View Poll Results: Why did Trump Back Strange?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • McConnell told him to

    4 50.00%
  • Trump wants revenge on Bannon

    0 0%
  • Trump didn't know what he was doing.

    4 50.00%
  • Trump didn't know who Roy Moore was.

    1 12.50%
  • Trump didnít carefully look at all the options

    2 25.00%
  • Trump is an idiot.

    5 62.50%
  • Trump was right but Alabama was wrong.

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Why did Trump Back Strange?

  1. #1
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,424
    Blog Entries
    24

    Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Why did Trump back Luther Strange in Alabama:

    I really don't get it. What do you think? Trump's whole argument for Strange was that he was good and tough on stances like immigration. If someone told him to vote for Moore, there is no doubt in my mind that he would use the exact same talking points.

    I say it's because McConnell told him to, but then there are a whole lot of issues with that problem. Like why Trump wouldn't have done research to realize that his base including Bannon liked Moore better and that he's too easily swayed by getting a win-win deal with McConnell or really anybody. That should be troubling.
    Last edited by NeverTrumpGOP; 09-27-17 at 04:26 PM.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

    I'm not restricting your freedom of speech. I'm just saying you're wrong.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Hawkeye10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Olympia Wa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,887

    Re: Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    Why did Trump back Luther Strange in Alabama:

    I really don't get it. What do you think? Trump's whole argument for Strange was that he was good and tough on stances like immigration. If someone told him to vote for Moore, there is no doubt in my mind that he would use the exact same talking points.
    Trying to be a GOP Team Player.

    Not that this has ever gotten him anywhere.
    I regret that, in our attempt to establish some standards, we didn't make them stick, we couldn't find a way to pass them on to another generation, really.<<<<<<<Walter Cronkite

  3. #3
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,424
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Trying to be a GOP Team Player.

    Not that this has ever gotten him anywhere.
    That makes no sense. He was hardly a GOP team player at this point, it might have made sense three months ago when they were working on the first Health Care bill, but not now. Trump seems more pissed that Strange didn't win than McConnell does. Methinks McConnell played Trump, rendering the Trump brand completely worthless now.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

    I'm not restricting your freedom of speech. I'm just saying you're wrong.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,191
    Blog Entries
    27

    Re: Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    Why did Trump back Luther Strange in Alabama:

    I really don't get it. What do you think? Trump's whole argument for Strange was that he was good and tough on stances like immigration. If someone told him to vote for Moore, there is no doubt in my mind that he would use the exact same talking points.

    I say it's because McConnell told him to, but then there are a whole lot of issues with that problem. Like why Trump wouldn't have done research to realize that his base including Bannon liked Moore better and that he's too easily swayed by getting a win-win deal with McConnell or really anybody. That should be troubling.
    Strange had gone along with everything Trump proposed. Strange supported President Trump 100%. Why wouldn't Trump support someone who was behind him every step of the way? Trump knew he could count on Strange's vote come Hades and High Water.

    Now the question is, will Moore who is a heck of a lot more political incorrect give Trump the same type of support Strange had?
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Hawkeye10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Olympia Wa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,887

    Re: Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    That makes no sense. He was hardly a GOP team player at this point, it might have made sense three months ago when they were working on the first Health Care bill, but not now. Trump seems more pissed that Strange didn't win than McConnell does. Methinks McConnell played Trump, rendering the Trump brand completely worthless now.
    Trying to play ball with the DC ELITE R DIVISION will not hurt Trump, because we expect him to try to work with all of the willing.

    And he has been willing to do that, Trump is doing what we sent him to try to do, to the best of his abilities.

    The problem is the DC Elite both the D and the R DIVISIONS.

    NOT TRUMP
    I regret that, in our attempt to establish some standards, we didn't make them stick, we couldn't find a way to pass them on to another generation, really.<<<<<<<Walter Cronkite

  6. #6
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,458

    Re: Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Trying to be a GOP Team Player.

    Not that this has ever gotten him anywhere.
    Greetings, Hawkeye10.

    I read that Strange was a personal friend, which was doubtless why he backed him. IIRC, he didn't badmouth Moore, either, so all is okay, since it was up to the voters to make their choice.

  7. #7
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    17,052
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    Why did Trump back Luther Strange in Alabama:

    I really don't get it. What do you think? Trump's whole argument for Strange was that he was good and tough on stances like immigration. If someone told him to vote for Moore, there is no doubt in my mind that he would use the exact same talking points.

    I say it's because McConnell told him to, but then there are a whole lot of issues with that problem. Like why Trump wouldn't have done research to realize that his base including Bannon liked Moore better and that he's too easily swayed by getting a win-win deal with McConnell or really anybody. That should be troubling.
    He was just tired of winning.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  8. #8
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,164

    Re: Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    Why did Trump back Luther Strange in Alabama:

    I really don't get it. What do you think? Trump's whole argument for Strange was that he was good and tough on stances like immigration. If someone told him to vote for Moore, there is no doubt in my mind that he would use the exact same talking points.

    I say it's because McConnell told him to, but then there are a whole lot of issues with that problem. Like why Trump wouldn't have done research to realize that his base including Bannon liked Moore better and that he's too easily swayed by getting a win-win deal with McConnell or really anybody. That should be troubling.
    You didn't offer a speculative choice that matches my suspicion, so I didn't vote.

    Here's what I think: Trump played McConnell.

    I think Trump made a deal with Mitch...that Trump would support his guy in return for McConnell's support in certain legislations. Trump kept his part of the deal and he'll hold Mitch to his part. In effect, I think Trump put Mitch in a box.

    I also think Trump sees this as a win-win and that's why Trump isn't really upset about the loss...in spite of reports about Trump being pissed that Strange lost. Heck, it would be within Trump's sense of tactics to leak this "pissed" report himself.

    Oh...maybe people don't know about this report. Here: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/politi...ore/index.html
    TANSTAAFL

    ďAn armed society is a polite society.Ē
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  9. #9
    Guru cuban smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,844

    Re: Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Trump was only inserting himself into the election.
    Trump is all about Trump.
    In Trump's narrow minded way of looking at the world it was just another opportunity for Trump to promote Trump, period.
    Germany & Scotland must be ****hole countries because that is where Trumpís family is from.
    I guess America is now a ****hole country since we have a POTUS whose family came from ****hole countries.

  10. #10
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why did Trump Back Strange?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTrumpGOP View Post
    Why did Trump back Luther Strange in Alabama:

    I really don't get it. What do you think? Trump's whole argument for Strange was that he was good and tough on stances like immigration. If someone told him to vote for Moore, there is no doubt in my mind that he would use the exact same talking points.

    I say it's because McConnell told him to, but then there are a whole lot of issues with that problem. Like why Trump wouldn't have done research to realize that his base including Bannon liked Moore better and that he's too easily swayed by getting a win-win deal with McConnell or really anybody. That should be troubling.
    Why didn't Trump back a guy who was fired from his job twice? I dunno, would you hire financial analyst who can't do math and got fired twice? Would you hire a geographer who got fired twice for being unable to read a map? Would you hire a banker who was fired twice for helping burglars rob their place of employment?
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •