Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 228

Thread: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    new zealand.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,388

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Did I get it wrong? How about this then:

    Professor to students: 'You will find in the scientific community those who adamantly insist God has no place in science. Don't be bothered by them. Science is not closed minded. We still don't know what sparked the big bang since nothing existed before the bang. That leaves God as a possible cause, if nothing more.'
    Again you contradict yourself. If as you claim nothing existed before the big bang then you really cannot then suddenly insist a god existed. Either it was nothing or there was something. And if you lean towards something then something that caused a big bang is more probable than a god because something did cause a big bang where as so far you have nothing to indicate a god even existed.

  2. #52
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    65,439

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Did I get it wrong? How about this then:

    Professor to students: 'You will find in the scientific community those who adamantly insist God has no place in science. Don't be bothered by them. Science is not closed minded. We still don't know what sparked the big bang since nothing existed before the bang. That leaves God as a possible cause, if nothing more.'

    You did get it wrong, yes. Nobody said either of these.

    No evidence supports or contradicts the existence of god, because there’s no test you can run to gather that evidence. If you have such a test, scientists would be reeaaaallly interested in hearing about it.

    So, the best way to describe it is that science simply has no opinion on god.
    “personal attorney” to Individual-1, who at that point had become the President of the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't know who [Individual-1] is and neither do you.

  3. #53
    Guru
    Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Seen
    01-17-20 @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,823

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Let's start with Stephen Hawking.

    "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational."

    OK. Let's chalk up one supporter of the idea that science proves the existence of aliens. Let's see next whether science also proves the existence of God.
    God and aliens is not even the same argument. We know life exists on this planet. We know there are billions of stars and even more planets in this enormouse univerise. We know a large amount of those would have conditions like earth hospitable for life, and even have identified several such planets. The probabability of life on other planets is very large given all those facts

    We have no evidence of some magical creatures that created everything. NO such existence of god. So the comparison is not even the same. One has logic, one doesn't

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    22,840

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by soylentgreen View Post
    Again you contradict yourself. If as you claim nothing existed before the big bang then you really cannot then suddenly insist a god existed. Either it was nothing or there was something. And if you lean towards something then something that caused a big bang is more probable than a god because something did cause a big bang where as so far you have nothing to indicate a god even existed.
    Should teachers tell kids not to consider God as a possible explanation for the origin of the universe and origin of life on earth?

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    22,840

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You did get it wrong, yes. Nobody said either of these.

    No evidence supports or contradicts the existence of god, because there’s no test you can run to gather that evidence. If you have such a test, scientists would be reeaaaallly interested in hearing about it.

    So, the best way to describe it is that science simply has no opinion on god.
    Should teachers tell kids not consider God as a possible explanation for the origin of the universe and the origin of life on earth?

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    22,840

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by Sampson Simpson View Post
    God and aliens is not even the same argument. We know life exists on this planet. We know there are billions of stars and even more planets in this enormouse univerise. We know a large amount of those would have conditions like earth hospitable for life, and even have identified several such planets. The probabability of life on other planets is very large given all those facts

    We have no evidence of some magical creatures that created everything. NO such existence of god. So the comparison is not even the same. One has logic, one doesn't
    You believe science should accept the possibility or probability of aliens but not the possibility or probability of God?

  7. #57
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    65,439

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    Should teachers tell kids not consider God as a possible explanation for the origin of the universe and the origin of life on earth?
    Not in a science classroom, no. Only science should be taught in science class.

    Do you think cookie recipes should be taught in history class?
    “personal attorney” to Individual-1, who at that point had become the President of the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't know who [Individual-1] is and neither do you.

  8. #58
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    65,439

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by marke View Post
    You believe science should accept the possibility or probability of aliens but not the possibility or probability of God?
    Correct, because aliens can be evaluated on a scientific basis, and god cannot.

    How would you, marke, suggest I measure god?
    “personal attorney” to Individual-1, who at that point had become the President of the United States
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't know who [Individual-1] is and neither do you.

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    22,840

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by Sampson Simpson View Post
    God and aliens is not even the same argument. We know life exists on this planet. We know there are billions of stars and even more planets in this enormouse univerise. We know a large amount of those would have conditions like earth hospitable for life, and even have identified several such planets. The probabability of life on other planets is very large given all those facts

    We have no evidence of some magical creatures that created everything. NO such existence of god. So the comparison is not even the same. One has logic, one doesn't
    Let's sum up your arguments: 'We know life exists. We know there is life on other planets. We know there are billions of stars. We know different stars have different environments. And we know there is a possibility if not probability that we may find alien life out there somewhere even if we don't know for sure.'

    I'm OK with that. So what again is you opposition to the possibility of finding evidence of God out there somewhere?

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    22,840

    Re: Top scientists comment on their research into God and aliens

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Not in a science classroom, no. Only science should be taught in science class.

    Do you think cookie recipes should be taught in history class?
    What are you saying, that various theories about the source of the origin of life on earth should not be discussed in science class?

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •