Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

  1. #1
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    90,442
    Blog Entries
    3

    Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    Associated Press
    Tennessee state senator charged with stealing federal funds

    MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee state senator has been charged with stealing more than $600,000 in federal funds received by a health care company she directed and using the money to pay for her wedding and other personal expenses, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.
    A criminal complaint unsealed Wednesday charges state Sen. Katrina Robinson with theft and embezzlement involving government programs and wire fraud, U.S. Attorney D. Michael Dunavant said in a news release.
    Robinson, a Democrat elected to the General Assembly in 2018 from a Memphis district, is also the director of The Healthcare Institute, which provides training for jobs in the health care field, prosecutors said.
    The Memphis-based school received received more than $2.2 million in federal grants from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
    From 2015 through 2019, Robinson stole more than $600,000 and used it to pay for her wedding and honeymoon, a 2016 Jeep Renegade for her daughter, travel and entertainment for her family, and an event for her state Senate campaign, prosecutors said.
    She also used the money to pay for legal fees for her divorce, home improvements and a snow cone business operated by her children, prosecutors said.
    The FBI searched the school and her home in February. FBI agents visited her home again on Tuesday, FBI spokesman Joel Siscovic said.
    If convicted, Robinson faces a possible sentence of up to 20 years in federal prison. Robinson would be up for re-election in 2022. . . .
    "Above all, not too much zeal." --Prince Talleyrand

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Flori-duh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,018

    Re: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    May the fullest extent of the law land on her arse.
    I'm retired. I own my home mortgage free. I basically have no debt and every other week I spend in vero beach in an oceanfront condo.
    Someone please tell me again about how envious and jealous I am of others.

  3. #3
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    61,893

    Re: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by bongsaway View Post
    May the fullest extent of the law land on her arse.
    Yep, it should be divided into as many separate felony counts as possible and the maximum sentence for each repeat (after the first conviction) subsequent conviction - with all sentences to run consecutively.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #4
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NW USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,792

    Re: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    Over and over again we continue to see the audacity of elected people to think they can get away with this.

    Is anyone honest in government? Perhaps they are just reflective of our society. I truly believe if your wallet falls out of your pocket it is a 50-50 chance the next person to come along will just pocket it.

  5. #5
    Professor Court Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Associated Press
    Tennessee state senator charged with stealing federal funds

    MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee state senator has been charged with stealing more than $600,000 in federal funds received by a health care company she directed and using the money to pay for her wedding and other personal expenses, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.
    A criminal complaint unsealed Wednesday charges state Sen. Katrina Robinson with theft and embezzlement involving government programs and wire fraud, U.S. Attorney D. Michael Dunavant said in a news release.
    Robinson, a Democrat elected to the General Assembly in 2018 from a Memphis district, is also the director of The Healthcare Institute, which provides training for jobs in the health care field, prosecutors said.
    The Memphis-based school received received more than $2.2 million in federal grants from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
    From 2015 through 2019, Robinson stole more than $600,000 and used it to pay for her wedding and honeymoon, a 2016 Jeep Renegade for her daughter, travel and entertainment for her family, and an event for her state Senate campaign, prosecutors said.
    She also used the money to pay for legal fees for her divorce, home improvements and a snow cone business operated by her children, prosecutors said.
    The FBI searched the school and her home in February. FBI agents visited her home again on Tuesday, FBI spokesman Joel Siscovic said.
    If convicted, Robinson faces a possible sentence of up to 20 years in federal prison. Robinson would be up for re-election in 2022. . . .
    Another "hero" crossed off the list. Must be Trump's fault.



    ___________________________
    ALL LIVES MATTER
    Yours, mine, everyone's.
    https://www.debatepolitics.com/signaturepics/sigpic35398_1.gif

  6. #6
    Heading North
    Roadvirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Last Seen
    08-02-20 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,386

    Re: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    Tennessee: We just arrested a local politician for stealing money!
    Illinois politicians: Hold our beer...
    Judge: Every day i come in and i meet the dregs of society...and then i meet their clients.

  7. #7
    No Shame!
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Over and over again we continue to see the audacity of elected people to think they can get away with this.

    Is anyone honest in government? Perhaps they are just reflective of our society. I truly believe if your wallet falls out of your pocket it is a 50-50 chance the next person to come along will just pocket it.
    Especially in urban districts where voters will blindly vote for the same political party. You can be crooked as hell and maybe the feds will eventually nab you but most likely not.

    And low info urban voters will vote for whoever keeps the money flowing
    What socialized medicine REALLY means, sometimes the mask slips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist 2020 View Post
    I do not see were a woman has the right to take a child to full term.
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  8. #8
    No Shame!
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
    Another "hero" crossed off the list. Must be Trump's fault.



    Public ethics laws are a sign of whiteness
    What socialized medicine REALLY means, sometimes the mask slips!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist 2020 View Post
    I do not see were a woman has the right to take a child to full term.
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  9. #9
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NW USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,792

    Re: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Especially in urban districts where voters will blindly vote for the same political party. You can be crooked as hell and maybe the feds will eventually nab you but most likely not.

    And low info urban voters will vote for whoever keeps the money flowing
    Do we really need to put up all the names over the past few years of politicians' hand caught in the cookie jar or the pants of a young intern?

    It just isn't one particular party or area of the US. It is everywhere.

  10. #10
    A Little Bitter




    Mr Person's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    36,888

    Re: Tennessee State Senator Charged with Stealing Federal Funds

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Public ethics laws are a sign of whiteness
    Trumpism: the ugliness is the point
    "I take no responsibility" \ "When you do testing to that extent, you are gonna find more people, you’re gonna find more cases. So I said to my people slow the testing down please." - Trump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •