• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gordon Brown finally breaks silence on Lockerbie

Laila

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Gordon Brown today broke his silence on the release of the Lockerbie bomber, saying that he was "angry and repulsed" at the scenes of jubilation in Libya.

The Prime Minister has been under pressure to comment ever since the Scottish Justice Secretary announced last Thursday that he was releasing Abdel Baset Ali al-Megrahi from a Scottish jail on compassionate grounds to go home to die.

The release, less than eight years into al-Megrahi's minimum 28-year term for bombing Pan Am flight 103 with the loss of 270 lives, has prompted outrage in America - and suspicions that the release was secretly negotiated by Westminster to free up trade relations with oil-rich Libya. But Mr Brown has until today refused to say anything to confirm or deny the suspicions.

The Conservatives have condemned Mr Brown's silence on the issue as cowardly, pointing out that he had found the time to comment on England's Ashes victory over Australia.

Gordon Brown finally breaks silence on Lockerbie to condemn Libya - Times Online

Is it just me not buying it? Someone high up had something to do with it.
Is it just chance a few days after the release .... Libya invests hundreds of millions into the city of London.

Last edited:
-- Is it just chance a few days after the release .... Libya invests hundreds of millions into the city of London.

The investment hasn't happened yet - however there was some investment a few months ago when two major commercial properties were bought in London.

Certainly I feel you have something there - the bomber gets released to a "heroes welcome" and Libya instructs property advisors to start looking for major property investment opportunities.

Libya prepares to invest heavily in London

Gordon Brown finally breaks silence on Lockerbie to condemn Libya - Times Online

Is it just me not buying it? Someone high up had something to do with it.
Is it just chance a few days after the release .... Libya invests hundreds of millions into the city of London.

I doubt that, for the fact that final decisions about releasing Scottish prisoners can only be made by Kenny McAskill, the Justice Minister. Even if the government at Westminister wanted Megrahi released in exchange for Libyan investments, they couldn't do so without getting McAskill on board. And when considers the fact that he's a Nationalist MSP, it'd seem very unlikely for him to take part in any deal that would primarily result in benefit for an English city.

And when considers the fact that he's a Nationalist MSP, it'd seem very unlikely for him to take part in any deal that would primarily result in benefit for an English city.

Lol

It must be a smack in the face for him then.
London will most likely get the benefits if the investments stated above occurs and he gets all the blame. hehe

I doubt that, for the fact that final decisions about releasing Scottish prisoners can only be made by Kenny McAskill, the Justice Minister. Even if the government at Westminister wanted Megrahi released in exchange for Libyan investments, they couldn't do so without getting McAskill on board. And when considers the fact that he's a Nationalist MSP, it'd seem very unlikely for him to take part in any deal that would primarily result in benefit for an English city.

I think that something stinks in the State of Scotland..

Brown's view is little more important than any other figure in the public eye. This was Scotland's decision and its business.

Technically the Westminister gov't could have released him but it never would have even considered making the decision either way.

Last edited:
Lol

It must be a smack in the face for him then.
London will most likely get the benefits if the investments stated above occurs and he gets all the blame. hehe

Well, who would put their reputation on the line to benefit a city in another country? From a political standpoint, it doesn't make much sense.

Well, who would put their reputation on the line to benefit a city in another country? From a political standpoint, it doesn't make much sense.

Doesn't make sense but i am not complaining here.

Investment to London is always good and hey, if we benefit the rewards and not get any of the blame. All the better tbh

Back
Top Bottom