• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama's March Madness picks decidedly conservative

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The president unveiled on Wednesday his March Madness bracket to ESPN basketball analyst Andy Katz at the White House, showing off a detailed knowledge of coaches, star players and team strategy.

Obama's March Madness picks decidedly conservative - latimes.com

With America at war, Japan taking a beating from the 5th largest quake recorded, nuke facilities in trouble, Libya bombing the crap out of its citizens, 13,000,000,000,000 in debt, Carter-like unemployment... we have Obama, the man who claims to have superior judgment having his Disney Day.

I thought the photo of Obama with the tournament draw was a photo-montage, but instead it should be today's #1 post at fail.org... as thee summation of Obama's failure to lead.

zimmer-albums-conservitoons-picture67113712-barack-obama-ncaa-bracket.jpg

Last edited:
With America at war, Japan taking a beating from the 5th largest quake recorded, nuke facilities in trouble, Libya bombing the crap out of its citizens, 13,000,000,000,000 in debt, Carter-like unemployment... we have Obama, the man who claims to have superior judgment having his Disney Day.

I thought the photo of Obama with the tournament draw was a photo-montage, but instead it should be today's #1 post at fail.org... as thee summation of Obama's failure to lead.

Let me see how he picks his next few judges. :mrgreen:

Didn't he pick all four #1 seeds last year too?

You should obviously postpone the basketball season until every world crisis is averted, and he has sufficient time to properly perform this annual presidential task.

I know Glenn Beck fans have a hard on for Nippon but how exactly are the Japanese and Lybians our problems again? Oh wait, they're not...

I know Glenn Beck fans have a hard on for Nippon but how exactly are the Japanese and Lybians our problems again? Oh wait, they're not...

They are a major issue though. They may not be "our problem" but they are still major events that the president has been silent on. Japan is an ally, and they have been hit with a devastating earthquake, Obama has been basically silent on it. In Libya you have protestors taking a stance against an evil dictator and begging for democracy, yet Obama is to weak to take a hard stance against qaddafi and support the protesters.

They are a major issue though.

Good. Obama said he felt bad about it and we'd send help. What else do you want?

They may not be "our problem" but they are still major events that the president has been silent on.

Do you need him to speak on every single event that happens around the world? He's not Glenn Beck.

Japan is an ally, and they have been hit with a devastating earthquake, Obama has been basically silent on it.

Only he hasn't. He just hasn't held a press conference about how his faith is going to save those heathen Japs.

In Libya you have protestors taking a stance against an evil dictator and begging for democracy, yet Obama is to weak to take a hard stance against qaddafi and support the protesters.

Meh, seems like a prudent stance. Talking out of the side of his mouth while not knowing where the situation is going to go would be a diplomatic nightmare if the rebels fail, which looking at how it's going so far, looks like it will. Let France and the Arab countries deal with it. At the end of the day, we're never going to get thanks from Lybians either way.

Good. Obama said he felt bad about it and we'd send help. What else do you want?

Do you need him to speak on every single event that happens around the world? He's not Glenn Beck.
These are major world events and many are criticizing him for taking such weak stances on things. To be honest I feel he is handling the crisis in Japan ok, but he is incredibly weak when it comes to Libya and the Egyptian protests.

Only he hasn't. He just hasn't held a press conference about how his faith is going to save those heathen Japs.
What?
Meh, seems like a prudent stance. Talking out of the side of his mouth while not knowing where the situation is going to go would be a diplomatic nightmare if the rebels fail, which looking at how it's going so far, looks like it will. Let France and the Arab countries deal with it. At the end of the day, we're never going to get thanks from Lybians either way.

Even if the rebels fail the US should stand up against qaddafi and do what we can (within reason) to help the rebels succeed. It's truly a sad thing when even France has the testicles to stand up against qaddafi while America distances itself from the conflict.

Are you implying I am a Glenn Beck listener?

When a country goes through a 9.0 and Tsunami that rocks many coastal cities, their nuke facilities, is the #2 economy in the world and an ally you'd think our leader would be engaged. OH... sorry, sorry.. he is. The NCAA's are on.

What was it that kept him from leading on the Gulf Oil Spill? Why does it take 31-days for him to act on Libya? Hell, even the French beat us to calling out the tyrant. Where's Obama? Concerned about our spending? Our budget? Oh... he's not? Must be helping wifey with the diet stuff.

Perhaps he should get Bill to take the Podium again because he's really, really busy with really important stuff, like March Madness and his Chinese hook.

Last edited:
He obviously needs acting lessons so that he can 'seem' like he's doing things he likely has little power over or realistically is likely quite detached from bureaucratically. This is the fifth thread about this. Stop bitching.

He obviously needs acting lessons so that he can 'seem' like he's doing things he likely has little power over or realistically is likely quite detached from bureaucratically. This is the fifth thread about this. Stop bitching.

Are you the official score keeper? Good t'know mate. Only the 5th? I would have expected more. Have to start a few more.

And I think you should stop bitching about other people bitching, unless you're also the Official Stop Bitching Officer of DP, for this forum would die without it. :peace dude.

Last edited:
Every President has done a March Madness bracket, but its just a publicity thing.

While the world is burning?

You know I think a better question to ask would be "is the world burning?" People often criticize partisans for always talking about how the world is ending, but its normally just a figure of speech so I'm surprised to see it literally for once. But in answer to you're question its done every year, and its done by a staffer who picks the teams in such a way to make the President look cool, a little confident, and someone gives him a few lines to say about what he "likes about a certain team" and how he's "taking a risk with this one" then people take photos and its done and done.

But in answer to you're question its done every year, and its done by a staffer who picks the teams in such a way to make the President look cool, a little confident, and someone gives him a few lines to say about what he "likes about a certain team" and how he's "taking a risk with this one" then people take photos and its done and done.
Really? Nothing shows on Google when you search Bush and March Madness... not hoops anyways.

I've never seen a President do it before, perhaps you can post some links.

A most disturbing line in your post is "(it is done) in such a way to make the President look cool, a little confident". Make him look cool... a little confident!? What a pathetic society we live in if that's the reasoning for him to do this; pathetic that they think we are so shallow... he could fool many people once (2008), but not twice.

In times with less turmoil I'd say fine... but not when we have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, Japan is roiled by the 5th largest quake on record and 50 foot wave crashed their shores, Libyan folks are paying a heavy price, the ME in general is a powder keg, the economy here is awful, and we have a serious problem with debt, a little seriousness is needed from a man that is in over his head, has done and is doing a poor job of managing what he has on his plate. He would have made a bigger statement by passing on the trivialities of a college B-ball tournament.

Bush 43 stopped playing golf, didn't entertain much, didn't throw parties, so it just doesn't fit that he would make picks for something as trivial as March Madness.

I couldn't see Carter, Reagan or Bush 41 doing this. Clinton, the only reason he'd watch b-ball was to check out and rate the cheerleaders.

Last edited:
In Libya you have protestors taking a stance against an evil dictator and begging for democracy, yet Obama is to weak to take a hard stance against qaddafi and support the protesters.

The people who celebrated the release of the Lockerbie bomber are our friends and yes we should be supporting them.

Really? Nothing shows on Google when you search Bush and March Madness... not hoops anyways.

I've never seen a President do it before, perhaps you can post some links.

A most disturbing line in your post is "(it is done) in such a way to make the President look cool, a little confident". Make him look cool... a little confident!? What a pathetic society we live in if that's the reasoning for him to do this; pathetic that they think we are so shallow... he could fool many people once (2008), but not twice.

In times with less turmoil I'd say fine... but not when we have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, Japan is roiled by the 5th largest quake on record and 50 foot wave crashed their shores, Libyan folks are paying a heavy price, the ME in general is a powder keg, the economy here is awful, and we have a serious problem with debt, a little seriousness is needed from a man that is in over his head, has done and is doing a poor job of managing what he has on his plate. He would have made a bigger statement by passing on the trivialities of a college B-ball tournament.

Bush 43 stopped playing golf, didn't entertain much, didn't throw parties, so it just doesn't fit that he would make picks for something as trivial as March Madness.

I couldn't see Carter, Reagan or Bush 41 doing this. Clinton, the only reason he'd watch b-ball was to check out and rate the cheerleaders.

Bush choked on a pretzel in 2002, only 4 months after 9/11 while we had troops in Afghanistan. Now you may say "But it wasn't March Madness and he was only watching a game!" But what are you really complaining about? Its not that Obama is doing a bracket or that he's watching sports, its that he's doing it in a time of crisis, the actual sporting event is irrelevant correct? I mean this could be the women's national hockey league for all it matters correct?
BBC News | AMERICAS | Bush makes light of pretzel scare
Also not while we have troops in Afghanistan or Iraq, would you really expect Bush to have gone 8 years as President without taking time to do something a little more light hearted and fun? Or for Obama to go for the last 2? Bush threw the first pitch at the start of the MLB season at least a few times in his Presidency, time not going over the latest updates from the wars.

Heck wasn't it also you who blasted Obama for not going to a national boy scout meeting? Tell me why is it ok for him to go to that, make speeches about the value of boy scouting etc, while there's troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, but its not ok to go on ESPN talk a little basketball while also calling for donations for Japan? I'm not trying to say everything about a march madness bracket is also valueable and constructive, obviously is thats not the case, but its just as stupid to think a President should be on the job at all times when awake.

But let me ask you what you think he should be specifically doing instead?

Also you mentioned Reagan:
c17374-25A.jpg

All while the Soviet Union was invading and occupying Afghanistan!!!! Crisis!!!
All while Marines are being bombed and killed in Lebanon!!
All during the Iran-Iraq War!!
All while the leadership of the USSR was changing hands!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom