• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ew York has found a novel, if expensive, way of dealing with its overcrowded shelters

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
New York gives homeless people a one-way ticket to leave city

ew York has found a novel, if expensive, way of dealing with its overcrowded shelters – buying one-way tickets for homeless families to leave the city.

Under the initiative, by the administration of the mayor, Michael Bloomberg, hundreds of families have been given plane, rail, and bus tickets and even petrol vouchers to leave the city. One homeless family of five was given $6,332 (nearly £4,000) worth of travel costs to Paris, according to the New York Times.

:lol: this is awesome, now emprorer bloomberg can claim in his idiotic advertisements that he reduced homelessness in the big city...... I wonder if any other states would consider this an invasion?

Re: ew York has found a novel, if expensive, way of dealing with its overcrowded shel

:lol: this is awesome, now emprorer bloomberg can claim in his idiotic advertisements that he reduced homelessness in the big city...... I wonder if any other states would consider this an invasion?

That's what they used to do to the homeless in my town, but they'd send them all to the same place. It was a nearby town that has an absolutely horrid economy, but they still have the good sense to have a homeless shelter.

Re: ew York has found a novel, if expensive, way of dealing with its overcrowded shel

NYC isn't the only place that does this. Other cities across North America have similar policies. Homeless people are essentially migrants that are shuffled around by the different municipalities because no one wants to address the problem. It usually operates on a 10 year cycle. In the beginning, they are sent from city X to city Y, and the mayor claims victory (and gains political points); 10 years later, city Y sends them back, claiming political success. Same old story.

In the end the homeless are still homeless, and as lost as ever. After all the money that is spent to push them out, they could have just used the money to create job placement programs and/or introductory education programs to at least give them the bare bones skills to get SOME kind of work.

I was just reading about this. I think it sounds like a good plan. He isn't just shipping them to wherever, it's open to families who have relatives who agree to take them in. Seems like a good plan. It'll save NYC money, and it will reunite homeless families with a familial support system that can hopefully get them back on their feet. Win-win.

Whatever happened to workhouses?

That's what they used to do to the homeless in my town, but they'd send them all to the same place. It was a nearby town that has an absolutely horrid economy, but they still have the good sense to have a homeless shelter.

So the one town deals with it's derelict problem by sending them away, another town is silly enough to house them.

I'll take the first town, thanks.

The Germans used gas.

If someone becomes homeless in California all they have to do is show up at any County office request a Mexican speaking county worker. Of course you have to do this in Mexican tell them you have no valid ID in this country and sit back and watch the help roll in. It is important that you never allow yourself to be seen speaking English. Oh need helth care? No problemo.
If you anyone else. Forget it. Move on to the next city or county.

What's a female sheep doing in York, anyway?

The VA estimates there are 131,000 veterans at any given moment who are homeless. Food for thought all you who wrap yourselves in the flag.

National Coalition for Homeless Veterans

Veterans make up 1 in 4 homeless

More of our moral teachings from conservatives; mock and laugh at the homeless.

The VA estimates there are 131,000 veterans at any given moment who are homeless. Food for thought all you who wrap yourselves in the flag.

Gee well thanks for speaking for us Veterans. When did you serve again that you would think you could use us for your politcal bantering?

Gee well thanks for speaking for us Veterans. When did you serve again that you would think you could use us for your politcal bantering?

He's not. He actually made a really good point. What I have seen so far in the thread are posters who think the homeless are lazy and don't want to work. While that is the case with some, there's usually a lot more to the story. Many times, homeless suffer from addiction and mental issues.

He's not. He actually made a really good point. What I have seen so far in the thread are posters who think the homeless are lazy and don't want to work. While that is the case with some, there's usually a lot more to the story. Many times, homeless suffer from addiction and mental issues.

I think a lot of the homeless are indeed lazy, crazy, or choose to be out there. The fact that some are veterans, this poster used as fodder for hyper-partisanism..... I know its left wing hyper-partisanism, so its ok.... :lol:

I mean really, why is this poster not upset that the liberal mayor is instead of helping the homeless, "veterans", seding them back to where they will surel leave again for the most part.

When we lived in DC, my wife used to work with homeless vets at the big vet center in DC. Some of them were irritable old cusses, but most of them were great guys. The ones she was working with had already gotten over some of whatever issues had kept them from having a home. There were others worse off, but other folks were working with them.

When we lived in DC, my wife used to work with homeless vets at the big vet center in DC. Some of them were irritable old cusses, but most of them were great guys. The ones she was working with had already gotten over some of whatever issues had kept them from having a home. There were others worse off, but other folks were working with them.

I'm glad to hear they got the help that they needed, and managed to get some back on track.

I think a lot of the homeless are indeed lazy, crazy, or choose to be out there.

So where would you file the homeless vets under?

1) Lazy
2) Crazy
3) Choose to be out there

1) Lazy
2) Crazy

Depends on the particular person. I find your notion that we veterans are all the same rather disturbing.

Depends on the particular person. I find your notion that we veterans are all the same rather disturbing.

The fact that you think I wrote such a thing is rather disturbing.

The fact that you think I wrote such a thing is rather disturbing.

:confused::confused:

1) Lazy
2) Crazy

Did you not just post this?

are you suggesting that homles vet A. must be on the streets for the same reason homless vet B. is on the street?

You thanked a rabid hyperpartisan post. You then made it seem as if homless vets are a homogeneous group, when they are not.

Being a vet, is not a factor in homeless ness, it is something a homless person may or may not ALSO be.....

If you and sam_w were so concerned with "homeless vets" you can start helping them by not lumping them all as the same.

:confused::confused:

Did you not just post this?

are you suggesting that homles vet A. must be on the streets for the same reason homless vet B. is on the street?

You thanked a rabid hyperpartisan post. You then made it seem as if homless vets are a homogeneous group, when they are not.

Being a vet, is not a factor in homeless ness, it is something a homless person may or may not ALSO be.....

If you and sam_w were so concerned with "homeless vets" you can start helping them by not lumping them all as the same.

Jeepers creepers, Rev. I was NOT suggesting, LOL. I was asking YOU, LOL.

When a sentence ends with a "?" it's a question, not a notion or personal opinion.

Good lord!!!! :doh

:lol: you miss my point, must be a Canadian/American language barrier thing... I blame myself.... :2razz:

:lol: you miss my point, must be a Canadian/American language barrier thing... I blame myself.... :2razz:

What was your point? Putting words into my mouth?

Spin it all you want, Rev, I don't care. I came in here because most here seemed to be lumping all homeless into one caterogy:

Lazy.

I came in here to correct that. Including the many veterans who find themselves homeless after serving their country.

Lol lighten up...... Its all good

Back
Top Bottom