• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stop calling it 'swine flu', US agriculture secretary says

Who wants to die from "swine" flu." It's embarrassing!

ZOMG!!z1 Swine Flu = 4th Reich

LOLWUT5.jpg

To be honest, perhaps I'm underestimating people's intelligence, but it is my suspicion that not too many people associate "swine" with "pigs".
It's not a common word for pigs. It's archaic.
I'll bet there's a fair number of people who hear "swine flu" and never even realize that the word "swine" means "pig".
And I'll bet there's an even greater number who hear "swine flu", do realize- vaguely- that "swine" is an old-fashioned word for "pig", and then promptly forget that fact and never make the association again.

I understand why the pork industry is so desperate to have this stigma removed from their product, but frankly I think they're worried about nothing.
If it were called "pig flu" or "pork flu", there might be a problem, but as it is, I doubt there is one.

Back
Top Bottom