post
    No, but you probably couldn't legitimately justify the actual cost difference in terms of labor and materials. I'm sure the name plays a very large part of it.
    Actually I'm pretty sure the costs differences can be justified on many levels.

    Bottom line though is, what are people wiling to pay for the product?

    So regarding sports, how much money are teams/athletes generating?
    TV rights, sponsors, fan purchases.....

    If fans, TV, and sponsors are putting out the same money to watch women as men, then the women should get equal pay.
    Otherwise....oh well...
    Quote Originally Posted by it's just me View Post
    I do speak for all of Christianity, you just don't know what Christianity is.

  4. #14
    pleb nekrodev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,163

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm definitely no economics expert, but I do understand supply and demand.

    What I don't understand is why a high school dropout commands $20 million a film or why athlete entertainers make so much money when EMSs and firefighters and etc. don't. What I mean is that we say we value thus and such but don't put our money where our mouths are.
    maybe we would agree on this issue, then. i definitely agree that more crucial professions like EMS / police / firefighters should make more - under the condition that they are also required to be more rigorously trained (especially cops)

  5. #15
    pleb nekrodev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,163

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Actually I'm pretty sure the costs differences can be justified on many levels.

    Bottom line though is, what are people wiling to pay for the product?

    So regarding sports, how much money are teams/athletes generating?
    TV rights, sponsors, fan purchases.....

    If fans, TV, and sponsors are putting out the same money to watch women as men, then the women should get equal pay.
    Otherwise....oh well...
    Nothing should be determined by "what people are willing to pay". That's part of the problem with our current system.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    08-08-19 @ 09:26 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,693

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by nekrodev View Post
    Nothing should be determined by "what people are willing to pay".
    When it comes to entertainment, and especially sports, why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by it's just me View Post
    I do speak for all of Christianity, you just don't know what Christianity is.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,076

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by nekrodev View Post
    because as a society, we've decided labor costs should be decided by the job, not the about of consumer interest. that's why Lamborghinis cost more than Ford Fiestas, despite selling less than 1/1000th as many units. Most super expensive cars are at least partially handmade, and require very specific craftsmanship.
    No we havenít, all the top paying jobs are paid based on performance not by what job you have.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    08-08-19 @ 09:26 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,693

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    No we haven’t, all the top paying jobs are paid based on performance not by what job you have.
    Especially when it comes to sports.

    Why in Hell's Bells should anyone expect, or demand Elena Delle Donne get equal pay to Lebron James?
    Quote Originally Posted by it's just me View Post
    I do speak for all of Christianity, you just don't know what Christianity is.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,076

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Especially when it comes to sports.

    Why in Hell's Bells should anyone expect, or demand Elena Delle Donne get equal pay to Lebron James?
    In any industry though, top executives get around 75% of their compensation based on performance

  10. #20
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    08-08-19 @ 09:26 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,693

    Re: How To Solve the Equal Pay Issue Between Men & Women In Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    In any industry though, top executives get around 75% of their compensation based on performance
    Just trying to keep this discussion grounded in sports.

    But yeah, why should the top executives for the Cleveland Browns expect to get paid equal to top executives for the Patriots?

    Clearly one group is performing their tasks much better than the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by it's just me View Post
    I do speak for all of Christianity, you just don't know what Christianity is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •