• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber's options fade as allies abandon him

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It's time for the governor to step aside as he has become an embarrassment to our state. According to the local TV station KOIN he plans on resigning today Friday. When he does, our SoS Kate Brown will become the govenor which means Oregon and California will have a Brown govenor. Not that it matters, but Ms. Brown is a lesbian.

Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber's options fade as allies abandon him | OregonLive.com
In one of the most surreal days in Oregon political history, the state’s top Democratic leaders called for Gov. John Kitzhaber to resign, and the governor vanished from public view.

With support of even allies evaporating, the ability of Kitzhaber to remain in office appeared less viable by the hour.
The day started with Senate President Peter Courtney and House Speaker Tina Kotek meeting Kitzhaber, a fellow Democrat, for breakfast and telling him it was time to step down.

Later in the morning, Secretary of State Kate Brown – next in line if Kitzhaber resigns – released a statement called her interactions with the governor the day before “strange,” “bizarre” and “unprecedented.”

Then Treasurer Ted Wheeler pressed him to resign, calling the situation “untenable.”

By then, Kitzhaber’s whereabouts were not publicly known, and he issued no responses. But it was clear that the insiders of his own political party wanted him to go

Kitzhaber has faced ever-increasing scrutiny about ethical issues surrounding this fiancee’s paid contracts, but the intensity flared two weeks ago after the Oregonian/OregonLive reported that Hayes didn’t report a a large chunk of the $118,000 in payments on her personal tax returns and after the governor batted away questions at his own press conference.

A wave of The Oregonian/OregonLive reports followed: that Kitzhaber aides had helped arrange jobs for Hayes; that Hayes directed top state officials on a policy while under contract to push the same policy; and that the couple’s attorneys were quietly making the case that Hayes was never first lady, nor a public official, to try to shut down an ethics inquiry even as the governor promised cooperation.

On Monday, Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum announced she had opened a criminal investigation. By then, both Kitzhaber and Hayes had retained criminal defense attorneys.

snip​

It's time for the governor to step aside as he has become an embarrassment to our state.
According to the local TV station KOIN he plans on resigning today Friday. When he does, our SoS Kate Brown will become the govenor which means Oregon and California will have a Brown govenor. Not that it matters, but Ms. Brown is a lesbian.

Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber's options fade as allies abandon him | OregonLive.com
In one of the most surreal days in Oregon political history, the state’s top Democratic leaders called for Gov. John Kitzhaber to resign, and the governor vanished from public view.

With support of even allies evaporating, the ability of Kitzhaber to remain in office appeared less viable by the hour.
The day started with Senate President Peter Courtney and House Speaker Tina Kotek meeting Kitzhaber, a fellow Democrat, for breakfast and telling him it was time to step down.

Later in the morning, Secretary of State Kate Brown – next in line if Kitzhaber resigns – released a statement called her interactions with the governor the day before “strange,” “bizarre” and “unprecedented.”

Then Treasurer Ted Wheeler pressed him to resign, calling the situation “untenable.”

By then, Kitzhaber’s whereabouts were not publicly known, and he issued no responses. But it was clear that the insiders of his own political party wanted him to go

Kitzhaber has faced ever-increasing scrutiny about ethical issues surrounding this fiancee’s paid contracts, but the intensity flared two weeks ago after the Oregonian/OregonLive reported that Hayes didn’t report a a large chunk of the $118,000 in payments on her personal tax returns and after the governor batted away questions at his own press conference.

A wave of The Oregonian/OregonLive reports followed: that Kitzhaber aides had helped arrange jobs for Hayes; that Hayes directed top state officials on a policy while under contract to push the same policy; and that the couple’s attorneys were quietly making the case that Hayes was never first lady, nor a public official, to try to shut down an ethics inquiry even as the governor promised cooperation.

On Monday, Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum announced she had opened a criminal investigation. By then, both Kitzhaber and Hayes had retained criminal defense attorneys.

snip​

I hadn't been following this story,haven't lived in Oregon for ten years, but it does sound like it's time for him to go.

I hadn't been following this story,haven't lived in Oregon for ten years, but it does sound like it's time for him to go.
Yes, its time for him to go. Where did you live in Oregon?

Why on Earth would you leave the most beautiful place on God's green Earth??? I've lived here (Cent. OR) for over 45 years and have no plans to ever leave.

Kitz needs to step down, but I doubt that he will until formal charges are brought and his situation becomes indefensible. His girlfriend is a real piece of work. Was paid $5000 by an immigrant to marry him so he could stay in the country. Was a party to a plan to build a big pot farm in WA long before pot was legal there. Used her position as Kitz's girlfriend to influence state policy in such a way as to benefit her employer. Kits needs to step down TODAY.

Why on Earth would you leave the most beautiful place on God's green Earth???
I've lived here (Cent. OR) for over 45 years and have no plans to ever leave.

Kitz needs to step down, but I doubt that he will until formal charges are brought and his situation becomes indefensible. His girlfriend is a real piece of work. Was paid $5000 by an immigrant to marry him so he could stay in the country. Was a party to a plan to build a big pot farm in WA long before pot was legal there. Used her position as Kitz's girlfriend to influence state policy in such a way as to benefit her employer. Kits needs to step down TODAY.

I own a beautiful house in Europe that is 100 % paid for and I can live a lot better here.

I own a beautiful house in Europe that is 100 % paid for and I can live a lot better here.

But do you get to wake up to this kind of view:?
sisters1.jpg

Portland. One of the best cities in the USA.
beautiful.

It's the sister city to Austin, TX. which is good and bad.

Austin's (also know as the Kremlin on the Colorado) "Progressive" political leaders have tried to copy every Leftist idea you can think of using Portland as a guide.

I find it amusing that the Guv...on his way out...complains about what the media did to him. Hey...he's a public figure, he should expect the media attention. And if he thinks he's innocent, he should have the courage to stand up for himself and say, "Damn the media." Evidently, he doesn't think he's innocent.

btw, I traded this view...on the few days I could actually SEE this view...

th.jpeg

...with this view...which I can see 300+ days a year.

th (1).jpeg

(my mountain is bigger than your mountain)

Why on Earth would you leave the most beautiful place on God's green Earth??? I've lived here (Cent. OR) for over 45 years and have no plans to ever leave.

Happy to be wrong. See ya later Kitz!!!!

Does anyone have an opinion on his successor Kate Brown?

I know very little about her other than about every media outlet reporting that she is bisexual. I assume that she has some accomplishments beside this.

you know what's really sleazy here, is that this stuff came to light before the election, Kitz denied it and the debate moderator didn't press him to answer question about it, and the media covered up the story. they released the green card marriage as a smoke screen to cover up the many ethics violations they committed.

Conservative host Lars Larson asked to be on the moderator panel on the debates and they told him "no we don't need you asking the governor any questions" even Portlands mayor and public works commissioner will come on his show, but Kitz is protected by the media. what seriously needs to be reviewed is how candidates and debates are covered in the media, this scandal should've been on every station the week running up to the election.

this is truly the fox watching the henhouse, I am for mandated equal coverage for both candidates on elections..

as an addendum, I honestly believe the democratic administration kept the FBI off of Kitz and waited until after a D was elected in 2014 to announce an investigation.

Does anyone have an opinion on his successor Kate Brown?

I know very little about her other than about every media outlet reporting that she is bisexual. I assume that she has some accomplishments beside this.

I don't like her, she's an urban liberal, I'm a traditional rural progressive, and from that viewpoint urban liberals are worse then conservatives on many things...

Back
Top Bottom