• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oddball Art

Not really art. Just a collection of junk people threw out. Looks like a bad second hand shop.

Not really art. Just a collection of junk people threw out. Looks like a bad second hand shop.

One man's trash is another's treasure. Ever visit a museum, an archeological dig? How many aphroditic statuettes missing noses, limbs, and so on have been rescued from ancient trash dumps and now demand outrageous prices at galleries? Broken clay tobacco pipes from a basement dig in downtown Manhattan from the Dutch era, the basement built over a garbage dump, sell for upwards of $1k. "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

During the 1890's a Sultan visiting Paris for the first time with members of his harem, allowed the ladies to be photographed without their veils. They all had mustaches. Thick mustaches. They were not men in drag. Copies of the photo from the original daguerreotype are sold at the Louvre store for about 200€.

One man's trash is another's treasure. Ever visit a museum, an archeological dig? How many aphroditic statuettes missing noses, limbs, and so on have been rescued from ancient trash dumps and now demand outrageous prices at galleries? Broken clay tobacco pipes from a basement dig in downtown Manhattan from the Dutch era, the basement built over a garbage dump, sell for upwards of $1k. "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

During the 1890's a Sultan visiting Paris for the first time with members of his harem, allowed the ladies to be photographed without their veils. They all had mustaches. Thick mustaches. They were not men in drag. Copies of the photo from the original daguerreotype are sold at the Louvre store for about 200€.

Old garbage dumps are gold mines, but still, doesn't make it art. I have dug many old glass bottles from old trash mounds.

Old garbage dumps are gold mines, but still, doesn't make it art. I have dug many old glass bottles from old trash mounds.

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

To you. And Andy Warhol's Can of Campbell Soup?

A painting not a literal can of soup found in the trash sitting on the shelf of a sanitation department warehouse.

A painting not a literal can of soup found in the trash sitting on the shelf of a sanitation department warehouse.

Many think it is trash.

I toss out more artwork than most people see in their lifetime. I just don't have room for it and it makes me sad.

Back
Top Bottom