• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

John Bolton was bad. His departure might be worse.

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

US-NEWS-BOLTON-ABA.jpg

9/10/19
I did not welcome John Bolton’s appointment as national security adviser. But now that he has been fired (or has resigned), I am more ambivalent about his departure than I had expected. In some ways he has been as bad as I feared, but in other ways he has been an important check on an impetuous president. If his replacement is a yes-man (or woman), the result could actually be worse. When Bolton’s appointment was announced in March 2018, I described him in The Post as a “wild man” with legendary “antipathy toward international treaties and organizations,” a lack of “the kind of interpersonal skills” that a national security adviser needs “to coordinate all of the defense and foreign-policy agencies,” and a worrisome predilection for preemptive wars against Iran and North Korea. I was right to worry that the foreign policy process would become more “chaotic” under Bolton. He disdained attempts by his predecessor, H.R. McMaster, to consult with other agencies. Bolton froze other officials out of the process in the hope that he alone could shape President Trump’s decision-making. A long profile in the Atlantic noted: “If the NSC under McMaster was a consultative body, under Bolton it has become the opposite.” How ironic, then, that Bolton — who began his tenure by excluding bureaucratic rivals — wound up being excluded himself from decision-making about Afghan peace negotiations. His skepticism of a deal was said to have “irritated” Trump. But here’s the thing: Much as I disagree with Bolton on many issues, he was right to be wary of a deal that would have led to U.S. troop withdrawal in return for empty promises of good behavior from the Taliban.

Bolton was also right to be skeptical about peace talks with North Korea. Unlike Trump, he never fell in love with North Korean tyrant Kim Jong Un. Bolton played a more destabilizing and dangerous role when it came to Iran. Trump seemed to expect that U.S. pressure would cause Iran to come back to the table to negotiate an even more restrictive agreement. But instead of giving in, Iran has struck back. Bolton led Trump into a strategic dead end with no obvious way out save a resurrection of the nuclear accord or a war with Iran. The latter option loomed menacingly close in June after Iran shot down a U.S. drone. Nor did Bolton’s advice produce the quick and easy win that Trump unreasonably expected in Venezuela. Bolton made many mistakes — just as his critics had expected — but he is not the real reason that U.S. foreign policy has been so erratic and unsuccessful over the past 17 months. If Trump wants to find the real culprit for his failed foreign policy, he should look in the mirror. Not even a president with far more acumen than Trump could possibly formulate and execute a successful foreign policy amid such incessant staff turnover — and such abrupt shifts of direction.

So much for blind loyalty. And now the hunt again commences for yet another National Security Adviser (this will be the 5th such iteration in under 3 years).

Probably another "acting" [megaphone] official because the really talented prospects know a Trump appointment is the kiss of professional death.

Bolton was a warhawk and a clown. Good Riddance.

That being said, the whole Taliban on American Soil around 9/11 is a really, really stupid idea.

Bolton was a warhawk and a clown. Good Riddance.

That being said, the whole Taliban on American Soil around 9/11 is a really, really stupid idea.

Trump wanted to get a 'secret' deal from the Taliban. They're not stupid. They would happily agree to a deal that would be oh-so-sweet for Donald since he would immediately announce to the world claiming a victory over the Taliban and maybe get the Nobel Peace Prize that he's always wanted. Then announce he's pulling all our troops out of Afghanistan. The Taliban would go back to Afghanistan, do all the dirty business they usually do and Trump wouldn't say a word about it because then he'd look like a fool. They would be empowered and stronger than ever.

The same thing with Kim Jong-un. And history is proving this fact. Trump said they 'fell in love' and promised Kim not to bother him with our pesky military exercises with S. Korea. All the while, Kim Jong-un was thinking "Great! now I have more propaganda to show my people how powerful I am by getting the US president to come right here to shake my hand and give me love notes. They will adore me and pledge their lives to me even more now. In the meantime I'll just keep shooting missiles over the Sea of Japan and Trump won't do squat about it".

Bolton finally gets something 100% right and gets fired for it.

Trump said he'd name a replacement next week. The short list .....

Charles M. Kupperman - Acting NSA Adviser
Stephen E. Biegun - Trumps Representative to North Korea
Brian H. Hook - Trumps Iran Representative
Douglas Macgregor - FOX contributor
Richard Grenell - Ambassador to Germany

All of the above are Trump sycophants so any of them will do.

