Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 192

Thread: Can there be an all mighty god?

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    47,584

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    That sophomoric satire has misled many an otherwise bright fellow.
    But its ok. Just because you have been misled does not mean you can't get back on track

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-15-19 @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,693

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    No, I'm afraid "could be possible" just means "possibly possible," and that just means "possible."

    No, the word impossible is formed by negating the word possible: in+possible = impossible.

    No, east is not the negation of west. And "east-west" is not analogous to "possible-impossible."

    No, your assertion that "saying something could be possible allows for it to be impossible" is incorrect and false.

    If you insist on denying or rejecting the basic meanings of words in order to defend the untenable position you've adopted here, then we have nothing more to discuss, Quag.

    Peace, brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Yes I already stated that

    No it doesnt


    Possible/impossible are antonyms
    Possible:
    Impossible:
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/



    No it isnt


    I am the one actually providing the definition of words with links to dictionaries so I dont see how you can claim I am rejecting the basic meanings of words or have an untenable position.
    As much as I disagree with Quag when it comes to religious views, he's spot on about this "usage of logic" debate though... "could be possible" and "possible" are two different things... the first quote is for when you haven't yet established that something is possible, you haven't seen it happen yet, so from a purely logical standpoint, you don't truly know either way... it could be possible, but it could also be impossible, you just don't know because you haven't seen it happen... the second quote is for when you have now seen it happen at least one time, so you can now logically establish that something is definitely not impossible because it in fact did happen at least once...

    Maybe I didn't describe it in a very good way, but that's my attempt at making it clearer... Quag can correct me if I'm agreeing with him in an illogical way
    Last edited by gfm7175; 12-16-17 at 12:03 PM.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-15-19 @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,693

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Well, we have the Gospel accounts of Jesus. Can you tell me some important person or event in the Gospels that's been shown to be false, as in Santa Claus?



    There's going to be natural disasters and people are going to gasp that last breath of air whether there's a God or not. But at least with God those things are temporary. Heaven rocks, and it's a shame unbelievers are going to miss it.
    Sort of unrelated, but as a fellow believer, I think you'd be interested in this video...

    https://youtu.be/8hOKA9fR2p4

    Stuff like this only further convinces me that the God of The Bible is who he says he is... its amazing when you open your heart and ponder it...

  4. #94
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,661

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    As much as I disagree with Quag when it comes to religious views, he's spot on about this "usage of logic" debate though... "could be possible" and "possible" are two different things... the first quote is for when you haven't yet established that something is possible, you haven't seen it happen yet, so from a purely logical standpoint, you don't truly know either way... it could be possible, but it could also be impossible, you just don't know because you haven't seen it happen... the second quote is for when you have now seen it happen at least one time, so you can now logically establish that something is definitely not impossible because it in fact did happen at least once...

    Maybe I didn't describe it in a very good way, but that's my attempt at making it clearer... Quag can correct me if I'm agreeing with him in an illogical way
    The only point I disagree with is the need to have seen it happen at least once, cant think of an example ATM but something can be proven possible but not actually happen.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  5. #95
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,314

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    If only one of the 9 people killed in that church in Charleston 2 years ago had faith then maybe God would have caused the killer's gun to misfire.

    If someone survives a tragedy then it is God's work. If someone doesn't survive a tragedy does that same God ever get the blame?


    If you want to believe in that I guess that is fine. At one time people believed the earth was flat and that was resolved.
    Why are you trying to compare surviving/not surviving a tragedy to the erroneous belief that the world was flat? Science was able finally to demonstrate that this isnít so and, centuries later, we now have photographic evidence from space. What are you expecting science to demonstrate here?

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-15-19 @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,693

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    The only point I disagree with is the need to have seen it happen at least once, cant think of an example ATM but something can be proven possible but not actually happen.
    Interesting point you bring up... And I can't think of an example offhand either, but would be interested in somebody coming up with one...
    Last edited by gfm7175; 12-16-17 at 12:47 PM.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Last Seen
    10-15-19 @ 06:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,693

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Why are you trying to compare surviving/not surviving a tragedy to the erroneous belief that the world was flat? Science was able finally to demonstrate that this isn’t so and, centuries later, we now have photographic evidence from space. What are you expecting science to demonstrate here?
    It's also interesting that Isaiah 40:22 and Job 26:10 both seem to make reference to a circular shaped earth back when those books were written.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,643
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    As much as I disagree with Quag when it comes to religious views, he's spot on about this "usage of logic" debate though... "could be possible" and "possible" are two different things... the first quote is for when you haven't yet established that something is possible, you haven't seen it happen yet, so from a purely logical standpoint, you don't truly know either way... it could be possible, but it could also be impossible, you just don't know because you haven't seen it happen... the second quote is for when you have now seen it happen at least one time, so you can now logically establish that something is definitely not impossible because it in fact did happen at least once...

    Maybe I didn't describe it in a very good way, but that's my attempt at making it clearer... Quag can correct me if I'm agreeing with him in an illogical way
    No, "could be" indicates possibility. And this is what logic says:

    In S4, □□...□ = □ and ◊◊...◊ = ◊. This amounts to the idea that iteration of the modal operators is superfluous. Saying that A is necessarily necessary is considered a uselessly long-winded way of saying that A is necessary. [And saying that A is possibly possible is considered a uselessly long-winded way of saying that A is possible.]
    Knowledge Representation with Non-Classical Logic
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://i.imgur.com/u68aMie.jpg</a>
    "I'm not 100% sure that you and I exist, but I'm surer that God exists than that you exist, and I'm as sure God exists as I am that I exist."
    Angel Trismegistus

  9. #99
    Sage
    William Rea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,949

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Yes I already stated that

    No it doesnt


    Possible/impossible are antonyms
    Possible:
    Impossible:
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/



    No it isnt


    I am the one actually providing the definition of words with links to dictionaries so I dont see how you can claim I am rejecting the basic meanings of words or have an untenable position.
    In fairness to Angel, we ended up having to resort to 'possibly possible' with Frank because he would not accept the logical caveat in the definition of 'possible'. That said, you are absolutely correct in the case of this assertion to dig your heels in until the not impossible/possible apologetic is cleared up.

  10. #100
    Sage
    William Rea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,949

    Re: Can there be an all mighty god?

    Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    Interesting point you bring up... And I can't think of an example offhand either, but would be interested in somebody coming up with one...
    It applies to anything that inhabits the realm of our ignorance. It is actually an appeal to ignorance so pick your concept on that basis and you will have one.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •