• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Charlie Wilson

kansaswhig

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Former Rep. Charles Wilson Dies at 76

DALLAS — Charlie Wilson, the former congressman from Texas whose funding of Afghanistan's resistance to the Soviet Union was chronicled in the movie and book "Charlie Wilson's War," died Wednesday. He was 76.

Wilson died at Memorial Medical Center-Lufkin after he started having difficulty breathing while attending a meeting in the eastern Texas town where he lived, said hospital spokeswoman Yana Ogletree. Wilson was pronounced dead on arrival, and the preliminary cause of death was cardiopulmonary arrest, she said.

Wilson represented the 2nd District in east Texas in the U.S. House from 1973 to 1996 and was known in Washington as "Good Time Charlie" for his reputation as a hard-drinking womanizer. He once called former congresswoman Pat Schroeder "Babycakes," and tried to take a beauty queen with him on a government trip to Afghanistan.

Actor Tom Hanks portrayed Wilson in the 2007 movie about Wilson's efforts to arm Afghan mujahedeen during Afghanistan's war against the Soviet Union in the 1980s. Wilson, a member of the House Appropriations Committee, helped secure money for weapons, plunging the U.S. into a risky venture against the world's other superpower.

Oh man, that' really a sad loss imo. Wilson was quite a character in a funny-good way.

I didn't know anything about him until the movie "Charlie Wilson's War". He was *quite* a character, it seems. If he was anything like the movie, I like him!

RIP Charlie Wilson, and thankyou for your sincere service to our nation.

He was from my area of Texas and one of the biggest characters you ever saw, more like LBJ than Tom Hanks (although the movie was pretty good). He was 6'6" and had one of those huge booming voices.

I had only seen him in a few restaurants and didn't know about his antics until the book Charlie Wilson's War came out.

Here's a few pictures the local paper ran... the first one with his wife:

29b2edf.jpg

33f8e1e.jpg

2njhxjr.jpg

Rest in peace, Charlie

Last edited:
A great American. Too bad they make'em like that anymore. Sleep well, Congressman.

Moderator's Warning:
Just because there were issues in the last one making this clear right off. This is a [RIP] thread and as such negative or insulting comments should be kept out of it. Just a reminder before the thread gets majorly rolling

Moderator's Warning:
Just because there were issues in the last one making this clear right off. This is a [RIP] thread and as such negative or insulting comments should be kept out of it. Just a reminder before the thread gets majorly rolling

I was honestly wishing Charlie well in the next life. He was a great American!

:)

NP Vader, wasn't directed at anyone as much as it was a preemptive thing.

And this is sad news. I echo the thoughts of those in this thread

NP Vader, wasn't directed at anyone as much as it was a preemptive thing.

And this is sad news. I echo the thoughts of those in this thread

Ooohrah, Zyph!

Would you mind lowering the DP flag to half-mast?

:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom