• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.
Liu says he was one of scores of prisoners forced to play online games to build up credits that prison guards would then trade for real money. The 54-year-old, a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown, reckons the operation was even more lucrative than the physical labour that prisoners were also forced to do.
"Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labour," Liu told the Guardian. "There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb [£470-570] a day. We didn't see any of the money. The computers were never turned off."
m.guardian.co.uk

Remember kiddies, that gold you're buying online came from slave labor, but what do gold buyers care?

My cars number plates came from 'slave labour', should I not register my car? Do you think people in prison should just sit and relax for the duration of their sentence?

(Yes, I know lots of people are locked up unjustly in China, but there's still gonna be rapists and such locked up too, and I can't really feel sorry for them)

Forced to play wow in prison. I would consider that cruel and unusual punishment.

My cars number plates came from 'slave labour', should I not register my car? Do you think people in prison should just sit and relax for the duration of their sentence?

(Yes, I know lots of people are locked up unjustly in China, but there's still gonna be rapists and such locked up too, and I can't really feel sorry for them)

I understand the prisoners are paid Federal minimum wage and that means they are not slaves.

Back
Top Bottom