• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Religion Genetic?

Is religion genetic (like the homosexuality argument)?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Its a valid argument (similar to the one about homosexuality)

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cilogy is a troll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Cilogy

Pathetic Douchebag
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Another crazy poll by yours truly ... Uncle Cilogy!

So here goes my usual disclaimer: I hope this hasn't already been created as another poll. If it is please lock the topic or destroy it or eat it or blah blah blah.

Okay now:

With the war on sexuality going on (on all fronts) would you apply the same argument of genetic quality of homosexuality to religion? :)shock: blasphemy!)

Seriously, I was having a similar discussion with a pastor/priest/reverend/whatever of a local church, a person whom I am very good friends with. He runs a church in Texas which is actually pro-homosexuality (gasp! blasphemy again!) So we got to talking about it and he ended up concluding that religion is essentially the choice of a person and homosexuality has not yet been determined as a choice or a genetic trait.

I would say that's a fair argument, since religion is concerned more with the spirituality and free will of a person rather than their attraction or sexuality.

(could be confusing)

What do you think?

yes and they need stem cell transplants:)

Cilogy. You need to start more threads. Usually original, always thought provoking.

Cilogy. You need to start more threads. Usually original, always thought provoking.

Are you serious? If you are thank you very much I try so damn hard. :rofl

So here goes my usual disclaimer: I hope this hasn't already been created as another poll. If it is please lock the topic or destroy it or eat it or blah blah blah.

Okay now:

With the war on sexuality going on (on all fronts) would you apply the same argument of genetic quality of homosexuality to religion? :)shock: blasphemy!)

Seriously, I was having a similar discussion with a pastor/priest/reverend/whatever of a local church, a person whom I am very good friends with. He runs a church in Texas which is actually pro-homosexuality (gasp! blasphemy again!) So we got to talking about it and he ended up concluding that religion is essentially the choice of a person and homosexuality has not yet been determined as a choice or a genetic trait.

I would say that's a fair argument, since religion is concerned more with the spirituality and free will of a person rather than their attraction or sexuality.

(could be confusing)

What do you think?

While upbringing / education / "free will" are certainly the primary factors in determining how religious a person is, I think it's certainly plausible that there could be a gene that predisposes a person toward being more skeptical or more credulous in matters of faith. Neurologists have pinpointed the regions of the brain that are particularly active during religious experiences; perhaps those regions are naturally more active in some people than others because of our genetics.

Are you serious? If you are thank you very much I try so damn hard. :rofl

Of course I am. No weird smilie. Why don't people think I'm serious when I give someone here a compliment?

No, just like the homo arguement, it is choice, plain & simple.....;)

Of course I am. No weird smilie. Why don't people think I'm serious when I give someone here a compliment?

Sorry I'm so used to sarcasm on these boards, and I'm scared to death of the mods.

While upbringing / education / "free will" are certainly the primary factors in determining how religious a person is, I think it's certainly plausible that there could be a gene that predisposes a person toward being more skeptical or more credulous in matters of faith. Neurologists have pinpointed the regions of the brain that are particularly active during religious experiences; perhaps those regions are naturally more active in some people than others because of our genetics.

In fact that's exactly what I was thinking, I always thought it was a matter of a person being skeptical or credulous from birth.

You took the words from my mouth.

Okay now:

(could be confusing)

What do you think?

Orientation has been shown to be determined very early, while I don't think "religious orientation" has been. While environment probably plays a role in both, I think it plays a much much larger role in determining religious beliefs.

By the way, homosexuality is not either choice or genetic, there are other options.

Orientation has been shown to be determined very early, while I don't think "religious orientation" has been. While environment probably plays a role in both, I think it plays a much much larger role in determining religious beliefs.

Yeah I agree. What I am surprised at is the fact that people aren't using this argument as a way to "combat" others in the religious debate.

By the way, homosexuality is not either choice or genetic, there are other options.

Like what?

Yeah I agree. What I am surprised at is the fact that people aren't using this argument as a way to "combat" others in the religious debate.

Like what?

God only knows!.....:lol:

Like what?

Ok, we know that studies have shown that gays have a different brain structure(similar to straits of the opposite sex). We know that prenatal care can effect things like this, so it's possible(if probably not real likely) that something like diet could effect(I hesitate to say determine, since I believe a number of factors are at play in determining orientation). Also, we know that orientation is determined early, but it is possible that this is after birth. We also know that orientation, once set, is probably not going to change. This leaves open a large number of possible factors such as presence and actions of parents and others, amount of affection received, and so on. If orientation is determined after birth, it does not mean that it is a choice, simply that the factors that set it are from after the birth.

No, just like the homo arguement, it is choice, plain & simple.....;)

Not in the least. Research has determined that sexual orientation, hetero- and homo- is determined by one or a combination of the following factors: genetic structure. biological/chemical, social impact. Religious orientation is a learned behavior. One may be predisposed towards a sect such as orthodox or reformed, based on one's personality, but the religion itself is a learned behavior. One may be attracted to a leaning, but the understanding of beliefs are something that one is taught.

Not in the least. Research has determined that sexual orientation, hetero- and homo- is determined by one or a combination of the following factors: genetic structure. biological/chemical, social impact. Religious orientation is a learned behavior. One may be predisposed towards a sect such as orthodox or reformed, based on one's personality, but the religion itself is a learned behavior. One may be attracted to a leaning, but the understanding of beliefs are something that one is taught.

Too harsh.....EDIT

Last edited:
Although religion is a learned trait, it is possible that there could be genetic factors that could influence ones receptiveness to religion. Perhaps a more "spiritually receptive" mind, or a mind that is more apt to generate more pleasure or reward from a religious experience.

Different mental reward wiring for different people is not out of the realm of possibility, some may be genetically predisposed to be receptive to physical rewards, some intellectual, some spiritual. I could see how all three of those different roles in humans could be genetically advantageous in their own right, and have all served a major role throughout human anthropological history.

Edit: and I m with CC great thought provoking non standard topic material here

Last edited:
Too harsh.....EDIT

I would say since I get automatic emails to subscribed threads, so I can see folk's edits, this was an excellent choice, Partisan. ;)

Okay now:

(could be confusing)

What do you think?

What war on sexuality?

Someone out there is forwarding a "genetic equality" argument? What does "genetic equality" even mean?

About the only thing I understand in your OP is the thread title, and to that my answer is "no".

I would love to be educated on these other "wars" and arguments, though. They're certanly nothing I've come across before :2wave:

Last edited:
A predisposition toward religious practice or assigning meaning to specific objects or events (in different areas of life) may be genetically coded, and exposure to specific ideology may provide a preference for one official religion over another, but asking if "religion is genetic" is too limiting imo.

What war on sexuality?

Someone out there is forwarding a "genetic equality" argument? What does "genetic equality" even mean?

About the only thing I understand in your OP is the thread title, and to that my answer is "no".

I would love to be educated on these other "wars" and arguments, though. They're certanly nothing I've come across before :2wave:

Reading things helps.

I said "quality" not "equality."

I was largely being sarcastic, you are free to vote "Cilogy is a troll" if you wish. In fact the title of the thread is the only thing that really matters, so you don't have to respond to my OP, just answer the question.

I think spiritual tendencies are inherent, but religion/doctrine is taught.

A person could be more "genetically predisposed" towards anything, really, but that doesn't usually mean what people think it to mean.

Back
Top Bottom