Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 374

Thread: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    03-22-18 @ 05:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,629

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    As I see it, if you are truly spiritual/religious, then you really should have absolutely NO deep connection with either/any political party.

    Most your post seems to be nothing more than "war on christians" herp derp nonsense.
    It isn’t “war on Christmas. It is more addressing the...bigotry is too strong of a word...but intolerance...the left has brought to the table. I see a lot of denial of this by democrat members here. And mainly through a desire to “ignore” the problem. Even though I’m sure you have heard people doing this. Like I said. I live in a liberal town. And it is painfully obvious when I listen to democrats speak on any topic where faith comes up.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    03-22-18 @ 05:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,629

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    But you don’t mind accusing Democrats of doing the exact opposite?

    Very much from the outside, it seems to me that you’re facing an issue with some Democrats who think Christianity is incompatible with their values but equally some Christians who think Democrat values are incompatible with their faith. I don’t think either of those extreme views are reflected in the mainstream core of either group and, as has been pointed out, the majority of Democrats will be Christian themselves.

    I think this boils down to issues with broad labelling. In reality, there isn’t one type of Democrat and there isn’t one type of Christian. Any question along the lines of “Why to X do this?” is typically based flawed assumptions and broad generalisation. That’s essentially what your post is doing though ironically, in reaction to Democrats making the same mistake in relation to Christians. I’d suggest not attributing labels to anyone in this way but to treat every person you encounter as the individual they are. You’ll probably find that few if any actually match the stereotypes we build up in our minds.
    So 2 part response.

    1) I don’t think the opposite is true. But not for the same reason. I think that the opposite is not true BECAUSE there are a lot of democrat Christians. It is something that is seen in the Church. Especially when the church attempts to weigh in on political issues (guns to gays). So no I don’t think it is the same. I do think that the right has become more vocal in their opposition to the left, and since one of the biggest issues was gay marriage, I think that is his it really flared up.

    2) I completely agree about broad labeling. And that is what I’m addressing I suppose. And I will stipulate again...I don’t think democrats can’t be Christian. I feel that there are more “broad labeling” democrats that feel Christianity is...or someone’s faith...should come second to their politics.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    03-22-18 @ 05:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,629

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by holbritter View Post
    I think the problem is what you might consider a 'Christian' to be. What I mean is there are different beliefs in different denominations of Christianity. Roman Catholic, Protestant, Lutheran, Methodist and Evangelist. I know I'm forgetting some, but you get the point. The word Christian is the overall 'name'.

    So while I doubt you will find a Roman Catholic Democrat, you will in some of the other denominations.
    That is actually part of my point. There are. And I donít think many take the time to understand that. And it has left a bad taste in my mouth for sure. But I often wonder if democrat Christians have experienced the issue. If they feel they have to walk on eggshells around some of their more liberal friends on the topic.

  4. #24
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York State, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,360

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by holbritter View Post

    So while I doubt you will find a Roman Catholic Democrat,
    Typo?
    ďIf you can convince the lowest white man heís better than the best colored man, he wonít notice youíre picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and heíll empty his pockets for you.Ē
    President Lyndon Baines Johnson...

  5. #25
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,550

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Here's why this thread is nonsense.

    Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

    Poll: Most Americans Say They're Christian - ABC News


    As with all the "us poor, poor christians are under attack" threads, what's actually happening these days is some people are losing their cookies over the idea that christians can no longer make all the rules, for everyone, and expect everyone to just fall in line and obey it with blinders on.

    The Horror. The Horror.

  6. #26
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    19,646
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Arguably one cannot be "of this world" at all and be a "good Christian".

    So why stop at merely Democratic party membership?

    imhoa
    ymmv
    I may be wrong.

  7. #27
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New York State, USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,360

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Here's why this thread is nonsense.

    Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

    Poll: Most Americans Say They're Christian - ABC News


    As with all the "us poor, poor christians are under attack" threads, what's actually happening these days is some people are losing their cookies over the idea that christians can no longer make all the rules, for everyone, and expect everyone to just fall in line and obey it with blinders on.

    The Horror. The Horror.
    It's been proven without a doubt the GOP can't govern, and most of their policies are tired and old ideas that don't work. for proof just look at the mess of the GOP Admin and Congress.

    So the GOP NEEDS bogeymen, the NEED to play the victim card. Whites are under attack, Christians are being attacked, the mean media hates us, and on and on. Trump proved that tactic works.
    ďIf you can convince the lowest white man heís better than the best colored man, he wonít notice youíre picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and heíll empty his pockets for you.Ē
    President Lyndon Baines Johnson...

  8. #28
    Professor
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    10-23-19 @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,313

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack50 View Post
    I don’t like making statements like this, but sadly I believe this is true now. And before we get into it...I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MORAL VIEWS OR ETHICS AND I’M NOT SAYING DEMOCRATS CANNOT BE CHRISTIAN.

