Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 88

Thread: Smell that?

  1. #11
    Superiorman!
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    52,059

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I started with Debian . . oh, back when AT&T rolled out @Home. Then went to Red Hat, and am now on Gentoo. Each with their pluses and minuses.
    I'm not nerd enough to do arch but I wish I was. I'm a bit bummed about the fact that Red Hat was bought out by IBM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    I'm a moderate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Supporting Trump is absolutely Christian

  2. #12
    Generally Inadvisable

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    29,636
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    That's the smell of a fresh Operating System baby! Just breathed life back into my very old 32 bit system. Running like a champ. I love installing a new OS. It's getting harder to find any OS that supports 32 bit anymore though.
    Why?? Yes, I do realize it's cheap to do it.
    But still...why??
    Thirty-two is DEAD, deader than fried chicken.

    But I get it, you love the fact that Debian works on your machine.
    I have an old 32 box that is running a flavor of Linux (don't ask because I no longer remember, maybe Ubuntu-something?) but it's basically nothing more than a repurposed home security system.
    Fanless power supply, SSD drive, fanless proc, fanless IT security type video graphics card, so no moving parts. It will probably run for another ten years no problem.
    It runs in "lights out mode" or...what do they call it..."headless mode?" I just know it doesn't need keyboard, mouse or monitor.
    I access it remotely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    Putin would make a better president than Hillary.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    It IS NOT the job of the United States government to protect reporters overseas. It IS the job the United States government to preserve the freedom of the press here in the US.

  3. #13
    Sage
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    34,500
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I'm not nerd enough to do arch but I wish I was. I'm a bit bummed about the fact that Red Hat was bought out by IBM.
    From the various binary Linux distributions that I've toyed around with over the years, they are all about the same level. The best thing about Linux is that it is quickly becoming, if it isn't already, the most documented OS out there, where the vast majority of answers to questions are a mere web search away.

    Gentoo is different from most in that it is 100% source distribution. You are essentially building your own binary distribution, so you can do pretty much what you want with it.

    Sometimes it's a challenge, but the distribution rock solid reliable, having problems only when hardware starts having problems. It is one of the few distributions that doesn't force you to use systemd for managing services, as being old school, I prefer init rc scripts. It's a philosophy thing.

    I wouldn't run Gentoo on anything less than 3 PCs network with identical software build configurations, because then you can take advantage of distributed compilation, so the software building part goes pretty quickly, throwing at least 6 CPU cores at it, and once the binary package is built and saved, any PC after the first just installed the binary package avoiding the compilation.

    Right now, I'm running Gentoo 4 PCs, 3 of which are 4 core, 1 2 core, all supporting the distributed compilation and the same build environment.

    I've been keeping an eye on Single System Image clustering, where the same OS runs on all members of the cluster, but rather than behaving and being viewed as individual nodes of a cluster, all the systems are viewed as a single larger, more capable computing system. This would be ideal, as once you've loaded and configuring a new node, and add it to the cluster, you've just seamlessly grown the size and capability of your computing system. Maybe some day.
    Covington Catholic, BuzzFeed Cohen story,
    Beyond BuzzFeed: The 10 Worst, Most Embarrassing U.S. Media Failures on the Trump/Russia Story
    Don't believe the lying leftist 'news' (political propaganda) media! #JournalismIsDead

  4. #14
    Superiorman!
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    52,059

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    Why?? Yes, I do realize it's cheap to do it.
    But still...why??
    Thirty-two is DEAD, deader than fried chicken.

    But I get it, you love the fact that Debian works on your machine.
    I have an old 32 box that is running a flavor of Linux (don't ask because I no longer remember, maybe Ubuntu-something?) but it's basically nothing more than a repurposed home security system.
    Fanless power supply, SSD drive, fanless proc, fanless IT security type video graphics card, so no moving parts. It will probably run for another ten years no problem.
    It runs in "lights out mode" or...what do they call it..."headless mode?" I just know it doesn't need keyboard, mouse or monitor.
    I access it remotely.
    I don't want to buy a new laptop just to cruise the internet. My desktop exists and that's fine for heavier lifting but for internet cruising... don't need a new powerful thing. My laptop is over 10 years old. I have a SSD in it and it runs rather fast because of that. I don't store any data on it. The only thing it could use is a new battery and those aren't that badly priced. I was expecting obsolete prices but I've seen them as low as $23.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    I'm a moderate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Supporting Trump is absolutely Christian

  5. #15
    Superiorman!
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    52,059

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    From the various binary Linux distributions that I've toyed around with over the years, they are all about the same level. The best thing about Linux is that it is quickly becoming, if it isn't already, the most documented OS out there, where the vast majority of answers to questions are a mere web search away.

    Gentoo is different from most in that it is 100% source distribution. You are essentially building your own binary distribution, so you can do pretty much what you want with it.

    Sometimes it's a challenge, but the distribution rock solid reliable, having problems only when hardware starts having problems. It is one of the few distributions that doesn't force you to use systemd for managing services, as being old school, I prefer init rc scripts. It's a philosophy thing.

    I wouldn't run Gentoo on anything less than 3 PCs network with identical software build configurations, because then you can take advantage of distributed compilation, so the software building part goes pretty quickly, throwing at least 6 CPU cores at it, and once the binary package is built and saved, any PC after the first just installed the binary package avoiding the compilation.

    Right now, I'm running Gentoo 4 PCs, 3 of which are 4 core, 1 2 core, all supporting the distributed compilation and the same build environment.

    I've been keeping an eye on Single System Image clustering, where the same OS runs on all members of the cluster, but rather than behaving and being viewed as individual nodes of a cluster, all the systems are viewed as a single larger, more capable computing system. This would be ideal, as once you've loaded and configuring a new node, and add it to the cluster, you've just seamlessly grown the size and capability of your computing system. Maybe some day.
    Over my head. I've been running linux on stuff since probably 2003/2004. Started with Mandrake and Suse and Lindows. I stick to debian based linux systems these days because Ubuntu's popularity has been such a massive draw to the developer community porting to debian and this has expanded it's software repository quite a bit making it really easy to install so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    I'm a moderate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Supporting Trump is absolutely Christian

  6. #16
    MSG Benavides TAB
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    68,348

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Debian
    How well does Debian interface with Microsoft office products? Or do you use the Google docs programs?

  7. #17
    Generally Inadvisable

    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    29,636
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I don't want to buy a new laptop just to cruise the internet. My desktop exists and that's fine for heavier lifting but for internet cruising... don't need a new powerful thing. My laptop is over 10 years old. I have a SSD in it and it runs rather fast because of that. I don't store any data on it. The only thing it could use is a new battery and those aren't that badly priced. I was expecting obsolete prices but I've seen them as low as $23.
    I totally get it.
    Same here.
    I am a film editor, so I have a couple of very decent enterprise level super workstation machines, and I generally don't turn them on just to visit DP or to watch YouTube or read email or whatever.
    The box I use for that is a rather pedestrian machine, six cores, about eight years old...works just fine.
    (I had to go look to remember what it was - it's a motherboard from Biostar)

    We do have two laptops, one is an old HP, and the other is Karen's Microsoft Surface.
    I generally despise laptops anyway but it is still the same user profile as you, cheap machine for the net and the good machines for work stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical View Post
    Putin would make a better president than Hillary.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    It IS NOT the job of the United States government to protect reporters overseas. It IS the job the United States government to preserve the freedom of the press here in the US.

  8. #18
    Superiorman!
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    52,059

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    How well does Debian interface with Microsoft office products? Or do you use the Google docs programs?
    Office products in the open source world is Libre Office or Open Office. Unless you want to do the cloud with Google products. The two programs I mentioned can open and save in MS Office file formats.

    Those office products can be installed on windows if you want to test them out.

    Last edited by poweRob; 11-30-19 at 10:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    I'm a moderate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Supporting Trump is absolutely Christian

  9. #19
    Superiorman!
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    52,059

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    From the various binary Linux distributions that I've toyed around with over the years, they are all about the same level. The best thing about Linux is that it is quickly becoming, if it isn't already, the most documented OS out there, where the vast majority of answers to questions are a mere web search away.
    This is why I love open source so much. People are eager to share resolutions. Wasn't always that way. Back when I first started with linux the linux snobbery was rampant couldn't stand that attitude. I'm an end user and like the gui and if you asked anything about trying to find a gui interface for something, some linux snob would weigh in and tell you, "go back to windows". Now-a-days, people love to share. Not just linux issues but any open source programming issue. You don't have to crawl to some proprietary website, start a profile with that company just to share ideas. You just do a search and someone, somewhere confronted the same issues you are facing and most likely found a work-around or a how-to. I've introduced an open source product where I work and I love playing with it. They haven't give me enough back end privileges to use it 100% yet... but I'm working on them.

    I was at first getting blown off a work about it but then a couple years ago my organization was in contract negotiations with the proprietary software company we use and in the middle of the discussions the time bomb in the software went off and locked us out of our data. The license ran out and needed to be renewed and it happened during the contract renegotiation. That set the division manager off in a tizzy and he started looking more at the open source alternative I was proposing.

    If it gets slow, I just search up some tutorials in that software and learn new things. It's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    I'm a moderate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Supporting Trump is absolutely Christian

  10. #20
    Sage
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    34,500
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Smell that?

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    This is why I love open source so much. People are eager to share resolutions. Wasn't always that way. Back when I first started with linux the linux snobbery was rampant couldn't stand that attitude.
    True, the UNIX old timers kept quoting 'RTFM' - Read The Fine Manual. This was before the Internet really took off, and there weren't so many (if any at all) published pages on that information.

    I'm an end user and like the gui and if you asked anything about trying to find a gui interface for something, some linux snob would weigh in and tell you, "go back to windows". Now-a-days, people love to share.
    There was a time in Linux's development where there were configurations you could do that simply didn't have a GUI to configure them, this then forced you to edit the text 'conf' (config) files. Having gone through that learning curve, editing conf files in vi isn't a big deal, and by dealing with the software at that level, you really are under the hood, and you do learn how things actually work, or are afforded an opportunity to learn this.

    Not just linux issues but any open source programming issue. You don't have to crawl to some proprietary website, start a profile with that company just to share ideas. You just do a search and someone, somewhere confronted the same issues you are facing and most likely found a work-around or a how-to.
    This is usually true, though depends on the problem domain and the solution domain sought. There are some dark corners which are still relatively obscure and undocumented, but you are 100% correct in the 90% to 95%, which is still far, far more than any proprietary web site can offer.

    I've introduced an open source product where I work and I love playing with it. They haven't give me enough back end privileges to use it 100% yet... but I'm working on them.
    Nice. Keep going.

    I was at first getting blown off a work about it but then a couple years ago my organization was in contract negotiations with the proprietary software company we use and in the middle of the discussions the time bomb in the software went off and locked us out of our data. The license ran out and needed to be renewed and it happened during the contract renegotiation. That set the division manager off in a tizzy and he started looking more at the open source alternative I was proposing.

    If it gets slow, I just search up some tutorials in that software and learn new things. It's fun.
    Yup. It's fun.
    Covington Catholic, BuzzFeed Cohen story,
    Beyond BuzzFeed: The 10 Worst, Most Embarrassing U.S. Media Failures on the Trump/Russia Story
    Don't believe the lying leftist 'news' (political propaganda) media! #JournalismIsDead

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •