• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Was Jesus hung on a cross?

it's just me

Non Bidenary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
You know the Watchtower claims that Christ wasn’t hung on a cross but on a pole. They throw rocks at all the other Christian religions for teaching that Jesus was crucified.

It is interesting that the “torture stake” theory was introduced not by Charles Taze Russell (founder of the Bible Students movement) but by none other than the trial lawyer, “Judge” Rutherford. Trial lawyers make their living by manipulating words. They can shade and change the meaning of words and testimony in order to change opinion or even question established fact.

Rutherford made his living doing this in court and he continued his assault when he seized control of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society. He was a master at establishing doubt in the minds of his followers and he used it to great advantage while building a worldwide organization of followers who do nothing but parrot his failed and flawed theology.

The Watchtower has again introduced a “paper tiger”. Saying that Jesus wasn’t crucified has absolutely no basis in reality or the historical record. Yet some people fall for their flawed arguments because they fail to think critically for themselves.

The Watchtower Files

You know the Watchtower claims that Christ wasn’t hung on a cross but on a pole. They throw rocks at all the other Christian religions for teaching that Jesus was crucified.

It is interesting that the “torture stake” theory was introduced not by Charles Taze Russell (founder of the Bible Students movement) but by none other than the trial lawyer, “Judge” Rutherford. Trial lawyers make their living by manipulating words. They can shade and change the meaning of words and testimony in order to change opinion or even question established fact.

Rutherford made his living doing this in court and he continued his assault when he seized control of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society. He was a master at establishing doubt in the minds of his followers and he used it to great advantage while building a worldwide organization of followers who do nothing but parrot his failed and flawed theology.

The Watchtower has again introduced a “paper tiger”. Saying that Jesus wasn’t crucified has absolutely no basis in reality or the historical record. Yet some people fall for their flawed arguments because they fail to think critically for themselves.

The Watchtower Files

Isn't Rutherford the guy who said Armageddon was supposed to have occurred almost 100 years ago? Have any of his prophesies ever come true?

Well, it doesn't matter that much.

There's plenty of evidence that crucifixion was the Roman's go to method of execution back in the day.

Isn't Rutherford the guy who said Armageddon was supposed to have occurred almost 100 years ago? Have any of his prophesies ever come true?

No JW prophecies never came to pass, I don't remember anything about Armageddon, but I'll check that out.

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't matter that much.

There's plenty of evidence that crucifixion was the Roman's go to method of execution back in the day.

The point was that as hard as JWs hit this torture stake thing, the idea was not even thought of until the 1920s.

"Rutherford, once in power, didn’t waste any time establishing his niche’. He busied himself in writing entire series of books and pamphlets bearing his unique vision of “God’s plan.” Rutherford’s vision differed greatly from that of the bearded and long haired Russell both philosophically as well as doctrinally.

Suddenly Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving became pagan holidays.

Suddenly Jesus came down off the cross and a pole was put in its place.

Suddenly living a good Christian life, taking care of others and giving your time and money to charity was placed into the “not so necessary” category while the door to door sales of books and pamphlets became the prime directive.

“Religion is a snare and a racket!”

“Advertise Advertise Advertise the king and his kingdom!”

These were the sales slogans of the new Bible Students!

The term “Bible Students” was just too general and broad a name for the organization. It didn’t fit into Rutherford’s plan of having a truly unique religion so he came up with a novel idea:

Give the organization a unique name that was legitimate but at the same time controversial! The newly dubbed Jehovah’s Witnesses (Jehovah being the English version of the name of the Hebrew God of the old testament) were sent to the remotest areas of our country bearing phonographs and wearing billboards. This was Rutherford’s marketing campaign for the new Watchtower Society and business was booming! The prior emphasis on Christ’s role in the salvation of a Christian was removed and the worship of Christ was forbidden. The organization now led by Jehovah (and Judge Rutherford) was the new channel of redemption and still is to this day!"

You searched for Charity - The Watchtower Files

The Watchtower Files

Am I crazy or am I missing the relevance?!?!!

Let’s say it was a post ..... what changes?? Nothing..

If I’m right mainstream historians think it was a T cross rather than a t cross, but say a Polaroid was discovered of Jesus at the crucifixion and it is a pole. What changes besides some church signs maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I’m right mainstream historians think it was a T cross rather than a t cross, but say a Polaroid was discovered of Jesus at the crucifixion and it is a pole. What changes besides some church signs maybe?

What changes is those who've used the cross in their idol worship all this time...:2razz:

The point was that as hard as JWs hit this torture stake thing, the idea was not even thought of until the 1920s.

You would be shocked if you researched when SUPER common aspects of Christian theology was implemented..

I think Hell as a fiery place where the unbelievers go is only like 800 years old..

Heaven as a place for our family members while awaiting Jesus’s return.. very recent.

Oodles of crazy Catholicism was abandoned along the way...

What changes is those who've used the cross in their idol worship all this time...:2razz:

Only for those who really care about the minutia.... aka not many peoples at all..

Exhibit A: everyone’s pictures of the blue eyed Jesus.. lol

Just a demonstration of the JW's irrelevancy and their quest to change history.

You would be shocked if you researched when SUPER common aspects of Christian theology was implemented..

I think Hell as a fiery place where the unbelievers go is only like 800 years old..

Heaven as a place for our family members while awaiting Jesus’s return.. very recent.

Oodles of crazy Catholicism was abandoned along the way...

I'm going to post something on that on the other forum, hell goes back to New Testament times.

I'm going to post something on that on the other forum, hell goes back to New Testament times.

Different hell...

Jews only have a purgatory and first century Christians were expecting everyone to be resurrected “in the flesh”.

In first century theology everyone’s “spirit” was supposed to wait in the ground and be resurrected with their body.

The hell where bad people go to be punished started sometime not very long before Dante, and Dante is what is thought to have popularized the concept (I’m pretty sure Dante popularized the concept, his is definitely almost the earliest account of that kind of hell..

Christian theology couldn’t have a hell for all the non-believers until they ran the State as well.. if you told some barbarian king your god is gonna torture his soul forever if he doesn’t listen to you and he would take your head before you got off your horse.

Different hell...

Jews only have a purgatory and first century Christians were expecting everyone to be resurrected “in the flesh”.

In first century theology everyone’s “spirit” was supposed to wait in the ground and be resurrected with their body.

The hell where bad people go to be punished started sometime not very long before Dante, and Dante is what is thought to have popularized the concept (I’m pretty sure Dante popularized the concept, his is definitely almost the earliest account of that kind of hell..

Christian theology couldn’t have a hell for all the non-believers until they ran the State as well.. if you told some barbarian king your god is gonna torture his soul forever if he doesn’t listen to you and he would take your head before you got off your horse.

IJM has no idea what he's talking about and he claims to be a priest, of all things...the thought of a burning hell comes from paganism, not the Bible..

Torture stake or crucifix is not a salvation issue.

The Watchtower Files

Why are you bashing a religion in Theo?

You are not a religious authority.

lol...I know what the Bible says about it...it is something detestable to God...

‘Cursed is the man who makes a carved image or a metal statue, a thing detestable to Jehovah, the workmanship of the hands of a craftsman, and who has hidden it.’ (And all the people will respond, saying, ‘Amen!’)" Deuteronomy 27:15

"They took pride in the beauty of their ornaments, and they made with them their detestable images, their disgusting idols. That is why I will make it an abhorrent thing to them." Ezekiel 7:20

Leviticus 18:26-30; Deuteronomy 7:25,26; Isaiah 44:18-20...

Different hell...

This hell was Gehenna.

This hell was Gehenna.

What happens when something was thrown into that garbage dump? It was destroyed, burned up into cinders, which is why Gehenna was used by Jesus and his disciples to symbolize the eternal punishment of “second death,”...everlasting destruction, annihilation.​...Revelation 20:14; Matthew 5:22; 10:28...

Back
Top Bottom