Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 374

Thread: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    03-22-18 @ 05:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,629

    You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    I donít like making statements like this, but sadly I believe this is true now. And before we get into it...I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MORAL VIEWS OR ETHICS AND IíM NOT SAYING DEMOCRATS CANNOT BE CHRISTIAN.

    There. Now thatís that is out of the way. I think there has been a shift in the Democrat Party. And I think it has come even within the past 10 years or so. And it kinda disturbs me. It disturbs me because the people who should care...donít. They donít even see it. In fact...they are so wrapped up in their politics that they donít even recognize that they are doing it. And the reverse is not true in this case. You will not find this sentiment in the republican camp. So what am I saying specifically?

    I think that modern democrats have so aligned themselves that many democrats do not believe they can reconcile their faith with their politics. To the point that it seems many democrats feel that being a Christian automatically means you canít be a real democrat. It even means you are a republican and hold certain views that they find repugnant. And what has this lead to? An openly hostile atmosphere FROM the left against those who have faith. And now. It isnít ďall democrats,Ē but I feel more open hostility and discomfort if Iím in an open discussion and I mention Iím a Christian. You would think the party of ďtoleranceĒ would understand how wrong this is, but it seems to have gone over their head. Completely. You even have some who openly insult people just for having faith.

    I personally think this has to do with the LGBT movement of course. That is a given. And many democrats failed to see that this divide...was even in churches. It didnít just stop at the door. Personally? Iím ok with gay marriage. And gays. I donít care. Doesnít bother me. But because there was opposition and the right took up the stance and then the democrats hijacked the movement (once the objective was completed) and now we have the left attacking their enemy the ďChristian right.Ē And it isnít just about gay marriage now. Does anyone else feel the left has become openly hostile towards Christians (and to some extent Jews or other religions)? If not openly hostile...would you be willing to see more intolerant? That the Democrat Party has decided their views cannot coexist with a ďgood ChristianĒ or a ďgood JewĒ or a ďgood Muslim?Ē

  2. #2
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    95,501

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Nah, it's just you.

  3. #3
    Guru
    MrPeanut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Huntington, WV
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,698

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Could you elaborate on what you are trying to say about the LGBT movement? I am assuming you are referring to the fact that Democrats basically don't accept people who are anti-gay. If I'm wrong just let me know. I don't think you need to be anti-gay to be a Christian.

  4. #4
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    No longer Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    11-29-19 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,673

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack50 View Post
    I don’t like making statements like this, but sadly I believe this is true now. And before we get into it...I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MORAL VIEWS OR ETHICS AND I’M NOT SAYING DEMOCRATS CANNOT BE CHRISTIAN.

    There. Now that’s that is out of the way. I think there has been a shift in the Democrat Party. And I think it has come even within the past 10 years or so. And it kinda disturbs me. It disturbs me because the people who should care...don’t. They don’t even see it. In fact...they are so wrapped up in their politics that they don’t even recognize that they are doing it. And the reverse is not true in this case. You will not find this sentiment in the republican camp. So what am I saying specifically?

    I think that modern democrats have so aligned themselves that many democrats do not believe they can reconcile their faith with their politics. To the point that it seems many democrats feel that being a Christian automatically means you can’t be a real democrat. It even means you are a republican and hold certain views that they find repugnant. And what has this lead to? An openly hostile atmosphere FROM the left against those who have faith. And now. It isn’t “all democrats,” but I feel more open hostility and discomfort if I’m in an open discussion and I mention I’m a Christian. You would think the party of “tolerance” would understand how wrong this is, but it seems to have gone over their head. Completely. You even have some who openly insult people just for having faith.

    I personally think this has to do with the LGBT movement of course. That is a given. And many democrats failed to see that this divide...was even in churches. It didn’t just stop at the door. Personally? I’m ok with gay marriage. And gays. I don’t care. Doesn’t bother me. But because there was opposition and the right took up the stance and then the democrats hijacked the movement (once the objective was completed) and now we have the left attacking their enemy the “Christian right.” And it isn’t just about gay marriage now. Does anyone else feel the left has become openly hostile towards Christians (and to some extent Jews or other religions)? If not openly hostile...would you be willing to see more intolerant? That the Democrat Party has decided their views cannot coexist with a “good Christian” or a “good Jew” or a “good Muslim?”
    Wow. That is a profoundly ignorant and ill-informed post. There are innumerable democrats and leftists of faith.

