Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: A Little 5G Primer

  1. #1
    Well, okay...
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,753

    A Little 5G Primer

    This really is a big deal. When products are optimized to take advantage of it the performance will be killer.
    5G is the ugly duckling of technology, yet it is the one that will radically change the world. According to the MIT Technology Review, 5G is a "technological paradigm shift, akin to the shift from the typewriter to the computer."

    While another reference to Moore's Law -- Gordon Moore's prediction that processing speeds would double about every 18 months at lower prices -- makes me want to heave, it remains true to form.

    5G will represent the greatest leap in processing speed since computing began, and it's predicted that 5G will be a staggering twenty times faster than 4G.

    Its true impact will not only be felt as a result of faster processing. 5G is an entirely different technology, utilizing new radio frequencies and shorter wavelengths, providing a level of connectivity the world has never seen. Here are seven ways small and mid-market businesses will benefit.
    https://www.inc.com/marc-emmer/this-...-about-it.html
    Fear not : Today is always a Mulligan; tomorrow is always a do-over!

  2. #2
    Guru


    JacksinPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,554

    Re: A Little 5G Primer

    I just upgraded my Verizon wireless router from 4G to 5G. Supposed to provide a stronger singnal to my TV & tablet upstairs, but they still only listen to the 4G signal which is stringer.
    "We'll all go together when we go, all suffused with an incandescent glow..." - Tom Lehrer

  3. #3
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,802

    Re: A Little 5G Primer

    Quote Originally Posted by <alt>doxygen View Post
    This really is a big deal. When products are optimized to take advantage of it the performance will be killer.


    https://www.inc.com/marc-emmer/this-...-about-it.html
    Moore’s law is at 36 months now and in 6 years we are going to hit the physical limits so it will end until we come up with a new technology. As for the 4g vs 5g I don’t think I would call it world changing if you already have 4g. My home internet is almost 20 times faster than 4g and it isn’t fundamentally different on what I can do with it.

  4. #4
    Well, okay...
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,753

    Re: A Little 5G Primer

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Moore’s law is at 36 months now and in 6 years we are going to hit the physical limits so it will end until we come up with a new technology. As for the 4g vs 5g I don’t think I would call it world changing if you already have 4g. My home internet is almost 20 times faster than 4g and it isn’t fundamentally different on what I can do with it.
    I agree the article was over the top. The transmission layer is only one part of the problem.

    I suspect 5G will impact the mobile devices far more substantially than home table top stuff. The key will be getting processors that can provide the bandwidth to take full advantage while keeping power consumption at a level where the user doesn't need a 1 lb battery and their hand doesn't melt.
    Fear not : Today is always a Mulligan; tomorrow is always a do-over!

  5. #5
    Well, okay...
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,753

    Re: A Little 5G Primer

    Quote Originally Posted by JacksinPA View Post
    I just upgraded my Verizon wireless router from 4G to 5G. Supposed to provide a stronger singnal to my TV & tablet upstairs, but they still only listen to the 4G signal which is stringer.
    I guess Verizon needs to upgrade some infrastructure for it. If you have AT&T / Comcast in your area the competition may force them all to up investment.
    Fear not : Today is always a Mulligan; tomorrow is always a do-over!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •