Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

  1. #11
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    The first amendment makes no reference to religion so all claims that it does are invalid.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay81 View Post
    The first amendment makes no reference to religion so all claims that it does are invalid.
    I believe you are wrong.

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  3. #13
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    55,514

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay81 View Post
    The first amendment makes no reference to religion so all claims that it does are invalid.
    Are you kidding me? Try actually reading it:

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #14
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    I believe you are wrong.

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    You are correct. The 1St amendment, as you posted it, does deny restrictions on religions which is the whole point of this thread.

  5. #15
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Are you kidding me? Try actually reading it:
    Try actually understanding the intent of it instead of just going off on a tangent.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    56,074

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay81 View Post
    Try actually understanding the intent of it instead of just going off on a tangent.
    Try actually understanding the 1st before commenting on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay81 View Post
    The first amendment makes no reference to religion so all claims that it does are invalid.
    Derp.
    'All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.'

    Douglas Adams

  7. #17
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    55,514

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay81 View Post
    Try actually understanding the intent of it instead of just going off on a tangent.
    Try actually expressing your intent instead of making ridiculously false claims. The 1A intended to prevent the nation (federal government) from establishing any particular religion and to allow those within it to be able to freely practice the religion of their choice. There may have been some (initial) debate as to whether it applied to state/local governments but that has long since been settled.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #18
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay81 View Post
    The first amendment makes no reference to religion so all claims that it does are invalid.
    First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay81 View Post
    You are correct. The 1St amendment, as you posted it, does deny restrictions on religions which is the whole point of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay81 View Post
    Try actually understanding the intent of it instead of just going off on a tangent.
    Having read a 'few' words written by a couple of guys who lived in 18th Century America, it seems to me that ALL religious faiths were intended to be protected under the Constitution. In case you don't know, but one of the reasons for the First Amendment was the ever so small fact that several of the states back then, had "state churches" which were funded, at least in part, by the taxes of the states' residents. There were also cases of preachers being arrested simply because they belonged to the wrong church.

    Are you like some present-day Americans who believe that only Judaism and Christianity are to be viewed as actual religions? All other beliefs simply don't comply with the definition of "religion" as intended by James Madison and his fellow founding fathers?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #19
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
    Try actually understanding the 1st before commenting on it.



    Derp.
    Maybe after you prove that you do.

  10. #20
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: Are Islam and Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhs and Pagans protected by the First Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.





    Having read a 'few' words written by a couple of guys who lived in 18th Century America, it seems to me that ALL religious faiths were intended to be protected under the Constitution. In case you don't know, but one of the reasons for the First Amendment was the ever so small fact that several of the states back then, had "state churches" which were funded, at least in part, by the taxes of the states' residents. There were also cases of preachers being arrested simply because they belonged to the wrong church.

    Are you like some present-day Americans who believe that only Judaism and Christianity are to be viewed as actual religions? All other beliefs simply don't comply with the definition of "religion" as intended by James Madison and his fellow founding fathers?
    Where, except in your fevered imagination, did you come up with that? Can you provide a quote where I indicated such? No facts from you, ignored on this topic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •