• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

China proposes 'six-party talks' meeting amid Korean tensions

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
As both North Korea's largest trading partner and a country engaged in diplomatic talks with South Korea, China is dealing with both sides of an increasingly divided Korean peninsula.

China is proposing to convene an emergency consultation with members of the six-party talks amid growing tensions on the Korean peninsula, a Chinese official said Sunday.

"The Chinese side, after careful studies, proposes to have emergency consultations among the heads of delegation to the six-party talks in early December in Beijing to exchange views on major issues of concern to the parties at present," Wu Dawei, Chinese special representative for Korean peninsula affairs, told journalists.

"The six-party talks play an important role in strengthening communication among the parties, advancing denuclearization on the peninsula and safeguarding peace and stability on the peninsula and in northeast Asia," he said.

Call for talks a 'step of desperation'

High stakes diplomacy amid Korean tension

South Korean tension rises

Explainer: All eyes on North Korea
RELATED TOPICS
North Korea
South Korea
Diplomats, seeking a lessening of tensions and a return to the six-party talks with North Korea over the country's nuclear aspirations, have busily labored to avert more hostilities. The United States, China, Japan, Russia, South Korea and North Korea are the six countries that have been involved in the discussions, which were put on hold in 2008.

But China said the proposed emergency consultations do not mean a resumption of the six-party talks, China's state media reported.

The South Korean government will "bear in mind" China's proposal, according to a Foreign Ministry press release. But the government added that given the current situation, the proposal "needs to be carefully reviewed."

U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, said on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday that China is the key to resolving the conflict, but said the country is "not behaving as a responsible world power."

"They could bring the North Korean economy to its knees if they wanted to. And I cannot believe that the Chinese should, in a mature fashion, not find it in their interest to restrain North Korea. So far, they are not," McCain said.

McCain called the proposal for a six-party meeting a "fine first step," but said that North Korea's history of confrontation will not come to a stop without significant penalties.

Tensions on the Korean peninsula mounted last week when four South Koreans died after North Korea's shelling of Yeonpyeong Island during a South Korean military drill Tuesday.

North Korea said the South provoked the attack because shells from the South Korean drill landed in the North's waters.

"We express our condolences to the victims of the Yeonpyeong island incident and will make efforts for the sake of peace between North and South Korea so that the situation does not deteriorate," Chinese State Councilor Dai Bingguo said during a meeting with South Korean President Lee Myung-bak on Sunday.

The South Korean president asked that China "contribute to achieving peace on the Korean peninsula with a fairer and responsible position in regards to North and South Korean relations."

Lee added that "South Korea has endured endless provocations from the North since the Korean War, but if North Korea carries out an additional provocation, we will take strong countermeasures."

On Sunday, South Korea and the United States began joint military exercises on the Yellow Sea -- another point of contention in the region.

North Korea has warned of unpredictable "consequences" if the United States fulfilled its vow of deploying an aircraft carrier to the Yellow Sea for the military maneuvers.

"The DPRK [Democratic People's Republic of Korea] will deal a merciless military counter-attack at any provocative act of intruding into its territorial waters in the future," North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency said Sunday.

China appeared to have criticized the joint military exercises last week.

"We oppose any party to take any military acts in our exclusive economic zone without permission," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in a statement, according to China's state-run Xinhua news agency.

The China-North Korea relations take another step on Tuesday, when Choe Tae Bok, chairman of North Korea's Supreme People's Assembly, will pay an official visit to China, Xinhua reported. Choe was invited by Wu Bangguo, chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress of China, the agency said.
China proposes 'six-party talks' meeting amid Korean tensions - CNN.com

The Chinese ability to outsmart the Americans is truly breathtaking. It's hard not to respect and admire Han political and diplomatic adroitness.

The Chinese ability to outsmart the Americans is truly breathtaking. It's hard not to respect and admire Han political and diplomatic adroitness.
i missed it
how have the chinese outsmarted their American counterparts?

i missed it

What are the primary objectives of the Chinese and North Koreans? Whose interests will be served by a repetition of the Beijing Six Party Circus? What happened at the previous Six Party Talks? Why did the DPRK drop out of the Talks, but now wants to rejoin the Talks?

Bad Cop: I've just killed four South Koreans without provocation. What are you going to do about it?

Victim: I'll call my Uncle Sam for help. Oh Uncle Sammmmmmm.

Dumbee: I'll send an aircraft carrier to sail around the Yellow Sea in a futile exercise of testosterone.

Good Cop: Let's talk about this.

Victim: Why should we talk about this when my Uncle Sam will protect me.

Bad Cop: After Uncle Sam's aircraft carrier is gone I'm going to kill some more of your citizens and you can't stop me because my Uncle Mao won't let you.

Good Cop: Come to Beijiing for Six Party talks, kowtow to the China because there's a new sheriff in town, and pay tribute to Bad Cop. If you do that we won't let Bad Cop kill your citizens with impunity. Come to Beijing so we can talk like reasonable people.

Dumbee: That Kim Karasashian has a killer rump doesn't she?

i missed it

I must agree with Albert. We've seen this movie before.

- North Korea does something crazy.
- The US and South Korea issue token condemnations and insist that it must stop.
- The US makes some token statement urging China to "use its influence" with North Korea, knowing full well that they will not or cannot.
- China does the bare minimum to not lose face.
- The US points to China's underwhelming response as a huge success, and the issue goes away.
- A few months later, North Korea does something else crazy.

Back
Top Bottom