Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Ammonia as fuel

  1. #1
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,360

    Ammonia as fuel

    I look every so often at the progress in the power to liquid fuel research,
    and came across this piece of research.
    Nitrogen-Based Fuels: A Power-to-Fuel-to-Power Analysis - Grinberg?Dana - 2016 - Angewandte Chemie International Edition - Wiley Online Library
    Storing hydrogen attached to nitrogen, has some merits, in that nitrogen is easy to capture,
    I question them saying that ammonia is non toxic, perhaps less than gasoline, but still very toxic.
    I have read that people converted vehicles to run on ammonia during WW2 fuel shortages,
    I suspect it would not be much different that liquid propane.
    Everyone could tell if something was leaking!

  2. #2
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,165

    Re: Ammonia as fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    I look every so often at the progress in the power to liquid fuel research,
    and came across this piece of research.
    Nitrogen-Based Fuels: A Power-to-Fuel-to-Power Analysis - Grinberg?Dana - 2016 - Angewandte Chemie International Edition - Wiley Online Library
    Storing hydrogen attached to nitrogen, has some merits, in that nitrogen is easy to capture,
    I question them saying that ammonia is non toxic, perhaps less than gasoline, but still very toxic.
    I have read that people converted vehicles to run on ammonia during WW2 fuel shortages,
    I suspect it would not be much different that liquid propane.
    Everyone could tell if something was leaking!
    Is there a possibility we could start mining all those dirty disposable diapers?

  3. #3
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,360

    Re: Ammonia as fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    Is there a possibility we could start mining all those dirty disposable diapers?
    I think those are best left in reserve for future generations.

  4. #4
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,165

    Re: Ammonia as fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    I think those are best left in reserve for future generations.
    It's a renewable resource.

  5. #5
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,360

    Re: Ammonia as fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    It's a renewable resource.
    Fair enough, but not the lowest hanging fruit.

  6. #6
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,165

    Re: Ammonia as fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    Fair enough, but not the lowest hanging fruit.
    Parents could recoup at least some of the cost of the Pampers.

  7. #7
    Sage
    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,009

    Re: Ammonia as fuel

    Well, There is an article here about using NH3 as a source for fuel for fuel cells https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...64032116001611

    If NH3 is able to be used as a fuel cell, the byproducts woudl be nitrogen gas and water. That would solve the following problems.

    1) The release of Co2 into the atmosphere.
    2) The storage of hydrogen and the ability to transport it, and fuel the vehicle.

    The issue then would be making the ammonia, and how much energy you can get per gallon. The thought is interesting though.
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

    Let us pray for Trump. Psalm 109:8

  8. #8
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,360

    Re: Ammonia as fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    Well, There is an article here about using NH3 as a source for fuel for fuel cells https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...64032116001611

    If NH3 is able to be used as a fuel cell, the byproducts woudl be nitrogen gas and water. That would solve the following problems.

    1) The release of Co2 into the atmosphere.
    2) The storage of hydrogen and the ability to transport it, and fuel the vehicle.

    The issue then would be making the ammonia, and how much energy you can get per gallon. The thought is interesting though.
    You can burn ammonia in an IC engine also, (but I suspect you may need different lubricates)
    I think incomplete fuel burning would create a smelly mess.
    I favor carrying hydrogen has a hydrocarbon, but mostly because our current infrastructure
    is compatible. Man made hydrocarbons could be carbon neutral as well.

  9. #9
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    03-22-18 @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,629

    Re: Ammonia as fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by bearpoker View Post
    Is there a possibility we could start mining all those dirty disposable diapers?
    Cat piss? Brings a whole new meaning to herding cats.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  10. #10
    Sage
    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,009

    Re: Ammonia as fuel

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    You can burn ammonia in an IC engine also, (but I suspect you may need different lubricates)
    I think incomplete fuel burning would create a smelly mess.
    I favor carrying hydrogen has a hydrocarbon, but mostly because our current infrastructure
    is compatible. Man made hydrocarbons could be carbon neutral as well.
    The current infrastructure would be able to handle liquids.. and ammonia is a liquid.
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

    Let us pray for Trump. Psalm 109:8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •