• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kerry blocks DeMint trip to Honduras

Oftencold

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kerry blocks DeMint trip to Honduras

By Jordan Fabian - 10/01/09 05:55 PM ET

Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, has blocked Sen. Jim DeMint’s (R-S.C.) trip to Honduras slated to begin Friday, according to DeMint's office.
. . .
On Thursday morning, the freshman Republican announced that he would lead a congressional delegation to Honduras on Friday ahead of the country’s Nov. 29 elections. The U.S. State Department, which acknowledges ousted President Manuel Zelaya as the legitimate ruler of the Central American nation, has said it will not recognize the contests because of ongoing political turmoil.

“No U.S. Senator has yet been to Honduras to assess facts of crisis. [Kerry] & Obama admin using bullying tactics to hide truth,” DeMint, who also sits on the Foreign Relations panel, said on Twitter after he heard the trip would not occur.

While I'm a big critic of Congressional "fact finding" trips to anything other than a library, the selective nature of this bar is quite illustrative of the fact that the current cabal in the Senate wishes to control as much information as possible.

While I'm a big critic of Congressional "fact finding" trips to anything other than a library, the selective nature of this bar is quite illustrative of the fact that the current cabal in the Senate wishes to control as much information as possible.

Isn't honduras where Sanford went to get his mistress? Maybe Demint was going on a fact finding mission for one as well

Do you have a link to the article?

Isn't honduras where Sanford went to get his mistress? Maybe Demint was going on a fact finding mission for one as well

No.

Argentina.

I am not big on these congressional fact finding missions anyway. They just raised the hell out of their budgets for many silly excuses. The gall of these fellows is monumental.

Last edited:
It seems incredibly petty for John Kerry to block a fact-finding mission, especially when Kerry himself just got back from a fact-finding mission to Syria. Did Kerry provide any reason for blocking the trip? Unless there were security concerns and the Secret Service told DeMint no (which I highly doubt), he should be allowed to go to Honduras.

Furthermore, Hillary Clinton made a tactical mistake when she announced that the US would not recognize the results of the Honduran election. This was the solution that could've helped everyone involved save face. I don't understand why she rejected it.

Last edited:
Oh I love this so if I'm any Republican I would be holding Mr. Kerry and the rest of the Deomcrats to the Firer over this one.

If it's selective then it certainly warrants criticism, nevertheless, I do not approve of Demint wanting to meddle in Honduras.

I am not big on these congressional fact finding missions anyway. They just raised the hell out of their budgets for many silly excuses. The gall of these fellows is monumental.

I agree with that. Especially when you consider who's going. I have a hard time grasping that people are going to be completely honest with these delegations. If you want the dirty facts which you need, you don't send Congress members who are extremely likely to get biased statements from both sides and lots of whitewashing.

The damn link is posted three times now, can we get off the man's back? Geez. Who the hell is Kerry, the baby-killing loser. If it were a security issue, Kerry would have nothing to do with it anyway. Maybe Kerry didn't want DeMint looking into Clinton's agenda down there.

Back
Top Bottom