• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clint Malarchuk on mental illness and hockey goaltending

leekohler2

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I saw this today online and it struck me. I am also a hockey goalie. I love it, I was drawn to it immediately and I'm pretty damn good at it. I've won numerous Player of the Game awards over my years of playing and been in the top ten in my league several times, out of 56 other guys. I've also been lucky enough to still be playing at a competitive level at 51 years old. This past season, I placed #8 in a league of guys mostly half my age. I've had a ton injuries: broken foot, cracked ribs, cracked collarbone, groin pulls, etc.

But this guy dealt with more than I ever could imagine, and he's still here to talk about it. I think he has a lot of good things to say about mental illness and how we all need to pay more attention to it:

A Famous NHL Goalie Put A Bullet In His Head, And He Wants Everyone To Know Why

Watch his interview at the bottom of the article. Hopefully, if any of you are dealing with similar things, this helps.

I saw this today online and it struck me. I am also a hockey goalie. I love it, I was drawn to it immediately and I'm pretty damn good at it. I've won numerous Player of the Game awards over my years of playing and been in the top ten in my league several times, out of 56 other guys. I've also been lucky enough to still be playing at a competitive level at 51 years old. This past season, I placed #8 in a league of guys mostly half my age. I've had a ton injuries: broken foot, cracked ribs, cracked collarbone, groin pulls, etc.

But this guy dealt with more than I ever could imagine, and he's still here to talk about it. I think he has a lot of good things to say about mental illness and how we all need to pay more attention to it:

A Famous NHL Goalie Put A Bullet In His Head, And He Wants Everyone To Know Why

Watch his interview at the bottom of the article. Hopefully, if any of you are dealing with similar things, this helps.

ESPN did a short documentary about him

Cutthroat - ESPN Films: 30 for 30

Back
Top Bottom