    And 'democrat party'? Never heard of it. But if you mean the 'Democratic Party', then perhaps you'd be intersted in speaking with a one Barak Obama and, no, the party has not decided what you're claiming it's decided.

    Could you be any more transparent?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    03-22-18 @ 05:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,629

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you are trying to say about the LGBT movement? I am assuming you are referring to the fact that Democrats basically don't accept people who are anti-gay. If I'm wrong just let me know. I don't think you need to be anti-gay to be a Christian.
    Sort of wrong. But sort of right. You are correct. You don’t need to be anti gay to be a Christian (I’m not). And that is something I don’t think many democrats recognize. And in fact...I might argue they even feel that being Christians means you HAVE to be anti gay and that there is no other options. And I think it is if not directly...then still certainly partially...the fault of republicans for politicizing gay marriage.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    03-22-18 @ 05:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,629

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Nah, it's just you.
    Easy way to avoid the discussion. I guess you aren’t a Christian in a liberal town then. I could see why you would ha zero understanding on the topic. You might also be one of the democrats I mentioned too. :/

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    03-22-18 @ 05:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,629

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngrisnir View Post
    Wow. That is a profoundly ignorant and ill-informed post. There are innumerable democrats and leftists of faith.
    This is why I have you on ignore. You skipped the part that is underlined, italicized, bolded, and in all caps.

    No **** their are democrats of faith. That wasnít the point I was making.

    And 'democrat party'? Never heard of it. But if you mean the 'Democratic Party', then perhaps you'd be intersted in speaking with a one Barak Obama and, no, the party has not decided what you're claiming it's decided.

    Could you be any more transparent?
    Listen. I know reading comprehension is hard, but I cannot be anymore transparent than underlining, capslocking, italicizing, and bolding my statements as well as stating exactly what I mean. Maybe if you are having this much trouble with basic reading comprehension you should reconsider being on an internet debate forum? You could try Hooked on Phonics.

    Back to the ignore list with you.

  8. #8
    Guru
    MrPeanut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Huntington, WV
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,698

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack50 View Post
    Sort of wrong. But sort of right. You are correct. You don’t need to be anti gay to be a Christian (I’m not). And that is something I don’t think many democrats recognize. And in fact...I might argue they even feel that being Christians means you HAVE to be anti gay and that there is no other options. And I think it is if not directly...then still certainly partially...the fault of republicans for politicizing gay marriage.
    I think you are talking about aggressive atheists more than just Democrats. There are plenty of them in the alt-right as well. I'll agree that right now there is more aggression towards Christians than before, but that has a lot to do with there being almost no criticism of Christianity previously. If you say that being an evangelical Christian makes it hard to be a good Democrat I would agree.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,533

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack50 View Post
    This is why I have you on ignore. You skipped the part that is underlined, italicized, bolded, and in all caps.

    No **** their are democrats of faith. That wasn’t the point I was making.



    Listen. I know reading comprehension is hard, but I cannot be anymore transparent than underlining, capslocking, italicizing, and bolding my statements as well as stating exactly what I mean. Maybe if you are having this much trouble with basic reading comprehension you should reconsider being on an internet debate forum? You could try Hooked on Phonics.

    Back to the ignore list with you.
    Please put me on your ignore list too.

  10. #10
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    No longer Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    11-29-19 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,673

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack50 View Post
    This is why I have you on ignore. You skipped the part that is underlined, italicized, bolded, and in all caps.

    No **** their are democrats of faith. That wasnít the point I was making.
    And yet you left the title exactly as it was, contradicting your bull**** rationalization about underlining, etc....

    You have me on ignore because I call you on your bull**** and you have no answer other than to sputter and flouder about when you can't defend the claims you've made.

    Listen. I know reading comprehension is hard, but I cannot be anymore transparent than underlining, capslocking, italicizing, and bolding my statements as well as stating exactly what I mean. Maybe if you are having this much trouble with basic reading comprehension you should reconsider being on an internet debate forum? You could try Hooked on Phonics.

    Back to the ignore list with you.
    Good to see that you haven't changed. Spouting talking points, blindly lashing out at democrats in pure emotion using the smokescreen of religious concern and faux persecution and running from your own statements when cornered.

    I have news for you: no democrat cares that you claim to be a Christian. It's your actions that matter, not your claims.

    A lesson you still haven't learned.

    Hey, nice talking to you!

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •