Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 367

Thread: Nfl 2018

  1. #351
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,805
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Nfl 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Colts safety Shamarko Jones - First player ejected under the new helmet contact rule. Looked like he may have given David Moore a slight concussion, based on how his arms reacted. Textbook example of how NOT to tackle. Hell, you can't even call that a tackle. I've seen lots of people up in arms about the rule (on other sites), assuming it's going to take all the hard hits out of the game. Not true, it's trying to take bone-headed trash like that out of the game (with a vengeance, under threat of ejection). I'm told the NFL has instructed officials to "just throw the flag" whenever in doubt during pre-season, so they can compile a lot of examples for teaching points going into the regular season. So we may see some flags in pre-season for things that eventually won't be called after all. I also understand that New York can reverse an ejection if they determine that it wasn't especially egregious.
    I have to disagree. I think he was trying to go low to be legal and the receiver fell forward.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #352
    Sage
    Bucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,602
    Blog Entries
    14

    Re: Nfl 2018

    The browns may have found a star in Baker.

    If he is allowed to pay, the Browns could be a playoff team. He could be box office special.

    He definitely has opened my eyes.

  3. #353
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,584

    Re: Nfl 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    I think the problem is this rule, combined with the old CBA that limits padded practices are producing subpar players who dont have enough training to tackle properly, and in so doing more of these "bad" tacklings with severe penalties will happen- and in the end its the players who will suffer.
    I agree that limited contact in practice has had an affect on overall play, but tackling skill doesn't have to suffer from it. Bobby Wagner mentioned in a sideline interview last night that the Seahawks don't do ANY padded tackling in practice, they wait until pre-season to practice full speed tackling. Yet they consistently field one of the best and most consistent tackling defenses in the league. Here's how:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho&t=343s

    It's a 20 minute video but you'll get the gist in the first 5 minutes or so. Rugby-style tackling with shoulder leverage. Key the near hip and attack the near pec. Can be practiced effectively without pads at reduced speed. Fully compliant with the new rule. Proven effective in a top-5 NFL defense for several years in a row. Every team should be using it. Every team should've already been using it for the last four years. At every level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I have to disagree. I think he was trying to go low to be legal and the receiver fell forward.
    Moore's head did lower at the end, but Jones led with his head instead of his shoulder. It was essentially spearing. Wish I could find a gif to refer back to it, but I re-watched it about six times and remain convinced.

  4. #354
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,805
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Nfl 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    I agree that limited contact in practice has had an affect on overall play, but tackling skill doesn't have to suffer from it. Bobby Wagner mentioned in a sideline interview last night that the Seahawks don't do ANY padded tackling in practice, they wait until pre-season to practice full speed tackling. Yet they consistently field one of the best and most consistent tackling defenses in the league. Here's how:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho&t=343s

    It's a 20 minute video but you'll get the gist in the first 5 minutes or so. Rugby-style tackling with shoulder leverage. Key the near hip and attack the near pec. Can be practiced effectively without pads at reduced speed. Fully compliant with the new rule. Proven effective in a top-5 NFL defense for several years in a row. Every team should be using it. Every team should've already been using it for the last four years. At every level.


    Moore's head did lower at the end, but Jones led with his head instead of his shoulder. It was essentially spearing. Wish I could find a gif to refer back to it, but I re-watched it about six times and remain convinced.
    He led with his head not expecting the runner's head to be there. He was going for a low tackle.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #355
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    8,601

    Re: Nfl 2018

    Deflategate Part II. LOL[

    Report: NFL investigating deflated football Steelers used Thursday night


    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hursday-night/
    “If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”
    President Lyndon Baines Johnson...

  6. #356
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    50,745

    Re: Nfl 2018

    God ****ing Damnit

    Just had to get that out a moment.

    This is so Redskins.....

    Most excited I had been for a rookie since 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.
    "One of the greatest human failings is to prefer to be right than to be effective" - Stephen Fry

  7. #357
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,805
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Nfl 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    God ****ing Damnit

    Just had to get that out a moment.

    This is so Redskins.....

    Most excited I had been for a rookie since 2012.
    Really too bad.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #358
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    50,745

    Re: Nfl 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Really too bad.
    I have a feeling I"m just going to have to keep looking at my icon all year long and reminding myself that good things ARE possible despite decades of DC sports reality telling me otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.
    "One of the greatest human failings is to prefer to be right than to be effective" - Stephen Fry

  9. #359
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,805
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Nfl 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I have a feeling I"m just going to have to keep looking at my icon all year long and reminding myself that good things ARE possible despite decades of DC sports reality telling me otherwise.
    We live in hope.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #360
    Sage

    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,878

    Re: Nfl 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    God ****ing Damnit

    Just had to get that out a moment.

    This is so Redskins.....

    Most excited I had been for a rookie since 2012.
    I am also really pissed off, I have him in dozens of teams and now I am going to have to go and recruit a new player, this is so annoying.
    Rejoice, Lucifer Morningstar walks among us again, all hail Netflix

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •