• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The other emolument clause

pennycapitalist

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Article 2, Section 1, Clause 7. The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be encreased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

I know there are articles and litigation on the so called "Emoluments" clause also know as the "Nobility clause". This thread is about the other emolument clause which I quoted above. If there are cases dealing with this or current articles I can't find them. I am new to this forum. I tried to find existing threads on this or any emolument clause. If it was right there in front of my face, I apologize. I'm 70 years old a little hard of hearing and hard of seeing.

Anyway, please someone with more knowledge than my own please tell me what this clause means. First at the end of the clause are the words, "or any of them." I read that to mean any of the individual states in the union. Second does this clause not absolutely limit the compensation to be received by the President to be a (or the) Compensation not to be increased nor diminished during his term of election. Three: Does this clause not prohibit any emolument to be received by the President from the United States government or any of the individual states? Four: would not any fee or rent paid to the President for space in a hotel for Secret Service, or golf cart fee for their use, or any other money or thing of value be prohibited. If my reading of "or any of them" does refer to any of the individual states, then would travelling state workers staying in a Trump hotel paid by the state government (or Federal Government) be prohibited. Finally, would not military spending US government dollars be prohibited from paying those emoluments to any business Trump owns or holds an interest in.

One last issue, would this clause by prohibiting the diminishing of the Presidents compensation prevent the current President or any President from refusing his compensation or even taking only one dollar per year. Currently, Trump appears to be donating his pay check to charity. That would seem to be in total compliance with this clause, but those payments by the Secret Service to Trump owned concerns seems to violate this clause. Thanks to all who may clear this up.

Back
Top Bottom