• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Haiti quake: Death toll may be 200,000, US general says

MyOwnDrum

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
BBC News - Haiti quake: Death toll may be 200,000, US general says

I think I will be sending more money soon. I had a feeling that 50,000 was an underestimation of deaths.

This approaches the death count of the Tsunami, in a nation of only 10,000,000 people. Truly a horrific calamity.

he leading US general in Haiti has said it is a "reasonable assumption" that up to 200,000 people may have died in last Tuesday's earthquake.

Lt Gen Ken Keen said the disaster was of "epic proportions", but it was "too early to know" the full human cost.

Rescuers pulled more people alive from the rubble at the weekend, but at least 70,000 people have already had burials.

So what takes nations so long to establish their field hospitals in the epicenter?

Realizing that (perhaps) the majority of those who are heavily wounded at present would not make it to the next week and are dying as I write this post, action should have been taken from the first moment, and field hospitals should have already been established all over the place.

Besides' Israel's field hospital, that is functioning since Saturday's morning, and the United States' field hospital, that is predicted to start functioning in Wednesday, what other nations are attempting to establish a field hospital?

So what takes nations so long to establish their field hospitals in the epicenter?

Realizing that (perhaps) the majority of those who are heavily wounded at present would not make it to the next week and are dying as I write this post, action should have been taken from the first moment, and field hospitals should have already been established all over the place.

Besides' Israel's field hospital, that is functioning since Saturday's morning, and the United States' field hospital, that is predicted to start functioning in Wednesday, what other nations are attempting to establish a field hospital?

Many other nations are sending help to Haiti, not just the US.

The problems with quickly establishing a hospital are many. Airports are down, roads are down, there is no way to get there easily. Displaced and desperate people are making the job more difficult, there is danger from looters and etc. Getting doctors there is one thing, but then there is the matter of medical supplies.

Did you happen to see 60 Minutes last night? Doctors were operating with whatever they had on hand, trying to save as many lives as possible.

Haiti was a hellhole before the earthquake. That is not helping either.

Two hundred thousand people out of a small nation. What a tragedy.

Canada's DART (Disaster Assistance Response Team) was on the ground in Port-au-Prince on Wed (two days after the quake) with water purification plants, a field hospital, helicopters, and communications/logistical support teams.

Hmmmm........2% of the population.....
And that's the amount of killed.
There are also the wounded, those who've lost everything they had and those who were displaced.

I'm afraid that the toll would only rise, as the injured are still massively dying at the streets.

Many other nations are sending help to Haiti, not just the US.

The problems with quickly establishing a hospital are many. Airports are down, roads are down, there is no way to get there easily. Displaced and desperate people are making the job more difficult, there is danger from looters and etc. Getting doctors there is one thing, but then there is the matter of medical supplies.

Did you happen to see 60 Minutes last night? Doctors were operating with whatever they had on hand, trying to save as many lives as possible.

Haiti was a hellhole before the earthquake. That is not helping either.

Two hundred thousand people out of a small nation. What a tragedy.

The United States military has air-deliverable assets that could have and should have been deployed on Day 1.

I just heard on FNC that the USAF is air dropping supplies into several different areas where relief is critical. They've acknowledged the risks involved with air-drops, but they're also recognized the result if they don't do it.

There are other countries like Switzerland I think that is setting one up.

Back
Top Bottom