Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 372

Thread: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

  1. #311
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,510

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Quote Originally Posted by <alt>doxygen View Post
    Exactly. And if science shakes your faith, I'd say it's time to address the issues with your faith. Science is not your problem. (Statement not pointed at you, Lursa)

    On a side note : I've always wondered why/how some people seem to acquire and hold faith. I wonder if there's a physiological or genetic predisposition for it? I wonder/ask this because I've always been too skeptical to manage it. I absolutely never bought into Santa Clause, the tooth fairy...anything like that.
    Magic for Atheist God.jpg
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  2. #312
    Sage
    zyzygy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Flanders.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,530

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Ever heard of vacuum fluctuations?
    "Nothing helps scenery like bacon and eggs."-Mark Twain.

  3. #313
    Sage


    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,487

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Quote Originally Posted by zyzygy View Post
    Ever heard of vacuum fluctuations?
    Logicman, of course, posted a straw man. I don't know any atheist that said the universe came from 'nothing'. Nor have I heard any astrophysicist or cosmologist say that either. But why let truth get in the way of a good story??
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

  4. #314
    Sage
    zyzygy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Flanders.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,530

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Facts are anathema to Logicman.


    "So it’s not that there was nothing and then suddenly there was something, but that the Universe was in a state that was governed purely by quantum mechanics. Inflation then amplified quantum fluctuations in our proto-Universe onto large scales that then became our Universe as we know it.

    Because of quantum mechanics, there is no such thing as nothing." No such thing as nothing | Jon Kaufman
    "Nothing helps scenery like bacon and eggs."-Mark Twain.

  5. #315
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,362

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    Logicman, of course, posted a straw man. I don't know any atheist that said the universe came from 'nothing'. Nor have I heard any astrophysicist or cosmologist say that either. But why let truth get in the way of a good story??


    Maybe you have not heard Dawkins?






    Or, Krauss?

    Last edited by tosca1; 11-14-17 at 12:44 PM.

  6. #316
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,362

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Quote Originally Posted by zyzygy View Post
    Facts are anathema to Logicman.


    "So it’s not that there was nothing and then suddenly there was something, but that the Universe was in a state that was governed purely by quantum mechanics. Inflation then amplified quantum fluctuations in our proto-Universe onto large scales that then became our Universe as we know it.

    Because of quantum mechanics, there is no such thing as nothing." No such thing as nothing | Jon Kaufman
    It's all hypothesis!

    Boy - they don't even know how the planets are formed, and here they are theorizing how the universe
    came from nothing!

    Here's your vacuum fluctuation!

    The 'vacuum genesis' hypothesis theorizes that the entire universe began as a big fluctuation in the 'nothing' that came before it. While it hasn't been proven, it sure is an interesting idea to think about: that in the end, all we—you, me, the whole universe—add up to is a big bunch of nothing.
    What Is 'Nothing', Really? Possibly Everything



    What's a hypothesis? SUPPOSITION! It's a "what if."
    Last edited by tosca1; 11-14-17 at 12:57 PM.

  7. #317
    Sage


    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,487

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Quote Originally Posted by zyzygy View Post
    Facts are anathema to Logicman.


    "So it’s not that there was nothing and then suddenly there was something, but that the Universe was in a state that was governed purely by quantum mechanics. Inflation then amplified quantum fluctuations in our proto-Universe onto large scales that then became our Universe as we know it.

    Because of quantum mechanics, there is no such thing as nothing." No such thing as nothing | Jon Kaufman
    What is known as 'nothing' to the theologian is not what 'nothing' is to the cosmologist, precisely for that reason. People who invoke that are doing the logical fallacy of equivocation, which is either ignorant, or dishonest.
    No one needs a war more than a Politician who is low in the Polls.

  8. #318
    Sage
    zyzygy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Flanders.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,530

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    What is known as 'nothing' to the theologian is not what 'nothing' is to the cosmologist, precisely for that reason. People who invoke that are doing the logical fallacy of equivocation, which is either ignorant, or dishonest.
    When it comes to backing up a belief with evidence theologians are the ones with nothing.
    "Nothing helps scenery like bacon and eggs."-Mark Twain.

  9. #319
    Guru
    <alt>doxygen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Floriduh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    3,443

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    I'll continue that silly thought progression:

    1) It can't come from nothing, so GOD!

    2) Where did GOD come from?

    3) Well, we aren't allowed to know, so we assume GOD always WAS!

    -> Insert face in last picture.

    God is not a better answer. It just begs the same question. Sorry, but that's weak.
    Trump doesn’t speak so much as allow the words in his limited vocabulary to join hands and jump off a cliff. - Henry Rollins

  10. #320
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,510

    Re: Is Richard Dawkins an Associate of The National Academy of Sciences?

    Quote Originally Posted by <alt>doxygen View Post
    I'll continue that silly thought progression:

    1) It can't come from nothing, so GOD!

    2) Where did GOD come from?

    3) Well, we aren't allowed to know, so we assume GOD always WAS!

    -> Insert face in last picture.

    God is not a better answer. It just begs the same question. Sorry, but that's weak.
    Nope. But at least you understand now that you believe in magic.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •