Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

  1. #11
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    95,945
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    I would hardly say the north kicked ass. It was a very bloody and, at many points, a closely contested war.
    Bloody yes, close, no. Grant had won the war by 1862 with his strategy in the west. It just took the confederates a long time to admit the loss.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  2. #12
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-19-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Well, let's ask one of the primary movers and shakers of the confederates, Alexander Stephens(you may have heard of him, he was important):



    So he seems to disagree with you...
    Sure, he was the VP of the CSA and actually, that was definitely a part of the issue between the Confederacy and the Union.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  3. #13
    global liberation
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    76,815

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    Because they felt like the federal government was overreaching, but that's not what I'm getting at. What I'm trying to get around to, is why would someone want the Confederate states, as they are now, to secede; would they even be viable?
    Putting your repetitive answers aside (states rights and federal government over-reach are the same thing, same answer), what was the federal government over-reaching about?

  4. #14
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-19-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Bloody yes, close, no. Grant had won the war by 1862 with his strategy in the west. It just took the confederates a long time to admit the loss.
    I disagree, there were several points, where the morale was low and popular opinion was near bottom in the north. Though, Grant was a hell of a general.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  5. #15
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-19-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Putting your repetitive answers aside (states rights and federal government over-reach are the same thing, same answer), what was the federal government over-reaching about?
    Again, that's not what I want this thread to be about. The original point of this thread was stated previously.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  6. #16
    global liberation
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    76,815

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    Again, that's not what I want this thread to be about. The original point of this thread was stated previously.
    If you don't know what the South was about, how can you know the answer to your question?

  7. #17
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-19-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Driving to Florida about a month ago along I-75, about 10 miles into Georgia from TN, I spotted some yahoo's idea of making a point. He had a C flag up on a flagpole that was higher than the surrounding trees. Wife and both were like, "What kind of moron does that?"

    ...then we looked at each other, and said, "Trump voter!"
    Trump voters are definitely...misguided.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    95,945
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    I disagree, there were several points, where the morale was low and popular opinion was near bottom in the north. Though, Grant was a hell of a general.
    AS history shows, the north was never at a point it was ready to give up, and despite Lee's evident skill on defense, his inability to figure out how to push the north harder ensured giving up was not an option.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  9. #19
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-19-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    If you don't know what the South was about, how can you know the answer to your question?
    I know exactly what the south was about, I live here, but I'm not going to stand aside and have the thread derailed and degenerated into another "the Civil War was about slaves" thread, we already have about 5 of those. So, you can answer the point previously stated or you can not.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  10. #20
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    95,945
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why Would You Even Want the South to Rise Again?

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    Sure, he was the VP of the CSA and actually, that was definitely a part of the issue between the Confederacy and the Union.
    To say it was "part of the issue" would be like saying the sun is part of what warms the Earth. While there where other factors, they are insignificant in the face of the big one.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •