• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lawmakers Alarmed by Reports U.S. Envoy Told Brazil It Could Help Re-elect Trump

W_Heisenberg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Lawmakers ‘Alarmed’ by Reports U.S. Envoy Told Brazil It Could Help Re-elect Trump - The New York Times

Lawmakers ‘Alarmed’ by Reports U.S. Envoy Told Brazil It Could Help Re-elect Trump

The House Foreign Affairs Committee has begun an inquiry into multiple reports in the Brazilian media that the U.S. ambassador was framing negotiations over ethanol tariffs in partisan terms.

July 31, 2020

RIO DE JANEIRO — Members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee said Friday they were “extremely alarmed” by assertions that the American ambassador in Brazil had signaled to Brazilian officials they could help get President Trump re-elected by changing their trade policies. In a letter sent Friday afternoon, Committee Chairman Eliot L. Engel demanded that the ambassador, Todd Chapman, produce “any and all documents referring or related to any discussions” he has held with Brazilian officials in recent weeks about their nation’s tariffs on ethanol, an important agricultural export for Iowa, a potential swing state in the American presidential election.

The committee’s letter was sent in response to reports in the Brazilian news media this week saying that Mr. Chapman, a career diplomat, made it clear to Brazilian officials they could bolster Mr. Trump’s electoral chances in Iowa if Brazil lifted its ethanol tariffs. Eliminating tariffs would give the Trump administration a welcome trade victory to present to struggling ethanol producers in Iowa, where the president is in a close race with his Democratic rival, Joseph R. Biden Jr. The House committee said it was opening an inquiry into the matter. The State Department said Friday afternoon in an emailed statement that “allegations suggesting that Ambassador Chapman has asked Brazilians to support a specific U.S. candidate are false.” The statement added: “The United States has long been focused on reducing tariff barriers and will continue do so.” The O Globo newspaper published a story on Thursday saying Mr. Chapman had underscored “the importance to the Brazilian government of keeping Donald Trump” in office. Mr. Bolsonaro, a far-right leader, has made closer alignment with the Trump administration his top foreign policy priority. A competing newspaper, Estadão, published an article Friday saying its reporters independently confirmed that the ambassador framed his argument against tariffs in partisan terms. The article said the Brazilian officials who met with Mr. Chapman rejected the appeal, declining to be drawn into the American presidential battle.

Trump's corruption knows no bounds and will not end until he is voted out of office. This is yet more evidence that Trump should have been impeached, convicted, and removed from office earlier this year.

And as AG Barr first replied when asked if it was ever acceptable for a president to solicit or accept foreign assistance in an election "It depends on what kind of assistance." Of course, once he removed his foot from his mouth and the question was again asked, Barr recanted his first response.

In other words, it would be inappropriate to accept actual bags of cash, but maybe a little investigation announcement into an opponent or maybe a little hacking of an opponent's computers, these things could possibly be overlooked.

Last edited:
Keeping the instances of trump actively cheating in the election organized in my mind is becoming a challenge.

Who could have foreseen that surviving impeachment would embolden Trump to do more cheating?

Explain again why getting Trump reelected would help sell the idea of lifting the ethanol tariffs to the Brazilians?

Brazil: "We have ethanol tariffs to protect our own domestic ethanol producers."

US Envoys: "But if you dropped them, then it would help Trump get reelected."

Brazil: "Ok we'll left the tariffs"

Seems like I missed a step there.

Explain again why getting Trump reelected would help sell the idea of lifting the ethanol tariffs to the Brazilians?

Brazil: "We have ethanol tariffs to protect our own domestic ethanol producers."

You're not that dumb are you?

Keeping the instances of trump actively cheating in the election organized in my mind is becoming a challenge.

Who could have foreseen that surviving impeachment would embolden Trump to do more cheating?

Don't worry. Susan Collins assured us that him being impeached would mean trump would learn his lesson.

Indeed you did.

You missed

Brazil:- "What's in it for us?"

US Envoys:- "Well, we can't be specific, because that would look like bribery, but you can count on Mr. Trump's honesty and integrity to ensure that you actually get more than you give up."

Brazil:- "Really?"

US Envoys:- "Would Mr. Trump tell a lie?"

[Voice from offstage]:- "Mr. Brazil, your day pass from 'The Home' has expired."

Trolling like this is why I seldom read and even more seldom respond to your posts.

Do I care if you respond?

I'm serious...anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see how this works.

Answer this: why did Trump put tariffs on certain Chinese goods?

Indeed you did.

You missed

Brazil:- "What's in it for us?"

US Envoys:- "Well, we can't be specific, because that would look like bribery, but you can count on Mr. Trump's honesty and integrity to ensure that you actually get more than you give up."

Brazil:- "Really?"

US Envoys:- "Would Mr. Trump tell a lie?"

That's a lotta conjecture there. And I thought all the other countries hated Trump and wanted him gone. I guess not.

That's a lotta conjecture there. And I thought all the other countries hated Trump and wanted him gone. I guess not.

Not the current Brazillian government. Bolsonaro and Trump are widely seen as allies, and this accounts for the U.S. envoy's rationale behind expecting Brazil to respond to the political argument.

And why would Trump and Bolsonaro be allies?

There's a simple answer for that:

Fascism has arrived in Brazil – Jair Bolsonaro’s presidency will be worse than you think | The Independent

They are both fascists.

It's the same reasoning that Trump asked the Ukraine and China to investigate Biden and China to buy soybeans from U.S. farmers and asked the president of Mexico to stop saying Mexico was not going to pay for the wall publicly. How does it help those countries? It doesn't, other than to get in the good graces of our Godfather president. "You do me this favor, I will not forget."

Not the current Brazillian government. Bolsonaro and Trump are widely seen as allies, and this accounts for the U.S. envoy's rationale behind expecting Brazil to respond to the political argument.

Even assuming that's true (and I am not stipulating to that, this is just conjecture), wouldn't opening up Brazil to US ethanol makers be a good thing?

What if Trump can get more out of the Brazilians than Biden can? Would that be a reason for voting for him, especially if you are a Iowa corn grower?

I don’t see a problem with a diplomat invoking his bosses name to get them to agree on a deal. We need access to their markets. If lightning strikes and Biden gets elected, are you planning to have the same rules for them as you do for Trump?

We all know that answer.

BTW,
U.S. trade with Brazil tops $20.03 billion through May 2020
Brazil recorded $73.94 billion in trade with the United States. Total U.S. exports to Brazil were $ 43.08 billion and imports from Brazil were $30.85 billion.

You TDS/Antifa types are destructive to America’s economy.

Don't worry. Susan Collins assured us that him being impeached would mean trump would learn his lesson.

As if she ever gave a ****. She and Murkowski are the biggest con artists in Congress, and that includes the Congressmen caught doing insider trading.

No, you didn't miss a step. You approve of election cheating and abuse of power.

I'll make it big so you see it this time,

"Mr. Chapman, a career diplomat, made it clear to Brazilian officials they could bolster Mr. Trump’s electoral chances in Iowa if Brazil lifted its ethanol tariffs."

"Mr. Chapman, a career diplomat, made it clear to Brazilian officials they could bolster Mr. Trump’s electoral chances in Iowa if Brazil lifted its ethanol tariffs."

Because right wing authoritarian wannabe dictators have to stick together.

I'll return the favor.

Back
Top Bottom