Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Seen
    10-23-18 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,435

    Re: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    You've made the claim; you produce the evidence.
    Did you read the link?

  2. #12
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,648

    Re: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    You've made the claim; you produce the evidence.
    Not the crime from the OP, but eerily similar.

    "In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."

  3. #13
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    11-08-19 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,034

    Re: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by lefty louie View Post
    Another reason to hate religion and what it does.

    (There are also reasons to admire religions)
    Name one.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me!

  4. #14
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    11-08-19 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,034

    Re: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    The man's being a priest had nothing to do with his murdering this young woman so long ago and everything to do with his being a sick and murderous man.
    Probably not, but religion made it easier, just like religion makes child molesting easier. Priests and other clergy get an automatic, but entirely undeserved respect and because many people see them as mouthpieces for God, they don't want to be honest when it comes to the priests committing crimes. Parents will leave their young children with priests and when something happens, are more apt to believe the priest over their own children. And then there are the churches which purposely hide these crimes from the proper authorities because as much as people talk about the blue wall of silence for police, it's even moreso the case with clergy, where one will not turn on another no matter what they've done. And you get entire congregations who, even when it's proven that their pastor has committed some heinous crime, they will stand behind him because again, he's the mouthpiece of God, he can't ever do anything wrong.

    Religion is a terrible thing, period. There is nothing demonstrably true or objectively useful that religion can provide the world.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me!

  5. #15
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,581

    Re: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Probably not, but religion made it easier, just like religion makes child molesting easier. Priests and other clergy get an automatic, but entirely undeserved respect and because many people see them as mouthpieces for God, they don't want to be honest when it comes to the priests committing crimes. Parents will leave their young children with priests and when something happens, are more apt to believe the priest over their own children. And then there are the churches which purposely hide these crimes from the proper authorities because as much as people talk about the blue wall of silence for police, it's even moreso the case with clergy, where one will not turn on another no matter what they've done. And you get entire congregations who, even when it's proven that their pastor has committed some heinous crime, they will stand behind him because again, he's the mouthpiece of God, he can't ever do anything wrong.


    Everything you said here also applies to teachers and coaches.
    The only reason to be anti-libertarian is there are people you want to control that you wouldn't be able to.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    11-08-19 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,034

    Re: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post


    Everything you said here also applies to teachers and coaches.
    True, but teachers and coaches don't have a supposed pipeline to the divine. Priests are assumed to have that a lot of the time.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me!

  7. #17
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,581

    Re: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    True, but teachers and coaches don't have a supposed pipeline to the divine. Priests are assumed to have that a lot of the time.
    So what? It doesn't change anything about the fact that everything you say about clergy and children also applies to teachers/coaches and children. (Or scoutmaster, or any other type of shepherd). The religious aspect of clergy is irrelevant when it comes to that.
    The only reason to be anti-libertarian is there are people you want to control that you wouldn't be able to.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    11-08-19 @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,034

    Re: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    So what? It doesn't change anything about the fact that everything you say about clergy and children also applies to teachers/coaches and children. (Or scoutmaster, or any other type of shepherd). The religious aspect of clergy is irrelevant when it comes to that.
    Because people, especially parents, don't have a problem going after teachers and coaches, people don't idolize teachers and coaches. Heck, Jerry Sandusky was a hero and he went down the second it became known what he'd done. Priests have that built-in level of protection because people are afraid that some imaginary man in the sky might strike then down for speaking ill of one of his mouthpieces. It's one of the reasons that the Catholic Church has paid out billions of dollars to victims over the years, after the church has known that the priest is guilty and just keeps shuffling them around. They know it's really hard to get the victims to come forward for decades and decades after the abuse occurs. You only have to read up on this to see case after case of congregations standing behind their pastor, even after they've been convicted of the crime.

    You're just wrong.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me!

  9. #19
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    37,581

    Re: Former Priest Convicted of 1960 Murder of Woman Killed After Going to Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Because people, especially parents, don't have a problem going after teachers and coaches, people don't idolize teachers and coaches. Heck, Jerry Sandusky was a hero and he went down the second it became known what he'd done. Priests have that built-in level of protection because people are afraid that some imaginary man in the sky might strike then down for speaking ill of one of his mouthpieces.
    That's utter nonsense. If clergy get the benefit of the doubt, it's for the same reason any other leader in a community does.

    It's one of the reasons that the Catholic Church has paid out billions of dollars to victims over the years, after the church has known that the priest is guilty and just keeps shuffling them around. They know it's really hard to get the victims to come forward for decades and decades after the abuse occurs.
    That's true of many, many victims of sexual assault, especially childhood sexual assault, no matter who the perpetrator is. (Ask Roy Moore.)

    You only have to read up on this to see case after case of congregations standing behind their pastor, even after they've been convicted of the crime.

    You're just wrong.
    No, you're trying to blame religion exclusively for things that humans just plain do regardless, including standing behind known criminals.

    There is not one thing that would be different in human behavior if there were no religion. Religion is the bogeyman you need to place irrational blame for things which are simply human nature.
    The only reason to be anti-libertarian is there are people you want to control that you wouldn't be able to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •