• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Greece Agrees to €24 Billion Austerity Program: Report

donsutherland1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This evening, CNBC reported:

Greece will overhaul the state pension system as part of a package of austerity measures to clinch a three-year, multi-billion-euro aid deal, a Greek minister told the FT on Thursday.

Andreas Loverdos, social affairs minister told the Financial Times the measures included dropping the seasonal bonus for pensioners in a bid to slash Greece's bloated budget deficit.

News Headlines

To put things into perspective, the amount of budget savings called for in the Greek agreement would be equivalent to almost $800 billion in savings from the U.S. budget. Prospects for Greece's ability to implement the agreed budget savings still remain uncertain, given expected substantial labor union opposition.

This evening, CNBC reported:

News Headlines

To put things into perspective, the amount of budget savings called for in the Greek agreement would be equivalent to almost $800 billion in savings from the U.S. budget. Prospects for Greece's ability to implement the agreed budget savings still remain uncertain, given expected substantial labor union opposition.

From waht I heard today the US will be on the hook for a goodly amount. Our donation comes via the IMF.

From waht I heard today the US will be on the hook for a goodly amount. Our donation comes via the IMF.

I don't yet know whether IMF funds will come from existing contributions of members, including the U.S. or, at least in part, additional funds from members including the U.S. I believe those details will be provided once the rescue package is announced, probably on or before Monday.

India has recently purchased a large amount of IMF gold, I also believe China is investing in SDR's as a way to deversify out of USD

So I expect that Asians will be providing much of the IMF money used to lend to Greece

Remember this is a loan and the IMF does not tend to forgive much of its debt.

It and the Paris club tend to be profitable

Lord Tammerlain; Remember this is a loan and the IMF does not tend to forgive much of its debt. It and the Paris club tend to be profitable[/QUOTE said:
Which fact Mugabe has learned the hard way.

Yes, the IMF will be providing loans. The issue is whether additional funds will need to be procured from IMF members or not and, if so, whether those would be straight assessments or loans to the IMF.

Which fact Mugabe has learned the hard way.

There is no point in the IMF's or Paris Club's forgiving any of Zimbabwe's debt at this time. Given the record of the Harare dictatorship, any benefits of debt forgiveness would accrue solely to the regime, not Zimbabwe's suffering people. Few contemporary leaders have engineered the kind of ruin and hardship Mr. Mugabe has.

Back
Top Bottom