• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man shot while attempting to rob driver at gas station

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A 20-year-old man is in critical condition after police say he attempted to rob someone at a gas station and the victim shot him.
Officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were called to a gas station at West 34th Street and North Moller Road around 9:26 p.m. Friday on a report of a person shot.
Police arrived to find a 20-year-old man with an injury consistent with a gunshot wound, and emergency medics took the man to an area hospital in critical condition.
Detectives at the scene learned that the man who was shot had approached a vehicle at the gas station and attempted to rob the driver, who shot the robbery suspect.
The person in the vehicle stayed at the scene and on Friday night was cooperating with police.

Thug boy should have just got an honest job instead of robbing people.

Man shot while attempting to rob driver at gas station | WISHTV.com

In Florida....

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – One teen was killed and another was hospitalized after being shot by a resident of a home they were breaking into, deputies said.
Deputies responded to the Seasons at Westchase apartment complex on Citrus Falls Circle around 7:30 p.m. Saturday after the report of a double shooting.
The residents of the home, a man and his fiance, said two teens kicked in their screened-in area of their back patio and got into their home. They said one was armed with a gun and made demands.
During the encounter, the sheriff’s office said the resident grabbed his legally-owned gun and fired at the teens, hitting both.
Both teens were transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital where one of them died from the gunshot wound.
When deputies first arrived on the scene, they located a vehicle with two teenagers inside. In talking to the two, they determined they were likely also involved in the home invasion.
All four suspects are between the ages of 16 and 17 and attend Gaither High School in Tampa. None of them have been charged yet.

Deputies: Teen shot dead, another injured while trying to break into Tampa home | WFLA

In Indiana...

COLUMBUS, Ind. (WISH) — Police say a man in Columbus fatally shot a person who confronted him with a baseball bat in his own home early Saturday morning.
Officers with the Columbus Police Department were called to a home in the 2000 block of Home Avenue around 1 a.m. Saturday on a report of shots fired, Columbus police said Saturday afternoon.
They arrived to find a man with multiple gunshot wounds inside the home. The man was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The homeowner told police he was confronted inside his own home by an unknown person with a baseball bat and discharged a firearm a short time later, striking the man, police said.

Columbus homeowner fatally shoots man he says confronted him with baseball bat | WISHTV.com

Last edited:
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A 20-year-old man is in critical condition after police say he attempted to rob someone at a gas station and the victim shot him.
Officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were called to a gas station at West 34th Street and North Moller Road around 9:26 p.m. Friday on a report of a person shot.
Police arrived to find a 20-year-old man with an injury consistent with a gunshot wound, and emergency medics took the man to an area hospital in critical condition.
Detectives at the scene learned that the man who was shot had approached a vehicle at the gas station and attempted to rob the driver, who shot the robbery suspect.
The person in the vehicle stayed at the scene and on Friday night was cooperating with police.

Thug boy should have just got an honest job instead of robbing people.

Man shot while attempting to rob driver at gas station | WISHTV.com

In Florida....

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – One teen was killed and another was hospitalized after being shot by a resident of a home they were breaking into, deputies said.
Deputies responded to the Seasons at Westchase apartment complex on Citrus Falls Circle around 7:30 p.m. Saturday after the report of a double shooting.
The residents of the home, a man and his fiance, said two teens kicked in their screened-in area of their back patio and got into their home. They said one was armed with a gun and made demands.
During the encounter, the sheriff’s office said the resident grabbed his legally-owned gun and fired at the teens, hitting both.
Both teens were transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital where one of them died from the gunshot wound.
When deputies first arrived on the scene, they located a vehicle with two teenagers inside. In talking to the two, they determined they were likely also involved in the home invasion.
All four suspects are between the ages of 16 and 17 and attend Gaither High School in Tampa. None of them have been charged yet.

Deputies: Teen shot dead, another injured while trying to break into Tampa home | WFLA

In Indiana...

COLUMBUS, Ind. (WISH) — Police say a man in Columbus fatally shot a person who confronted him with a baseball bat in his own home early Saturday morning.
Officers with the Columbus Police Department were called to a home in the 2000 block of Home Avenue around 1 a.m. Saturday on a report of shots fired, Columbus police said Saturday afternoon.
They arrived to find a man with multiple gunshot wounds inside the home. The man was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The homeowner told police he was confronted inside his own home by an unknown person with a baseball bat and discharged a firearm a short time later, striking the man, police said.

Columbus homeowner fatally shoots man he says confronted him with baseball bat | WISHTV.com

Nice shot but not quite a bullseye. Oh well...it all worked out.

Cool. Did you want a list of 435 US mass shootings in just 2019 alone? You can read about them here. 517 killed and 1,648 wounded.

More than 300 million guns in the hands of private citizens in America. Only 517 killed, and 1,648 wounded, an insignificant statistic except for those shot. More than 40,000 dead on toilets for the year. 300 million toilets in the US. Let's ban toilets.

More than 300 million guns in the hands of private citizens in America. Only 517 killed, and 1,648 wounded, an insignificant statistic except for those shot. More than 40,000 dead on toilets for the year. 300 million toilets in the US. Let's ban toilets.

Let me know when people start throwing toilets at each other to kill each other. Until then, you don't have a point. Countries with strict gun control have orders of magnitude less mass shootings, as well as overall firearm killings.

Let me know when people start throwing toilets at each other to kill each other. Until then, you don't have a point. Countries with strict gun control have orders of magnitude less mass shootings, as well as overall firearm killings.

Like Mexico?

Like Mexico?

Gun control in US cities does not work well when surrounded by no-gun-control surrounding areas. In the same way, gun control laws in Mexico do not work well when 94% of the firearms are smuggled from US.

Cool. Did you want a list of 435 US mass shootings in just 2019 alone? You can read about them here. 517 killed and 1,648 wounded.

you mean those slaughters mainly in areas where honest citizens were disarmed? Sure-post them to show how idiotic gun free zones are. And for the ones that took place in Bannerrhoid run states, like California, or Illinois-please do since it shows that people premeditating mass murder don't give a damn about gun laws.

Like Russia? and South Africa, or are you going to blame that on the USA too?

the fact is, when you howl about the USA, what you are really saying is that you want a complete gun ban and gun confiscation

Get over it. People die everywhere for every possible reason. Violence in the US is relatively minuscule despite all the brouhaha.

You'll never be happy with the death by violence, no one ever will. But it is the way of the world, one way or another, and nothing you say or do will change that reality.

Gun control in US cities does not work well when surrounded by no-gun-control surrounding areas. In the same way, gun control laws in Mexico do not work well when 94% of the firearms are smuggled from US.

Drop the hyperbole. Less than 12% of firearms in Mexico are sourced in the US. Predominantly they come from Europe. Specifically, Bulgarian, Italian, Spanish and German firearms. More recently, cheap small arms from Brazil.

Like Russia? and South Africa, or are you going to blame that on the USA too?

Russia had 13 people die in mass shootings. South Africa 0 as far as I know. US 517. So, what are you talking about?

Drop the hyperbole. Less than 12% of firearms in Mexico are sourced in the US.

Nope. 94%.

Russia had 13 people die in mass shootings. South Africa 0 as far as I know. US 517. So, what are you talking about?

Nope. 94%.

why do gun banners only cite mass shootings when those only make up an extremely small number of murders? is it because of the dishonest nature of the gun ban movement-pretending crime control is what motivates it>

in california, over the last 30 years, the yearly death toll to mass shootings is LESS THAN FIVE A YEAR

What makes you think these types of self-defensive shootings wouldnt add up the same? Here we have several in 2 days. IMO it certainly would if you included the times the citizen drew their gun to drive the attacker off but didnt have to shoot.

According to a study performed by Florida State College of Criminologists Dr. Gary Kleck and Dr. Marc Gertz in 1995, between 800,000 and 2,500,000 crimes are prevented every year by firearms. Some other findings include:

• Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (606 by police compared to 1,527 by citizens).
  • Homeowner occupancy rate in the gun control countries of Great Britain, Canada and Netherlands: 45% (average of the three countries); and, homeowner occupancy rate in the United States: 12.7%.
  • 74% of felons polled agreed that "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime."
  • 57% of felons polled agreed that "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."
  • Newsweek learned that “only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The ‘error rate’ for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high.”
  • Orlando, FL. In 1966-67, the media highly publicized a safety course which taught Orlando women how to use guns. The result: Orlando’s rape rate dropped 88% in 1967, whereas the rape rate remained constant in the rest of Florida and the nation.

Sources:
Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun - Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Volume 86, Issue 1, Fall 1995
Are We 'A Nation Of Cowards'? - Newsweek, by George Will, November 1993
Rape Victimization in 26 American Cities - United States Department of Justice, Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, 1979, p. 31.

Last edited:
why do gun banners only cite mass shootings when those only make up an extremely small number of murders? is it because of the dishonest nature of the gun ban movement-pretending crime control is what motivates it>

in california, over the last 30 years, the yearly death toll to mass shootings is LESS THAN FIVE A YEAR

View attachment 67271375

I think the graph is self-evident why we consider "Gun Free Zones" to be massacre magnets. And we have the Democrats to thank for it.

What makes you think these types of self-defensive shootings wouldnt add up the same? Here we have several in 2 days. IMO it certainly would if you included the times the citizen drew their gun to drive the attacker off but didnt have to shoot.

If you have a statistic, let's see it. As for "citizen drew their gun to drive the attacker off", how many of those attackers just go on to attack someone else?

why do gun banners only cite mass shootings when those only make up an extremely small number of murders?

I was responding to the OP. He cited 3 cases. Mass murders were easy to cite and were way more than 3. If you want to look at all murders by firearm, stats will be even worse.

Last edited:
If you have a statistic, let's see it.

Easy enough to extrapolate from what Bum's been posting here daily. IMO the # of lives lost in mass shootings is not more than those saved by citizens protecting themselves or their homes.

As for "citizen drew their gun to drive the attacker off", how many of those attackers just go on to attack someone else?
That's ludicrous. I'm not a cop. Citizens arent cops. We are defending our lives and our families. It's not our obligation to stop crime.

I was responding to the OP. He cited 3 cases. Mass murders were easy to site and were way more than that. If you want to look at all murders by firearm, stats will be even worse.

When you remove suicides, not at all. Those make up 2/3 of all gun deaths and are no risk to public safety.

Well then, your viable solution is?

Easy enough to extrapolate from what Bum's been posting here daily. IMO the # of lives lost in mass shootings is not more than those saved by citizens protecting themselves or their homes.

"IMO" is the key word here. Sorry, but your "extrapolations" is wishful thinking until we see some real stats.

That's ludicrous. I'm not a cop. Citizens arent cops. We are defending our lives and our families. It's not our obligation to stop crime.

I never said it was your obligation. I said your stats would be useless if you want "count" those that are driven off by show of force but miss those that they just go on and attack someone else. You wanted to pretend like a crime is stopped if someone showed a gun and driven off the attacker and conveniently forget that the crime would still happen if they just attack someone else.

When you remove suicides, not at all. Those make up 2/3 of all gun deaths and are no risk to public safety.

First, even without suicides, US has terrible stats compared to first world countries with stricter gun control.

Secondly, studies showed that number of suicide deaths would be significantly less if it were not for easy access to guns. Dismissing suicides is wrong.

Well then, your viable solution is?

Plenty of ideas to choose from. Here is just first link when you google it.

Last edited:

Nope. 94%.

In other words, you've done no research and are FOS. You know nothing of where Mexican small arms are being imported.

In Russia vodka is the weapon of choice, the slow death. More than 40 people die daily in Russia from bathtub brewed vodka, illicitly sold almost everywhere in the nation. Russia is paradise, there are no murders, no serial killers, no homicides. :) Yet more than 20 people die daily in Russia from violence. In South Africa the Iklwa is still the weapon of choice, tho other spears like the assegai will do in a pinch. One of the, if not the most violent nations in the world on a per capita basis, South Africa enjoys one of the highest homicide rates in the world. Almost 60 people per day. Both Russia and South Africa have extreme gun control laws. Yet every Russian gangster carries a Bulgarian pistol, counterfeit Stechkins capable of firing 700 rounds per minute if equipped for doing so (most make do with a 12 round clip), or a highly prized Czech automatic 7.2 mm sidearm with a 12 round clip. South Africa is flush with AK-47's from Brazil. Not China like much the rest of Africa, but Brazil. As if the word "mass" makes a difference to the dead.

If you have a statistic, let's see it. As for "citizen drew their gun to drive the attacker off", how many of those attackers just go on to attack someone else?

I was responding to the OP. He cited 3 cases. Mass murders were easy to cite and were way more than 3. If you want to look at all murders by firearm, stats will be even worse.

not true, the Mexican rate of firearms murders is far higher than ours despite a de facto gun ban in Mexico. Same with the RSA and Russia

In other words, you've done no research and are FOS. You know nothing of where Mexican small arms are being imported.

I know what I read. You make a statement without any links. So I did not bother linking either.

not true, the Mexican rate of firearms murders is far higher than ours despite a de facto gun ban in Mexico. Same with the RSA and Russia

Got any links to prove?

I know what I read. You make a statement without any links. So I did not bother linking either.

Got any links to prove?

Russia vs United States Crime Stats Compared

Violent crime > Intentional homicide rate 12
Ranked 21st. 3 times more than United States 4.7
Ranked 7th.
Violent crime > Murder rate 14,574
Ranked 5th. 12% more than United States 12,996
Ranked 9th.
Violent crime > Murder rate per million people 102.35
Ranked 30th. 2 times more than United States 42.01
Ranked 43th.

Mexico vs United States Crime Stats Compared

Violent crime > Intentional homicide rate 15
Ranked 1st. 3 times more than United States 4.7
Ranked 7th.
Violent crime > Murder rate 25,757
Ranked 2nd. 98% more than United States 12,996
Ranked 9th.
Violent crime > Murder rate per million people 218.49
Ranked 17th. 5 times more than United States 42.01
Ranked 43th.

Got any links to prove?

Plenty. However, let your fingers do the walking. Spoon feeding you will only bring denials. Learn for yourself, and you will have to accept reality.

However, here's a sample that begins to touch on Mexican gun trafficking:

Mexico'''s Gun Supply and the 90 Percent Myth

Now go learn about the rest. And for a kicker, the largest source of illicit guns on the streets of NYC, Boston, Philadelphia and other east coast cities are counterfeit American and Italian hand guns from Bulgaria. $240 the street price for a counterfeit Ruger 357 Police Special as opposed to MRSP of $729 for the real deal, Colt 9mm Stainless Steel counterfeit, $350 as opposed to the MRSP of $929 for the real deal. All those stories of guys buying guns in Pennsylvania bringing them to NYC, can't compete with the Bulgarian counterfeits, often of similar or better quality than the real thing.

I've a lovely Beretta 7.2mm counterfeit. Beretta never made a 7.2mm. I paid $80 for that piece, sold out of the trunk of a car, when I was a working NYPD Gold Shield. Popped that guy, an Albanian with an Irish passport and a student Visa, released on bail the next day, never seen again. I pocketed that piece as a souvenir. Technically against dept rules and regulations, but turned in the 86 other guns from that car trunk. My partner pocketed a sweet S&W counterfeit from the same sting. When we popped this perp, he was parked on Reade St. one block from City Hall in downtown Manhattan. We also popped more than a dozen of his customers, all in suits from the financial district except for two city councilmen. They all could have bought lawful guns, but the prices were far better. Not one of them did time, and they all paid small fines. Upstanding citizens who made their lawyers wealthier.

The absence of your links means nothing to me. The link I gave you explains why.

Back
Top Bottom