Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 221 to 227 of 227

Thread: Gay Teacher in Texas Wins Court Fight

  1. #221
    Guru
    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,917

    Re: Gay Teacher in Texas Wins Court Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post
    You're working on the basis that what was reported was accurate, honest, and complete.

    I treat every news article I read--whether from a mainstream source or not--as incomplete, for very good reason.

    But I'll tell you what: rather than us speculating over what is or isn't complete, I'll look up the record of the case later this week (time permitting, and assuming it's accessible online). I'm genuinely curious as to the specifics.
    You didn't just assume it was incomplete though, you assumed it was incomplete in a specific direction. You didn't even consider speculating that the behaviour of the school was worse than reported. It was only the presumptive speculation I was questioning. I'm not accepting everything written as unquestionable truth but I'm not assuming anything, positive or negative, that isn't in evidence.

  2. #222
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    85,603

    Re: Gay Teacher in Texas Wins Court Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    My point was to establish that you were just trolling. The problem is that the "gay agenda" trope and accusations of indoctrinating (and by association abusing) children is incessant and dangerous. It isn't something to play around with.
    Depends... sometimes doing so wakes people up or lightens the mood about serious issues.

    Abusers don't need an excuse to be abusive...

  3. #223
    Educator Court Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Last Seen
    05-28-20 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,168

    Re: Gay Teacher in Texas Wins Court Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post

    I grew up in a church, I was devoted too. Until I learned it was hypocritical. I was hurt for a while over that.

    So you gave it up because the people were hypocritical, or because you determined that the theology (the application of 'divine' revelation found in the texts) was hypocritical or wrong? Sounds more like a you problem to me than a problem with the texts. Or is it that it WAS the texts and what is said about homosexuality that you had a problem with and not the people?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I was talking about strictly American people walking away. 59% of my generation born in the church has walked away. I don't mean 59% of the generation good grow up in a church or had parents that weren't too into church. I mean 59% of people in my generation that attended church stopped.
    This my issue with young people and you are still very young compared to me. Your generation is far to focused on the very limited time span and what you seem to think YOU experience. Apostasy in the Christian faith has occurred many times in great degrees over thousands of years.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I wonder if it will increase with gen z
    The West is the leader of the world. Where the West goes the rest of the world will follow except for maybe the backward theocracies that exist, such as Uganda or Afghanistan.
    You think too much of the west and our very limited time at the top of the pyramid. The Roman empire lasted for 1000 years, we have only been a little more than 200 years.


    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I guess that's really all a matter of opinion. I would say the Christian church indoctrinates people into believing that it's wrong and now that that indoctrination has ceased to work on most of the people we're seeing the results.
    The texts say what they say. Homosexuality is clearly described as unnatural and wrong in the Christian texts. So then sure, either believe it or reject it. But there is no compatibility in my view unless the interpretation of the texts are redefined to make homosexuality fit where it doesn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    what if you believe there is some sort of conspiracy of getting people to try in indoctrinate kids into their accepting homosexuality then, I guess you're free to believe that.
    Good, let's talk about it in terms other than theological. You keep assuming that is where this all comes from, that it is just uptight Christians who are complaining. So here is how the indoctrination works: In the interest of political correctness and virtue signaling many teachers are telling kids that homosexuality is equal to heterosexuality in nature. Not talking about civil rights... they are suggesting that homosexuality is exactly as natural and preferable in nature to heterosexuality.

    So when someone like me says, "Do what you prefer, I honor your liberty of choice, but don't demand from me agreement that it is the same... that bothers them. It bothers them because in the back of their minds there is that tiny grain of doubt which convinces them they are not the same (in nature).

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    you shouldn't feel so threatened. Nobody's trying to replace you
    I'm not threatened at all. I'm only speaking about the reality. That homosexuality is in nature an aberration.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    It's just we evolved out of more backward beliefs are really based on myth.
    This isn't the world is flat thing. Homosexuality is less than preferred by nature. It is a biological reality.


    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post

    that's an oxymoron. You can't say you're making a theological argument well at the same time applying intelligence and discernment to nature which is a phenomenon that possesses neither.
    yeah people in the developing world see Christianity is a little backward. Promoting beliefs that have no reason and have no use in society is kind of waste.
    You are making a theological argument you just calling God nature. You claim that nature decides, or prefers, or concludes. You're saying nature is an intelligent designer.
    Are you saying nature does not take a course that has a purpose? Do you believe that nature is only randomness and chaos?

    I'm not making a theological argument. People can believe nature to be by design, or by evolution--- doesn't matter to me. But nature figures stuff out for the purpose of survival, it always does. And that is my point about comparing homosexuality to heterosexuality. One is less than, and the other greater than--- in nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    It's not, it is the phenomenon of the physical world.
    So then just random chaos?