One thing . Bolton was ultra hawk. I would rather grandiose boasts on accomplishments that didn't happen rather than boots on the ground and american soldiers dying for Bolton's paranoia.

US-NEWS-BOLTON-ABA.jpg

So much for blind loyalty. And now the hunt again commences for yet another National Security Adviser (this will be the 5th such iteration in under 3 years).

Probably another "acting" [megaphone] official because the really talented prospects know a Trump appointment is the kiss of professional death.

WaPo - owned by a CIA contractor who despises Trump - thinks the departure of warmongering sociopath Bolton is bad.

Color me shocked.

Liberals love war and terror as much as they irrationally hate Trump.

:hm

Hopefully, Pompeo, Mulvaney, Ross, Wheeler, Mnuchen, Carson, and Barr are next to go.

Thread title: John Bolton was bad. His departure might be worse.

Could be. I doubt it.

Bolton immediately set about the task of pulling the National Security Advisor's office apart and installing Bolton puppets. The NSA'a job is to collate the various views on National Security that flow up to him from staff and boil them into a portfolio of alternative responses to National Security Risks for digestion by the President and the NSC.

Instead, he turned the NSA's office on its head....turned it into an "organization" that only had one view....HIS!

GOOD RIDDANCE. I don't buy this narrative that Bolton was saving us and I won't by it when Bolton puts in print. Yes he had it right on negotiating with the Taliban and "GOD HELP US" Taliban to Camp David. But that only tells us how bombastically ignorant and unscrupulous DonDon is and how unscrupulous Pompeo and Minuchin are.

Trump is the real threat to US National Security interests, not Bolton. When the time comes if Trump thinks it will get him reelected he will send us into a war and he will find another patsy to blame it on. His name just won't be John Bolton.

Bolton didn't abandon his principles for DonDon the 1st. But Bolton's principles were and are as screwed up as it gets. The Chicken Hawk remains a Chicken Hawk. Woopdie ding-dong. I am supposed to be impressed with that. Sorry that is too low a bar.

Last edited:
WaPo - owned by a CIA contractor who despises Trump - thinks the departure of warmongering sociopath Bolton is bad.

Color me shocked.

Liberals love war and terror as much as they irrationally hate Trump.

:hm

Meaning President Donald Trump hired a warmongering sociopath as his National Security Advisor, correct?

No Hannity?

will be very happy if Macgregor got it

Would you be happy if he appointed a Dem deepstater? Bolton's advice was considered, but he couldn't get behind any agreed upon plan. It was Bolton's way or leak leak leak.

Would you be happy if he appointed a Dem deepstater? Bolton's advice was considered, but he couldn't get behind any agreed upon plan. It was Bolton's way or leak leak leak.

I suspect Bolton didn't see a plan. There does not appear to be a plan...just an agenda. DonDon's agenda.

US-NEWS-BOLTON-ABA.jpg

Bitch that he gets appointed....bitch that he gets removed. Some people just gotta bitch. That said, I'm sure a warhawk like you is very sad to see him go.

Trump wanted to get a 'secret' deal from the Taliban. They're not stupid. They would happily agree to a deal that would be oh-so-sweet for Donald since he would immediately announce to the world claiming a victory over the Taliban and maybe get the Nobel Peace Prize that he's always wanted. Then announce he's pulling all our troops out of Afghanistan. The Taliban would go back to Afghanistan, do all the dirty business they usually do and Trump wouldn't say a word about it because then he'd look like a fool. They would be empowered and stronger than ever.

Who cares what the Taliban does or doesn't do? End the Forever Wars.

Bitch that he gets appointed....bitch that he gets removed. Some people just gotta bitch. That said, I'm sure a warhawk like you is very sad to see him go.

Are you not sad to see him go?

Are you not sad to see him go?

Nope...I am very happy to see him go. I've had 3 deployments so far and know first hand how stupid his type of foreign policy is. I don't need a 4th or more to solidify it more in Iran or some other place.

Nope...I am very happy to see him go. I've had 3 deployments so far and know first hand how stupid his type of foreign policy is. I don't need a 4th or more to solidify it more in Iran or some other place.

Would you say it was a mistake for Trump to hire him in the first place?

Would you say it was a mistake for Trump to hire him in the first place?

Yes...I was 100% against it from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom