• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama wants high-paying, high-skill jobs in future

Harry Guerrilla

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Obama wants high-paying, high-skill jobs in future

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama fielded questions on jobs, the auto industry, universal health care, mortgages, education, veterans' care and legalization of marijuana as he kicked off a first-of-its-kind Internet era Town Hall at the White House. Obama said job creation in America is difficult in a time of economic hardship and that the work of the future should be in more high-paying, high-skill areas like clean energy technology.

The president said, "When I was running for president, I promised to open the White House for the American people. This is an important step toward achieving that goal."

Before the meeting got under way, the White House had gotten over 100,000 online questions.

Obama had some fun with at least one question, saying he doesn't think legalizing marijuana is a good strategy for turning around the economy.

Obama told the audience that one of the most popular questions was whether legalization of the illicit drug would help pull the nation out of the recession. The president jokingly said: "I don't know what this says about the online audience."

In a serious response, he said he didn't think that was a good economic policy.

I suggest everyone at least read the entire article, as it deals with questions asked by people online.

He answered the marijuana question and made light of it, it makes me laugh so hard to think that the war on drugs has killed countless people and imprisoned the rest for victimless crimes. :lol: :lol:....... :roll:

The following talking point is getting old:

Obama said job creation in America is difficult in a time of economic hardship and that the work of the future should be in more high-paying, high-skill areas like clean energy technology.

With the stroke of a pen, nuclear plants could break ground tomorrow in states that have the least resistance to them. We've heard not one word on this from Obama.

The majority of wind & solar system manufacturing is in Europe. The market is ripe for us to break out in these area's if we could get instant tax breaks in retail, installation and on the consumer end.

The enviroloons have thwarted development in these area's too. California & Oregon making the news as of late.

This definitely caught my eye:

Obama says the ideal path to universal health care is to build on the current system that relies in part on employer plans rather than scrap what has existed for generations.

Asked why the U.S. couldn't opt for a European system, Obama said the United States has a legacy of employer-based plans that have filled the needs of a majority of Americans. He said the country has a set of institutions that aren't easily transformed.

He said he is looking to Congress to find that optimal system and it needs to be overhauled now rather than waiting for decades.

He said the biggest driver of the nation's long-term deficit is Medicare and Medicaid.

If the government can't run Medicaid & Medicare efficiently, then why in the hell would we want them tinkering with our private insurance system?

I admit I was extremely skeptical by the time I got to this portion:

Already, the White House is connecting the old-school press conference with the new-media event. It will be an easy contrast between skeptical reporters and supporter-selected questions.

Political operatives say the White House's strategy is a way to reach a demographic key to Obama's election.

"In both cases the questioners are just props — or, in some cases, foils — for the star, Obama, to deliver his message. But in the latter case, they get to self-nominate instead of be selected by elites," Winograd said.

and then when I got here:

Yet the process lends itself to softer questions and ones the White House is eager to answer, Republicans noted.

I thought to myself, you are definitely a republican my dear.

call me cynical but this is more of the same crap that got him elected--marketing himself to the uneducated and uninformed, and dodging or being very vague about the real issues. whatever you do, don't say anything too specific--talk about how everyone loves veterans, how nurses are the backbone of the country, how some teachers are bad, but don't give any numbers or stats or offer any real solution to any problem, else you might antagonize someone or reveal your own incompetence/inexperience.

I resent the media at times like anyone, but the ones asking the questions at those press conferences are sharp! they are good at what they do and they are ruthless. I think presidents need that accountability. not just a bunch of people online asking, "how are you going to help me pay my mortgage?"

puh-leeeze.

He answered the marijuana question and made light of it, it makes me laugh so hard to think that the war on drugs has killed countless people and imprisoned the rest for victimless crimes. :lol: :lol:....... :roll:

...and consumed hundreds of billions of dollars of resources, and alienated many nations to the south.

if this was an attempt to make the presidency transparent, all I can say is those waters are muddier than ever.

I wouldn't expect an administration to be completely transparent anyway, except for the fact that obama went out of his way to promise it. bad move.

...and consumed hundreds of billions of dollars of resources, and alienated many nations to the south.

Not to mention the young voting block in this country.

I just caught part of the news, because I wanted to see some of his responses, this one in particular.

He was very condescending in his mannerism and language when he said:

"I don't know what this says about the online audience."

I know sometimes it might seem petty to be critisizing him about all the little nuances, but it just goes to show poor judgement in how he really thinks about people.

Not to mention the young voting block in this country.

I just caught part of the news, because I wanted to see some of his responses, this one in particular.

I know sometimes it might seem petty to be critisizing him about all the little nuances, but it just goes to show poor judgement in how he really thinks about people.

I'd let it go if he offered some reasonable thought on why he doesn't think it would work but he doesn't.

Instead, just like everyone else he makes light of it as a dodge and everyone who has a serious interest in this more pissed .

Etheral put really well in another thread. They are chasing unicorns.

Last edited:
I'd let it go if he offered some reasonable thought on why he doesn't think it would work but he doesn't.

Instead, just like everyone else he makes light of it as a dodge and everyone who has a serious interest in this more pissed .

Etheral put really well in another thread. They are chasing unicorns.

Exactly.

There's just too much vagueness in too many of his responses to fully trust him to do the right thing.

I too have been loosely following that thread.

It really is brilliant. He gets to come across as someone who really cares what the proles think because he's letting them ask questions, and then gets to have his staff sort through all of them to find the absolute best ones to allow him to make his points.

It really is brilliant. He gets to come across as someone who really cares what the proles think because he's letting them ask questions, and then gets to have his staff sort through all of them to find the absolute best ones to allow him to make his points.

I agree, when I read it in the story the first thing I thought was he answered all the questions related to his budget plans in full.

The rest were mulled over.

Plebeians the people have become, I suggest everyone interested in the open question Town Hall to read the actual top rated questions on the website before he has the next meeting.

Marijuana legalization was the top question if I'm not mistaken.

I agree, when I read it in the story the first thing I thought was he answered all the questions related to his budget plans in full.

The rest were mulled over.

Plebeians the people have become, I suggest everyone interested in the open question Town Hall to read the actual top rated questions on the website before he has the next meeting.

The top seven questions about the budget were all about marijuana.

When thats the top question, I can safely say that the people have gotten the government they deserve.

I'm not opposed to the legalization of marijuana, but its really not that important to be the one question you ask the President.

When thats the top question, I can safely say that the people have gotten the government they deserve.

I'm not opposed to the legalization of marijuana, but its really not that important to be the one question you ask the President.

Whats even worse is that the gov they got doesn't care. :(

The run up of the cartel wars is reason enough.

In this instance its the continuation of dodge and spend.

I personally think states should ultimatley decide this, and the feds should keep their noses clean(so to speak). But Obama and the Dems aren't proponents of having the Feds return power to the states as far as I can tell. So I don't expect any change in attitude towards this issue out of Washington anytime soon.

well, over the months I've realized that tact is not his strong point. tact is not my strong point, either. tact is not essential in a good president.

I choose to ignore my suspicion that it is his contempt for the american way which leads him to make these statements, although that is the basis of my mistrust of him.

things like tact and charisma are not essential, though they make it easier to get elected. what obama may think, deep down, is not as important as what obama accomplishes while in office. my focus is not on the man barack, but on the bottom line. in the meantime, he is the president of the united states and I defy anyone to throw a shoe at him.

this is how I cope. :mrgreen:

well, over the months I've realized that tact is not his strong point. tact is not my strong point, either. tact is not essential in a good president.

I choose to ignore my suspicion that it is his contempt for the american way which leads him to make these statements, although that is the basis of my mistrust of him.

things like tact and charisma are not essential, though they make it easier to get elected. what obama may think, deep down, is not as important as what obama accomplishes while in office. my focus is not on the man barack, but on the bottom line. in the meantime, he is the president of the united states and I defy anyone to throw a shoe at him.

this is how I cope. :mrgreen:

shoes.jpg

My bad, I was just razzin you. :(

jeez, everything is a joke to you people, and meanwhile the country goes to hell in a hand basket.

your face mocks me.
brawny.jpg

Back
Top Bottom