    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    the idea of nature preferring or deciding things is based on faith.
    Actually it is based on science. Observing the way things work, or how they don't work.
    ___________________________
    Ignorance of your rights is no excuse.

  4. #224
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    38,221

    Re: Gay Teacher in Texas Wins Court Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by COTO View Post


    The system worked fine. The teachers were consummate professionals and I got a top-notch education.
    I just don't believe you that this system ever existed.
    You Yankees ought to give it a try. Maybe then your public schools wouldn't be ranked fourth-to-last in math literacy and dead last in digital technology literacy in the OECD.
    I'm not a Yankee I'm from Texas

  5. #225
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    38,221

    Re: Gay Teacher in Texas Wins Court Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
    So you gave it up because the people were hypocritical, or because you determined that the theology (the application of 'divine' revelation found in the texts) was hypocritical or wrong? Sounds more like a you problem to me than a problem with the texts. Or is it that it WAS the texts and what is said about homosexuality that you had a problem with and not the people?
    no because the organization was hypocritical. In one breath they say it's wrong to be homosexual well at the same time covering up their officials molesting children. They say they're open to everyone and everyone is welcome except the people they don't like.



    This my issue with young people and you are still very young compared to me. Your generation is far to focused on the very limited time span and what you seem to think YOU experience. Apostasy in the Christian faith has occurred many times in great degrees over thousands of years.



    You think too much of the west and our very limited time at the top of the pyramid. The Roman empire lasted for 1000 years, we have only been a little more than 200 years.
    200 years? So Western culture began in 1820?



    The texts say what they say. Homosexuality is clearly described as unnatural and wrong in the Christian texts. So then sure, either believe it or reject it. But there is no compatibility in my view unless the interpretation of the texts are redefined to make homosexuality fit where it doesn't.
    sorry I don't see anywhere in the text where it says we should alienate these people. In fact I can find places where it says you shouldn't. But those parts of the Bible aren't as important.

    Hypocrisy.


    Good, let's talk about it in terms other than theological. You keep assuming that is where this all comes from, that it is just uptight Christians who are complaining. So here is how the indoctrination works: In the interest of political correctness and virtue signaling many teachers are telling kids that homosexuality is equal to heterosexuality in nature. Not talking about civil rights... they are suggesting that homosexuality is exactly as natural and preferable in nature to heterosexuality.

    So when someone like me says, "Do what you prefer, I honor your liberty of choice, but don't demand from me agreement that it is the same... that bothers them. It bothers them because in the back of their minds there is that tiny grain of doubt which convinces them they are not the same (in nature).
    how do you know what's in people's minds? A you a psychic?


    I'm not threatened at all. I'm only speaking about the reality. That homosexuality is in nature an aberration.



    This isn't the world is flat thing. Homosexuality is less than preferred by nature. It is a biological reality.




    Are you saying nature does not take a course that has a purpose? Do you believe that nature is only randomness and chaos?

    I'm not making a theological argument. People can believe nature to be by design, or by evolution--- doesn't matter to me. But nature figures stuff out for the purpose of survival, it always does. And that is my point about comparing homosexuality to heterosexuality. One is less than, and the other greater than--- in nature.



    So then just random chaos?




    Aberration means deviation from normal. You have to first define normal to say something is an aberration. If normal was the neanderthal, Cro-Magnon man was an aberration. Aberrations are unnatural in your mind then reality isn't compatible with your definition of nature. Every time a new life is conceived the DNA of that new life is unique and divergent. Without divergence we would all be clones or more likely stromatolites.

    When you say nature prefers or decides you're assigning nature intelligence. so you're basically making nature into a God because you can't clean out at central nervous system, it would have to be an ethereal deity. So yes that is theological.

    So you believe nature is intelligent design which is fine you can believe whatever you want. But there's no factual basis for that so of course that is theological.

    also I said that nature is a phenomenon not that it's chaos or randomness that's not what the phenomenon means. A phenomenon is a fact or a situation you can observe but you can't explain. That's why you and so many people before you have assigned nature some sort of them godlike persona.

    Actually it is based on science. Observing the way things work, or how they don't work.
    I'm sorry where did you study science?

    I find it extremely doubtful that it's part of the science to believe nature has some sort of ethereal intelligence and power. That is a religious belief.

  6. #226
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    38,221

    Re: Gay Teacher in Texas Wins Court Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Depends... sometimes doing so wakes people up or lightens the mood about serious issues.

    Abusers don't need an excuse to be abusive...
    I agree all things are acceptable to home about depending on time and place. (You don't want to make a rape joke if you are a cop questioning a victim of rape)

  7. #227
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    85,603

    Re: Gay Teacher in Texas Wins Court Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I agree all things are acceptable to home about depending on time and place. (You don't want to make a rape joke if you are a cop questioning a victim of rape)
    Agreed...

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •