• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Assault on Federal Pay Puts Obama in Politically Difficult Position

Whovian

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
finally.

GOP Assault on Federal Pay Puts Obama in Politically Difficult Position - FoxNews.com

Obama may have to choose between satisfying his base or placating independents who moved overwhelming into the Republican camp in the midterm elections two weeks ago based in part on their frustration over the growth of government in the past two years.

Already a flurry of proposals have been offered to slash spending on government functionaries.

Speaker-in-waiting John Boehner has called for a freeze in hiring and pay raises. Incoming House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said his federal payroll plan could save taxpayers $35 billion.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, the top Republican on the subcommittee with oversight of the federal workforce who is likely to become the panel's next chairman, wants a 10 percent across-the-board pay cut.

Chaffetz told FoxNews.com on Tuesday that the federal payroll has grown by an additional 141,000 federal workers -- not counting Census employees, postal workers and uniformed members of the military -- since Obama took office. The president wants to hire 125,000 more workers.

Including compensation, the current cost of the federal workforce is $447 billion, he said.

Reactions: mpg
I would go much farther and order that all Government pay cannot exceed 2% more than a similar job in the private sector.

The women had it right EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK

I would also like to see all Unions banned because all they are is organized crime, Federal laws protect rights and if you work hard you get the pay you earn not what you coerce through threats and intimidation

I would go much farther and order that all Government pay cannot exceed 2% more than a similar job in the private sector.

I would also like to see all Unions banned because all they are is organized crime, Federal laws protect rights and if you work hard you get the pay you earn not what you coerce through threats and intimidation
I never worked a union job, but did work around them a bit. I have little use for them, but I also wonder if the govt and the courts will worry much about our "rights".
And if you think unions are organized crime, look closely at Wall Street....

I would also like to see all Unions banned because all they are is organized crime,

Yes we know. And welfare is slavery. Holy Hackjob Hackman.

Not all jobs are similar to private sector. This is particular true in the natural resouces (Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Servie, Fish and Wildlife Service), jobs such as fire management officer, forester, wildlife biologist, range conservationist, etc.). In the area of wildland fire, I would have loved to have what California Division of Forestry paid their FMO's, or even a private company like Rural Metro. Private industry in general are profit driven. The govt. is not.

What I would like to see is Congress apply the same cuts to their staff and budgets. Lead by example, I don't think they understand that concept.

Maybe you should work on developing a more moderate attiude on unions. It's not as though their employers are lacking in ruthlessness, self-interest, or political connections.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: mpg
Maybe you should work on developing a more moderate attiude on unions. It's not as though their employers are lacking in ruthlessness, self-interest, or political connections.
My dad was a union worker all his life, and liked it, until he became shop steward and saw some of the inside shenanigans that the average employee isn't aware of. But Management has their own "union", it is called the "old boys network". They have a different set of rules that favor them.

Yes we know. And welfare is slavery. Holy Hackjob Hackman.

Of form of yes. Until a person has to depend on themselves and not the backs of everyone else, they will stay a slave to govt social programs.

There is no freedom like the freedom to chose a job and how to become successful by hard work. You never seen anyone on welfare be thought of as an successful person. More like the leech of society.

Back
Top Bottom