    There. Now that’s that is out of the way. I think there has been a shift in the Democrat Party. And I think it has come even within the past 10 years or so. And it kinda disturbs me. It disturbs me because the people who should care...don’t. They don’t even see it. In fact...they are so wrapped up in their politics that they don’t even recognize that they are doing it. And the reverse is not true in this case. You will not find this sentiment in the republican camp. So what am I saying specifically?

    I think that modern democrats have so aligned themselves that many democrats do not believe they can reconcile their faith with their politics. To the point that it seems many democrats feel that being a Christian automatically means you can’t be a real democrat. It even means you are a republican and hold certain views that they find repugnant. And what has this lead to? An openly hostile atmosphere FROM the left against those who have faith. And now. It isn’t “all democrats,” but I feel more open hostility and discomfort if I’m in an open discussion and I mention I’m a Christian. You would think the party of “tolerance” would understand how wrong this is, but it seems to have gone over their head. Completely. You even have some who openly insult people just for having faith.

    I personally think this has to do with the LGBT movement of course. That is a given. And many democrats failed to see that this divide...was even in churches. It didn’t just stop at the door. Personally? I’m ok with gay marriage. And gays. I don’t care. Doesn’t bother me. But because there was opposition and the right took up the stance and then the democrats hijacked the movement (once the objective was completed) and now we have the left attacking their enemy the “Christian right.” And it isn’t just about gay marriage now. Does anyone else feel the left has become openly hostile towards Christians (and to some extent Jews or other religions)? If not openly hostile...would you be willing to see more intolerant? That the Democrat Party has decided their views cannot coexist with a “good Christian” or a “good Jew” or a “good Muslim?”
    If Roy Moore wins in Alabama today, this will have just blown up in your face.

    And then I will tart a poll to see if the other forum members agree that you should change your forum name to Jokey Smurf.
    ďWe must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.Ē
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

  9. #29
    Sage
    ataraxia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,113

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack50 View Post
    I don’t like making statements like this, but sadly I believe this is true now. And before we get into it...I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MORAL VIEWS OR ETHICS AND I’M NOT SAYING DEMOCRATS CANNOT BE CHRISTIAN.

    There. Now that’s that is out of the way. I think there has been a shift in the Democrat Party. And I think it has come even within the past 10 years or so. And it kinda disturbs me. It disturbs me because the people who should care...don’t. They don’t even see it. In fact...they are so wrapped up in their politics that they don’t even recognize that they are doing it. And the reverse is not true in this case. You will not find this sentiment in the republican camp. So what am I saying specifically?

    I think that modern democrats have so aligned themselves that many democrats do not believe they can reconcile their faith with their politics. To the point that it seems many democrats feel that being a Christian automatically means you can’t be a real democrat. It even means you are a republican and hold certain views that they find repugnant. And what has this lead to? An openly hostile atmosphere FROM the left against those who have faith. And now. It isn’t “all democrats,” but I feel more open hostility and discomfort if I’m in an open discussion and I mention I’m a Christian. You would think the party of “tolerance” would understand how wrong this is, but it seems to have gone over their head. Completely. You even have some who openly insult people just for having faith.

    I personally think this has to do with the LGBT movement of course. That is a given. And many democrats failed to see that this divide...was even in churches. It didn’t just stop at the door. Personally? I’m ok with gay marriage. And gays. I don’t care. Doesn’t bother me. But because there was opposition and the right took up the stance and then the democrats hijacked the movement (once the objective was completed) and now we have the left attacking their enemy the “Christian right.” And it isn’t just about gay marriage now. Does anyone else feel the left has become openly hostile towards Christians (and to some extent Jews or other religions)? If not openly hostile...would you be willing to see more intolerant? That the Democrat Party has decided their views cannot coexist with a “good Christian” or a “good Jew” or a “good Muslim?”
    What's a problem is not Christianity, but using your religion to advance a political agenda. And more and more, that's what many people who call themselves "Christians" in this country are tending to do. And that's where the hostility comes. In that sense, it's not just modern Democrats who have a problem with Christianity. That hostility has been there since the founding of this country:

    " During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution...In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the Civil authority; in many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny: in no instance have they been seen the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty, may have found an established Clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just Government instituted to secure & perpetuate it needs them not."
    -James Madison

    "All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
    -Thomas Paine

  10. #30
    Sage
    GDViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    10,602

    Re: You canít be a good Christian and a good Democrat

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngrisnir View Post
    Wow. That is a profoundly ignorant and ill-informed post. There are innumerable democrats and leftists of faith.

    And 'democrat party'? Never heard of it. But if you mean the 'Democratic Party', then perhaps you'd be intersted in speaking with a one Barak Obama and, no, the party has not decided what you're claiming it's decided.

    Could you be any more transparent?


    So we have a pedophile republican running for office as a devout Christian with rnc support and it's do that can not be Christian?

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •