Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 22 of 22

Thread: Controversial Opinion: Pedophilia should be considered akin to a mental illness (slight rant)

  1. #21
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,996

    Re: Controversial Opinion: Pedophilia should be considered akin to a mental illness (slight rant)

    Quote Originally Posted by nobody1875 View Post
    1) This is not a point of contention worth talking about. I heard it "a lot" in videos I specifically looked up that supported the idea. I apologize for being hyperbolic in a way that I did not make clear to others.
    I was not trying to be misleading.
    2) I don;t know what your point is, sorry. Can you elaborate?
    3.) I think this is a case where we need a lot more statistics on the matter. How many pedophiles who seek therapy have viewed child porn, and, for those who have and/or still do, is that a good reason to report them to the police? Does the fact that they are currently trying to seek help matter, if they are also currently doing something illegal? Surely, if some one is seeking therapy for their urges, child porn might be brought up and if it is, then what is the therapist to do? There is such a lack of precident on this matter.
    I was in a rush when writing my first post, and neglected to clarify that I do not think that pedophilia, in general, would be reported to police, but I think actions in regards to child porn would be reported. Also, in retrospect, I recognize a slippery slope fallacy and generalization fallacy I made, in having assumed that all pedophiles will have viewed child porn. I think there needs to be a lot more research done on the matter though.
    4.) Again, I apologize that I didn't clarify that I meant for child porn.
    1.) so you havent actually "heard it a lot" in any reasonable sense and your OP instantly fails becasue of that fact . . . got it. In the future simply dont make false claims and people wont question them
    2.) no point just pointing out your claim ia factually wrong
    3.) what you "think" is irreverent to what i asked. Ill ask you again "ive never heard of this happening (breaching confidentiality) unless it involves a crime committed already or a crime thats definitely going to happen. again any examples of this to support your claim?
    4.) what? so when you said:
    I think these people need help and a certain amount of sympathy for something they cannot control. I think the world needs to catch up so we can do more research on the matter and actually help, instead of trying to just lock them up and throwing away the key.
    you meant child porn? that makes no sense . . again where in the US are we just locking them up not trying to help and throwing away the key?
    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I think there is an argument that racist black people outnumber racist white people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    46,657

    Re: Controversial Opinion: Pedophilia should be considered akin to a mental illness (slight rant)

    Quote Originally Posted by nobody1875 View Post
    Should they be locked up before they've done something wrong though? Define "can't control their urges"? I'm all for rehabilitation as opposed to fruitless incarceration. I'm also all for stopping a problem before it even becomes a problem. Prevention is important! In this country, as far as I am aware, most psychologists do not even know how to go about treating pedophiles. They have no idea what works or what doesn't, because it is so under researched. Truth be told, no matter how progressive some psychologists seem, they tend to be just as disgusted by pedophiles as the average person. That's why I say it needs to be less socially stigmatized. Because, only then, do I think we can approach the subject with any bit of rationality and actually help people.
    Should we then lock people up because they might have a proclivity to rob convenience stores, defraud investors, murder people, or whatever other crimes we want to prevent? That seems to me a bit extreme, not to mention not possible in the real world.


    "The Republicans have gone from Abraham Lincoln to Sarah Palin to Donald Trump. No wonder they don't believe in evolution." Andy Borowitz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •