• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tough Start for Ohio's New Governor

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Yesterday it was the Governor of Michigan Rick Snyder who saw his popularity plunge in a poll hitting lows that took his predecessor over seven years to achieve. Today, it is the Governor to the south Of Michingan - John Kasich of Ohio.

Poll: Tough start for Ohio’s new governor – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

According to a Quinnipiac University survey released Wednesday, 46 percent of registered voters in Ohio disapprove of the job the new Republican governor's doing, with three in ten approving of how Kasich's handling his duties and nearly a quarter unsure. The survey indicates that by a 53 to 36 percent margin, Ohioans say the governor's budget is unfair. The budget aims to close the state's projected $8 billion deficit by cutting spending but not raising taxes.

Kasich has been in the national spotlight the past two months for joining with another freshman Republican governor, Scott Walker of Wisconsin, in moving to try and strip some collective bargaining rights from public service union members in an effort to try and balance the budget. About half of those questioned in the survey say they oppose the bill, which is currently working its way through the Ohio legislature.

Just like in Wisconsin, both Snyder and Kasich have come under fire for attacking labor unions, worker rights and a budget titled in favor of helping corporations while making cuts on average citizens.

The sleeping giant is awakening.

Citizens are going to have to face the facts that Unions are a large part of what is wrong with State Budgets from Coast to Coast and Governors have few choices to try get the spending under control.

You can cut services to everyone and or raise taxes for everyone or reduce the ridiculous cost most Governors face through no fault of their own.

California's day without sunshine is coming and it won't be pretty.

Sadly the public tends to fall for the BS put into media by unions that they are needed or the world will collapse.

Truth is and I have said it over and over, wage and hour laws along with OSHA keeps most people from becoming slaves.

I do agree that minimum wages need to be improved but other than that Unions are in it to make money and pay bribes to politicians with by spending the money members pay in dues and they never ask the members who to bribe next.

Ohio is my home state and it's a mess. Hopefully Kasich can fix it. It looks like he is into privatizing things like the prisons and the state liquor stores. I wish him the best.
I'm not worried about his or Walker's poll numbers. I think they'll go back up when people realize they are doing what's best for the tax payers.

As a former Michigander, I absolutely hope that Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio do everything possible to become like the third world when it comes to education. I am a Texan now, and we need somebody below us. :mrgreen:

As a former Michigander, I absolutely hope that Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio do everything possible to become like the third world when it comes to education. I am a Texan now, and we need somebody below us. :mrgreen:

White Students already outperform White students in those three states.

Black students already outperform black students in those three states.

And hispanic students already outperform hispanic students in those three states.

the only way to pretend Texas is not outperforming those three states is to stick your head in the sand.

He's making difficult choices and is being demonized for it. No surprise. If he accomplishes what he set out to do, the numbers will reflect that.

Good luck with that. ;)

That's why Texan's like Mississippi and Alabama so much.

Yesterday it was the Governor of Michigan Rick Snyder who saw his popularity plunge in a poll hitting lows that took his predecessor over seven years to achieve. Today, it is the Governor to the south Of Michingan - John Kasich of Ohio.

Poll: Tough start for Ohio’s new governor – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Just like in Wisconsin, both Snyder and Kasich have come under fire for attacking labor unions, worker rights and a budget titled in favor of helping corporations while making cuts on average citizens.

You bet it is, let's see their asses get kicked out of office.

The survey indicates that by a 53 to 36 percent margin, Ohioans say the governor's budget is unfair.

Everybody wanna go to heaven
nobody wanna die!

(Screwface-Marked for Death)

Uhh the Sleeping giant awoke in 2010.......and delivered the largest political ass whooping in history.....in the only poll that matters.

UnitedRedStates.jpg

God Bless John Kaisch, Rick Snyder, and Scott Walker--Greatest Governors of all-time.

Uhh the Sleeping giant awoke in 2010.......and delivered the largest political ass whooping in history.....in the only poll that matters.

UnitedRedStates.jpg

God Bless John Kaisch, Rick Snyder, and Scott Walker--Greatest Governors of all-time.

Here we go with that map BS again. The map, of course includes a lot of areas where very few people live, in respect for other areas. For example, New York City has more population than the entire state of Montana. So what we need is an honest map, adjusted for population, to replace the dishonest map. And here is the honest map, known as a cartogram, which adjusts the map on the basis of population:

countycartredblue512.png

This map is for 2008. So is this map from 2008, which is NOT adjusted for population:

countymapredbluer512.png

Using your logic, and the exact same kind of map you like to produce to make your point, Obama got totally slaughtered that year, and the Democratic party was put out of business. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Here we go with that map BS again. The map, of course includes a lot of areas where very few people live, in respect for other areas. For example, New York City has more population than the entire state of Montana. So what we need is an honest map, adjusted for population, to replace the dishonest map. And here is the honest map, known as a cartogram, which adjusts the map on the basis of population:

countycartredblue512.png

This map is for 2008. So is this map from 2008, which is NOT adjusted for population:

countymapredbluer512.png

Using your logic, and the exact same kind of map you like to produce to make your point, Obama got totally slaughtered that year, and the Democratic party was put out of business. :mrgreen:

That was 2010--The Largest Political Ass Whooping in History.......

Republicans took Control of the House with 63 House Seats, 6 Senate seats, 10 Governorships, 680+ State legislative seats, and control of 19 more State legislatures..

....put that in your tropy case.

Citizens are going to have to face the facts that Unions are a large part of what is wrong with State Budgets from Coast to Coast and Governors have few choices to try get the spending under control.

You can cut services to everyone and or raise taxes for everyone or reduce the ridiculous cost most Governors face through no fault of their own.

California's day without sunshine is coming and it won't be pretty.

Sadly the public tends to fall for the BS put into media by unions that they are needed or the world will collapse.

Truth is and I have said it over and over, wage and hour laws along with OSHA keeps most people from becoming slaves.

I do agree that minimum wages need to be improved but other than that Unions are in it to make money and pay bribes to politicians with by spending the money members pay in dues and they never ask the members who to bribe next.
wage and hour laws are only good if enforced, and can be changed on a whim...unions serve as a watchdog for these laws, to lobby for improvements in the laws, and to lobby against changes that would be detrimental to the worker.....OSHA is only interested in minimal safety guidelines, they don't strive to improve workplace safety, they enforce minimum standards. unions lobby on behalf of the working person, to push for better health and safety workplace rules, and better working conditions in general.

wage and hour laws are only good if enforced, and can be changed on a whim...unions serve as a watchdog for these laws, to lobby for improvements in the laws, and to lobby against changes that would be detrimental to the worker.....OSHA is only interested in minimal safety guidelines, they don't strive to improve workplace safety, they enforce minimum standards. unions lobby on behalf of the working person, to push for better health and safety workplace rules, and better working conditions in general.

If there's one place where public sector unions shine, it would be in the areas of job safety, rules and regulations. (Not rules/regs that protect their jobs, but rules/regs that protect them. There is adequate case law and protective legislation to protect against discrimination and persecution in the workplace. Courts have held that even an employee handbook can be viewed as a contract and code of conduct.

I have no problem with public sector unions in that regard. I do have a problem with their being able to negotiate wages and benefits -- at least under the current corrupt system. I think Walker's got it more right than we know. Bargain to the CPI...anything over that goes to the voters.

It is a bit more than interesting to see the shift that has taken place in many places just in the few months since November. Yes, the GOP did very well and should be proud of their results. But yes, the poll numbers now demonstrate that a good chunk of Independent voters have developed a case of buyers remorse and people like Walker, Kasich and Snyder might not even get elected today and are facing recalls.

We are living in a time where the pendulum of change is swinging both faster and farther than it has done for a very long time.

It is a bit more than interesting to see the shift that has taken place in many places just in the few months since November. Yes, the GOP did very well and should be proud of their results. But yes, the poll numbers now demonstrate that a good chunk of Independent voters have developed a case of buyers remorse and people like Walker, Kasich and Snyder might not even get elected today and are facing recalls.

We are living in a time where the pendulum of change is swinging both faster and farther than it has done for a very long time.

Finally! A Haymarket post dealing with this subject I can Thank! Ha! I'm Thanking 'cause it's one of your softer stances on this subject. ;)

I think what's happened in Wisconsin has had an overall positive effect on state budgets/public union considerations. I just heard that Ohio's vote is going to be delayed while they hammer out some compromise. That's a good thing. I've also read that other states are finding unions in a much more compromising mood since all of this began.

Whether the recalls will happen remains to be seen. Whether Wisconsin's law will stay as it is, cause Dems to flee again, or cause Reps to compromise remains to be seen. But change is definitely in the wind. And that's a good thing.

White Students already outperform White students in those three states.

Black students already outperform black students in those three states.

And hispanic students already outperform hispanic students in those three states.

the only way to pretend Texas is not outperforming those three states is to stick your head in the sand.

Yea Texas is also out preforming them in deficits!

As an Ohioan -- and someone who was not at all a fan of Strickland or Taft -- I'm disappointed in Kasich so far. His overreach on bargaining in a state with a lot of union support is building opposition to his cost-cutting measures. The state faces an $8 billion shortfall that has to be closed. He's taken tax hikes off the table. His proposed cuts are deep and will partially transfer the budget burden to local governments (LGF funds are being cut substantially, and most municipalities are already on tight budgets or are in the red). In a lot of ways, his budget proposals make sense. But he's gutting enough social services -- and goring enough oxes -- to flip his poll numbers on their head. Even his more conservative constituency is flinching a bit at the budget plan. It's going to hurt.

Senate Bill 5, in my eyes, is a big mistake. The state certainly needs public unions to make considerable concessions to keep the budget in order, but there's every indication he could have gotten those concessions without going after bargaining rights. In fact, local unions have been taking concessions all across the state since this recession began. Instead, he went for the throat and spent too much political capital.

It's not over for him yet, but with the Democrats essentially neutered in the short term, Kasich isn't being forced to compromise at the state level. Meanwhile, pressure for a state referendum on bargaining rights is building, and polls indicate Kasich will lose that fight.

I also oppose his plan to privatize prisons and the Ohio Turnpike. Prisons, especially, do not belong in the private sector. The perverse incentives it creates are troubling (consider the recent controversy in Pennsylvania over private prisons). At the very least, we need to extend all sunshine laws to any private company tasked with administering jsutice.

To Kasich's credit, he's indicated he's serious about balancing the budget, and that's something Ohio desperately needs. He's also serious about attracting employers, which is also vital, and I recognize that SB5 is meant to serve that goal. But he's going to learn that compromise is the heart of representative democracy, and if he doesn't soften some of his stances, he could very well lose big despite his current position of strength.

That was 2010--The Largest Political Ass Whooping in History.......

Republicans took Control of the House with 63 House Seats, 6 Senate seats, 10 Governorships, 680+ State legislative seats, and control of 19 more State legislatures..

....put that in your tropy case.

That they did, but it does not make your map any less dishonest.

I have no problem with public sector unions in that regard. I do have a problem with their being able to negotiate wages and benefits -- at least under the current corrupt system. I think Walker's got it more right than we know. Bargain to the CPI...anything over that goes to the voters.

I'm against setting salary by referendum. That goes completely against the notion of pay on merit. Also, it won't solve the public/private wage divide. The private sector hasn't been keeping up with cost of living for decades now. That's a big reason why the public sector is so out of whack, because the private sector has seen the value of labor fall immensely.

At this time, I would be very cautious about assuming that today's polling numbers point to the outcome of the next gubernatorial election cycle, much less assure such an outcome. Wisconsin might be an exception, but only if a recall effort is successful prior to the next gubernatorial election. In short, between now and the next election much can change. If the states find themselves on more solid fiscal ground and their economies are growing appreciably (and creating jobs), the governors who are currently quite unpopular could be re-elected. The narrative that they would offer, one of providing strong leadership by making tough and deeply unpopular decisions from which their states had begun to benefit, could actually resonate with voters.

There is past precedent for such cases. For example, the 1982-83 period for President Reagan saw his approval rating fall to just 35% by early 1983. Yet, by November 1984, buoyed by a briskly growing economy, he scored an historic landslide victory.

At this time, I would be very cautious about assuming that today's polling numbers point to the outcome of the next gubernatorial election cycle, much less assure such an outcome. Wisconsin might be an exception, but only if a recall effort is successful prior to the next gubernatorial election. In short, between now and the next election much can change. If the states find themselves on more solid fiscal ground and their economies are growing appreciably (and creating jobs), the governors who are currently quite unpopular could be re-elected. The narrative that they would offer, one of providing strong leadership by making tough and deeply unpopular decisions from which their states had begun to benefit, could actually resonate with voters.

There is past precedent for such cases. For example, the 1982-83 period for President Reagan saw his approval rating fall to just 35% by early 1983. Yet, by November 1984, buoyed by a briskly growing economy, he scored an historic landslide victory.

Anything can happen before the next election. In fact, I'm not sure I can be surprised by Ohio's choices anymore. This is a state that turned down every gambling proposal that came its way for years and years, then voted to give a handful of people a constitutional monopoly on gambling. Voters here seem to have short memories and an unsophisticated understanding of some of these issues.

I'm against setting salary by referendum. That goes completely against the notion of pay on merit. Also, it won't solve the public/private wage divide. The private sector hasn't been keeping up with cost of living for decades now. That's a big reason why the public sector is so out of whack, because the private sector has seen the value of labor fall immensely.

Public unions (indeed private ones) oppose merit pay increases and fight them at every turn. If you are against setting salary by referendum, then you are against unions bargaining for across-the-board pay increases.

Back
Top Bottom