• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Watch your language in Berkeley, California

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
If you ever visit that university town, do be careful with gender-neutral words.

According to an article posted at my favorite website (the Drudge Report), that city wants you to say "maintenance hole" for "manhole" and "human effort" for "manpower."

It also reminds you to use "their" instead of "his," as in "Everyone should bring their book tomorrow." To be fair, I have noticed that most Americans already do that. In fact, some really "woke" speakers will say (even when speaking to an audience of both men and women): "I would appreciate it if everyone would bring her book tomorrow to class." (In other words, it is considered terrible to continue to use "his" as the gender-neutral pronoun, but some people feel it is fine to use "her" as a gender-neutral pronoun.)

No wonder some of our foreign friends find the English language so difficult to master.

If you ever visit that university town, do be careful with gender-neutral words.

According to an article posted at my favorite website (the Drudge Report), that city wants you to say "maintenance hole" for "manhole" and "human effort" for "manpower."

It also reminds you to use "their" instead of "his," as in "Everyone should bring their book tomorrow." To be fair, I have noticed that most Americans already do that. In fact, some really "woke" speakers will say (even when speaking to an audience of both men and women): "I would appreciate it if everyone would bring her book tomorrow to class." (In other words, it is considered terrible to continue to use "his" as the gender-neutral pronoun, but some people feel it is fine to use "her" as a gender-neutral pronoun.)

No wonder some of our foreign friends find the English language so difficult to master.

Oh, yes, people have been using the plural "their" for "everyone," "everybody" (which means "every one body"), "anyone," "anybody," "someone," and "somebody" for decades. (It's "each" that sends me over the moon--it means "one"!) Grammarians began to argue in the late '60's/early '70's that the old-school rule of using "he" was paying undue deference to males. I remember when Dr. Spock laboriously edited his famed baby "bible" to more carefully balance little boy with little girl examples.

Anyway, "Everyone has their ticket" remains wrong but is easily fixed by simply saying "We all have our tickets."

Sigh, not that anybody cares.

You may enjoy this piece by Kevin Williamson (Teaser: He quotes Orwell and Shakespeare): https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2019/07/29/a-herd-has-no-mind/

I read an article in a magazine a couple weeks back that interviewed some actor person, who was androgynous, and he/she didn't allow the magazine to use he or she. So they used they, them, their, when speaking of the actor.

I couldn't hardly understand the interview, because it became impossible to know if they was referring to the actor, or some other group.

You know what's truly amazing, though? The real kicker? Swapping those words don't make one bit of difference to your life at all. It doesn't cost you anything, you don't need to go back to school to learn how to do it, no one will think less of you for participating... Once you get over the indignation of being asked to speak in what is the current norm (yes, different from back in the day), it's amazing how little effort it takes.

I think the bigger confusion comes when they hear the President say things that should be defined as racist, but then Republicans claim it isn't.

"I would appreciate it if everyone would bring her book tomorrow to class."

I don't think I have ever heard anyone use either the word his or her book in this particular situation. "Their" is the only word that makes sense in that sentence. Sounds like you're full of **** to me.

You know what's truly amazing, though? The real kicker? Swapping those words don't make one bit of difference to your life at all. It doesn't cost you anything, you don't need to go back to school to learn how to do it, no one will think less of you for participating... Once you get over the indignation of being asked to speak in what is the current norm (yes, different from back in the day), it's amazing how little effort it takes.

If it doesn't cost anything, then why change them? Why do leftist feel the need to neuter humans, humanity, humankind? Are these morons still going to call the female version of themselves woman (of man)? When are they going to chuck the, um, mother (is that a safe word?) of all sexists English words? :confused:

If it doesn't cost anything, then why change them? Why do leftist feel the need to neuter humans, humanity, humankind? Are these morons still going to call the female version of themselves woman (of man)? When are they going to chuck the, um, mother (is that a safe word?) of all sexists English words? :confused:

That's a lot of man on the brain going on there, friend.... hehe

I'm not sure what polite discussion will look like in the future. It's changed a million times over our tenure here, it'll change a million times again. I wouldn't get so upset about it. :)

Language is a living thing; it grows by way of use, and use includes misuse.
I no longer get worked up about misuse, but there is something to be said about precision in the use of language.
Language expresses thought, and sloppy language reflects sloppy thought.
But most thought is sloppy, and deserves sloppy language.

That's a lot of man on the brain going on there, friend.... hehe

I'm not sure what polite discussion will look like in the future. It's changed a million times over our tenure here, it'll change a million times again. I wouldn't get so upset about it. :)

Men will just continue to be men and they can be gender neutral. "It" should suffice. :lol: But substituting "human effort" for "manpower" is just stupid. It's derived from the same root. All these progressives are doing is demonstrating that they're devoid on intellect. :lol:

Last edited:
Men will just continue to be men and they can be gender neutral. "It" should suffice. But substituting "human effort" for "manpower" is just stupid. It's derived from the same root. :lol:

So what's the big deal then? You're as bent and twisted over it as they are...what does that make you? :lol:

So what's the big deal then? You're as bent and twisted over it as they are...what does that make you? :lol:

I'm not bent over it. On the contrary, showing how dumb these people are is like Christmas in July. :lol:

Oh, yes, people have been using the plural "their" for "everyone," "everybody" (which means "every one body"), "anyone," "anybody," "someone," and "somebody" for decades. (It's "each" that sends me over the moon--it means "one"!) Grammarians began to argue in the late '60's/early '70's that the old-school rule of using "he" was paying undue deference to males. I remember when Dr. Spock laboriously edited his famed baby "bible" to more carefully balance little boy with little girl examples.

Anyway, "Everyone has their ticket" remains wrong but is easily fixed by simply saying "We all have our tickets."

Sigh, not that anybody cares.

You may enjoy this piece by Kevin Williamson (Teaser: He quotes Orwell and Shakespeare): A Herd Has No Mind | National Review

When you think about it, it’s very odd that in the English language there is a gender neutral word to refer to third person plural “them”, but you have to choose one referring to third person singular. What if you don’t know or just don’t want to specify whether that person is male or female?

I don’t think any other language is like that. Either they make their distinctions for both singular and plural, or for neither.

When you think about it, it’s very odd that in the English language there is a gender neutral word to refer to third person plural “them”, but you have to choose one referring to third person singular. What if you don’t know or just don’t want to specify whether that person is male or female?

I don’t think any other language is like that. Either they make their distinctions for both singular and plural, or for neither.

I wonder what the Germans are doing about this sexism problem. Every noun has a masculine, feminine, or neuter article. They're going to have to rewrite their entire language, e.g. "Das Fräulein." :lol:

Last edited:
I'm not bent over it. On the contrary, showing how dumb these people are is like Christmas in July. :lol:

Huh...well, whatever gets you off, friend... hehe... It takes all kinds, apparently. :)

That is just so ridiculous, and totally pointless

Huh...well, whatever gets you off, friend... hehe... It takes all kinds, apparently. :)

I thought these word police were done forty years ago: postal carrier (mailman), flight attendant (steward, stewardess), server (waiter, waitress) crewmember (crewman), fascist (policeman).... :lol:

That city wants us to... wait a minute. Somebody just made all this up, didn't he.

You are really upset by pronoun usage.

And don't call homosexuals "dummasses" but you can call them by the appropriate gender-neutral term "numbasses."

If I have to go to Berkeley I will be doomed. Not only am I a one-woman wrecking crew when it comes to most forms of political correctness--I simply refuse to be bullied that way--but I took a lot of English in high school and college. To deliberately use the wrong pronoun or a strained substitute for a common object is just not in my wheelhouse of what is comfortable for me. Oh well. I really hadn't planned to go there and their dictates don't make it at all appealing.

You guys of all genders come to Albuquerque where women aren't so sensitive as to need special pronouns or special names for things lest their fragile sensibilities be in some way wounded.

Back
Top Bottom