• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Julian Assange 'Jewish conspiracy' comments spark row

toomuchtime_

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Julian Assange 'Jewish conspiracy' comments spark rowIan Hislop writes in Private Eye that Assange accused him, the Guardian and Index on Censorship, before withdrawing claim

Share408 Ben Quinn guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 1 March 2011 22.22 GMT Article history
Julian Assange has alleged conspiracy by journalists. Photograph: Rex Features

Julian Assange has blamed a number of journalists for a "Jewish" conspiracy against his whistleblowing website, WikiLeaks, according to the editor of Private Eye, Ian Hislop.

In the latest issue of the satirical magazine, Hislop writes that Assange called him on 16 February to complain about an article on Israel Shamir, a WikiLeaks associate in Russia who has denied the Holocaust and has published a string of antisemitic articles.

"He said that I and Private Eye should be ashamed of ourselves for joining in the international conspiracy to smear WikiLeaks," Hislop writes. "The piece was an obvious attempt to deprive him and his organisation of Jewish support and donations, he said angrily, and he knew perfectly well who had written it. He then named a Fleet Street hack who had nothing to do with it."

Hislop adds that Assange went on to claim that Private Eye was "part of a conspiracy led by the Guardian which included journalist David Leigh, editor Alan Rusbridger and John Kampfner from Index on Censorship – all of whom 'are Jewish'".

"I pointed out that Rusbridger is not actually Jewish, but Assange insisted that he was 'sort of Jewish' because he was related to David Leigh (they are brothers-in-law)," writes Hislop.

Ironically, a little while ago some people were claiming Wikileaks was part of a Jewish conspiracy because the documents it was publishing were not especially damaging to Israel but were thought to be somewhat damaging to some Arab regimes.

It is a he-said she-said situation, and I couldn't personally vouch for the character of either man, but Hislop is a tabloid journalist who has lost numerous libel cases in court. I am not prepared to take someone legally determined to a be liar at his word and thus I will give Assange the benefit of the doubt until more solid evidence surfaces

Back
Top Bottom