• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Large Hadron Collider Sets Record

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
GENEVA, March 30 (Reuters) - Physicists at the CERN research centre achieved high-power collisions of sub-atomic particles on Tuesday in their attempt to create mini-versions of the Big Bang that led to the birth of the universe 13.7 billion years ago.

The experiment at the European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN), creating a record for the energy of particle conditions, will allow researchers to examine the nature of matter and the origin of stars and planets.

"This is a major breakthrough. We are going where nobody has been before. We have opened a new territory for physics," Oliver Buchmueller, one of the key figures on the 10 billion Swiss franc ($9.4 billion) project, told Reuters.

The collisions took place at a record total collision energy of 7 billion billion electron volts (eV) and at a nano-fraction of a second slower than the speed of light in CERN's 27 km (16.8 mile) Large Hadron Collider (LHC), about a hundred metres (330 feet) below the Swiss-French border.

To those who claimed that the Earth would be destroyed when the collider is turned on, I have only one thing to say......

We are still here. :mrgreen:

Article is here.

To those who claimed that the Earth would be destroyed when the collider is turned on, I have only one thing to say......

Article is here.

Or all this is nothing more than a figment of your imagination and we've all been compressed to a singularity already. These are the hallucinations of a dying brain being stretched out and compressed! It's a conspiracy I tells you!

Don't worry the machine is just waiting until we are all relaxed and then it will strike!

Actually though this is a pretty cool story and while it sometimes goes over my head it is really interesting. It was pretty funny how some how this kid in one of my classes linked this to our discussion on immigration.

Or all this is nothing more than a figment of your imagination and we've all been compressed to a singularity already. These are the hallucinations of a dying brain being stretched out and compressed! It's a conspiracy I tells you!

Actually, there is even a weirder theory. One of the reasons that the LHC was built was to detect the Higgs boson, otherwise known as the God particle. This "theory" says that if the Higgs boson is found, then waves are sent back in time, which result in the LHC never being built at all, and thus the Higgs boson is actually never found.

Based on this theory, I have only one response to this entire thread.....

What Large Hadron Collider? :mrgreen:

While all of this -is- cool...

What's the carbon footrpint on this thing?
Be sure to include its construction.

Article is here.

You do realize it wasn't people saying that it would definitively destroy the world, but were simply pointing out that nobody knows if it could destroy the world.

Personally, with our level of technology, if you're working on something that will potentially blow up the world, Wouldn't it be alot more comforting to conduct the experiments somewhere a little 'safer' for the rest of us... like on the moon?

I'm not fully serious here, but I'm just saying that if the science carries that type of risk, but is that important to the future of our understanding of the universe... that it might be prudent to conduct the science in a way that, should the worst happen, that there would still be humans around to try keep sciencing beyond that failure?? Unless opening up some black hole / singularity that would consume the planet would be a 'success', is it really worth it if there's noone left to benefit from the experiments?

You do realize it wasn't people saying that it would definitively destroy the world, but were simply pointing out that nobody knows if it could destroy the world.

Personally, with our level of technology, if you're working on something that will potentially blow up the world, Wouldn't it be alot more comforting to conduct the experiments somewhere a little 'safer' for the rest of us... like on the moon?

I'm not fully serious here, but I'm just saying that if the science carries that type of risk, but is that important to the future of our understanding of the universe... that it might be prudent to conduct the science in a way that, should the worst happen, that there would still be humans around to try keep sciencing beyond that failure?? Unless opening up some black hole / singularity that would consume the planet would be a 'success', is it really worth it if there's noone left to benefit from the experiments?

There was absolutely no possibility of the Earth being destroyed. Even the most talked about method of destroying Earth, by generating a black hole that swallows it and us up, was based on BS. A black hole of the size that can be theoretically generated by the LHC would not last more than a couple of microseconds before evaporating. Those against the LHC were opposed to it only because they chose to be ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom