Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 192

Thread: Can there be an all mighty god?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    10-23-18 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,435

    Can there be an all mighty god?

    I'm not religious in the least, I have more then enough reason to be anti religious, rape, war, slavery the list goes on and on, but I don't hold it against anyone for being religious. If that's what works for you then God bless.

    My real question here is, can a god (all religions are based on a god, gods, god like figure), be all mighty?

    A say not.

  2. #2
    Educator Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-13-18 @ 06:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    994

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by lefty louie View Post
    I'm not religious in the least, I have more then enough reason to be anti religious, rape, war, slavery the list goes on and on, but I don't hold it against anyone for being religious. If that's what works for you then God bless.

    My real question here is, can a god (all religions are based on a god, gods, god like figure), be all mighty?

    A say not.
    That's not something anyone can possibly know for sure. And just by simple rules of logic, if you aren't 100% certain that it isn't possible, you have to accept that it is possible.
    Black Lives matter. Until you multiply them by the speed of light squared, then Black Lives energy.

  3. #3
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,766
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    That's not something anyone can possibly know for sure. And just by simple rules of logic, if you aren't 100% certain that it isn't possible, you have to accept that it is possible.
    It gets crazy pedantic, but technically if you aren't sure it's impossible, then you have to accept that it's possible that it's possible. Not that the actual thing is possible.

    For example, flipping a coin. You look at a coin, it's heads and tails, inspect it, it's an average everyday coin. So you can say "it's possible the next flip will be heads" or "it's possible the next flip will be tails".

    But lets say you don't inspect the coin. The coin is a double headed coin. If you say "it's possible that the next flip will be tails" is now false. It's actually impossible. But under your terms, you weren't 100% sure due to lack of knowledge, so you called it possible. But it was never actually possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  4. #4
    Educator Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-13-18 @ 06:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    994

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    It gets crazy pedantic, but technically if you aren't sure it's impossible, then you have to accept that it's possible that it's possible. Not that the actual thing is possible.

    For example, flipping a coin. You look at a coin, it's heads and tails, inspect it, it's an average everyday coin. So you can say "it's possible the next flip will be heads" or "it's possible the next flip will be tails".

    But lets say you don't inspect the coin. The coin is a double headed coin. If you say "it's possible that the next flip will be tails" is now false. It's actually impossible. But under your terms, you weren't 100% sure due to lack of knowledge, so you called it possible. But it was never actually possible.
    Oh it's totally pedantic, I agree. But on the subject of "can a god be almighty?" There is no way to 100% prove that there cannot be, so you have to accept the possibility. To be honest, I wish more people understood exactly what that means, but you clearly have a grasp of it. Thumbs up!
    Black Lives matter. Until you multiply them by the speed of light squared, then Black Lives energy.

  5. #5
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,766
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Oh it's totally pedantic, I agree. But on the subject of "can a god be almighty?" There is no way to 100% prove that there cannot be, so you have to accept the possibility. To be honest, I wish more people understood exactly what that means, but you clearly have a grasp of it. Thumbs up!
    Well, these philosophical arguments essentially have to get a bit pedantic sometimes.

    For instance, can god be all mighty? Depends on what you mean by all mighty. Does that mean a god can do anything, even that which contradicts logic? Like, can god make a 4 sided triangle? Or can he make a rock so big that he can't lift it? You have to change all mighty to "can god do everything that is not logically impossible?" Which is more in the "we can't know" camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    10-23-18 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,435

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Well just for argument sake, we can all agree that no god can be the all mighty (Do everything).

  7. #7
    Educator Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-13-18 @ 06:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    994

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by lefty louie View Post
    Well just for argument sake, we can all agree that no god can be the all mighty (Do everything).
    No, we cannot.
    Black Lives matter. Until you multiply them by the speed of light squared, then Black Lives energy.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    10-23-18 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,435

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    No, we cannot.
    Well then, can god, any god, create an object so big that even he cannot lift it? It's a simple yes or no.

  9. #9
    Professor
    beancounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    At the Center of Eternity
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    By definition, gods are Omnipotent.

    Quote Originally Posted by lefty louie View Post
    My real question here is, can a god (all religions are based on a god, gods, god like figure), be all mighty?
    If you have to resort to insults, name calling, ad hominem attacks, straw men, red herrings, appeals to authority, and other dirty debate tactics, the veracity of you argument is questionable.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    10-23-18 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,435

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    By definition, gods are Omnipotent.
    Yet a simple yes or no will get to the bottom of this. I profess there is no such thing as omnipotent.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •