• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Australian women 'joining IS foreign fighters'

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Okay.... WTF ????

Increasing numbers of young women are altering the profile of Australians joining the Islamic State (IS) group in Iraq and Syria, Attorney-General George Brandis said Saturday, enticed by the "false glamour" of the organisation.

"At an earlier time, perhaps even six months ago, we were concerned almost entirely about young men," Brandis said, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).
"But a more recent estimate by the national security agencies suggests that a growing number of young women are travelling to participate in that fighting as well."
Brandis said about 90 Australians were now believed to be caught up in the conflict, compared to 70 last year, the ABC reported.

What in hell's bells is going on down in Australia that leads to this kind of crap????

How does any woman manage to be so naïve or ignorant that she would join an org that treats women like dogs and sex slaves, and beheads them or stones them for the smallest "offenses".... like being too educated according to recent reports...

How does any woman manage to be so naïve or ignorant that she would join an org that treats women like dogs and sex slaves, and beheads them or stones them for the smallest "offenses".... like being too educated according to recent reports...

There's just a lot of peeps today who are not too bright, and just want to be rebels without a cause.

Imo, this shows that there is a psychological need which is not being met, and it's not anything to do with education. There seems to be a part of the human psyche (in many, but not all of us) which needs an ideological endeavor, separate from that which intellect provides. It may just be that in our current states of existence/ societal conditions, we aren't being challenged enough just for survival, and have too much idle time on our hands. What is that old saying, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop". It's not that I even believe in a "devil", but I think there is merit to that idea.

Imo, this shows that there is a psychological need which is not being met, and it's not anything to do with education. There seems to be a part of the human psyche (in many, but not all of us) which needs an ideological endeavor, separate from that which intellect provides. It may just be that in our current states of existence/ societal conditions, we aren't being challenged enough just for survival, and have too much idle time on our hands. What is that old saying, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop". It's not that I even believe in a "devil", but I think there is merit to that idea.

Take up surfing. Learn to play guitar. Feed the hungry. Donate to Red Cross. Start your own charity for your own cause. Save the dolphins. Adopt a stray dog. Experiment with lesbianism.....

DON'T fly off to some other country and join a terrorist organization and start killing people!!!!!!!!!

Okay.... WTF ????

What in hell's bells is going on down in Australia that leads to this kind of crap????

It's not just Australia. The women joining IS come from all over the West. This BBC piece is a good summary of the reasons why:

BBC News - Analysis: Why are Western women joining Islamic State?

The perceived failure of Western states to give young Muslims a sense of belonging, purpose and value as Muslims and citizens is striking in the online accounts of these women jihadis.

In an instance of this, one Dutch woman in Syria called Khadija (speaking to the US-based website Al-Monitor) said: "I always wanted to live under Sharia. In Europe, this will never happen."

The women talk about the failings of Western societies, speak negatively about restrictions on how they can practise Islam (for example, the ban on wearing the burqa in France), and criticise the political system.

Yet paradoxically, while quotes from the Koran are woven into their accounts, there is very little sign of deep knowledge about the conflict itself, or indeed about Sharia law or Islam.

The stories of the women who have travelled from Western countries to Syria to join IS highlight the combination of political and personal reasons behind their decision. But they also indicate that their motivation is characterised by a naive romanticism.

Take up surfing. Learn to play guitar. Feed the hungry. Donate to Red Cross. Start your own charity for your own cause. Save the dolphins. Adopt a stray dog. Experiment with lesbianism.....

DON'T fly off to some other country and join a terrorist organization and start killing people!!!!!!!!!

I agree, but for some people, it's all about the ideology. Some people cannot exist in a world where there are shades of gray. It's all or nothing, good vs evil, and that dichotomy defines them. If there is no obvious evil, they will go dig some up, just to have an important cause to fight for.

Perhaps they are drawn to the oppression masochistically?

It is happening in all countries. A US woman was just jailed in Colorado for 4 years for wanting to join ISIS.

Quite a difference though between US and "war on terror" and Australia and what they've been exposed to isn't there?

I agree, but for some people, it's all about the ideology. Some people cannot exist in a world where there are shades of gray. It's all or nothing, good vs evil, and that dichotomy defines them. If there is no obvious evil, they will go dig some up, just to have an important cause to fight for.

How does anyone rationalize in their mind that ISIS is the "good" side????????

Which comes back to .... wtf is going on down in Australia????

Which comes back to.... wtf is going on with some humans, in western societies???? I can understand this, if you're from a country where Islam is the dominant religion, and can even understand it if you're from some of the African countries where Christianity is practiced in a fashion similar to what we see in some Islamic societies, and you are afraid to think for yourself, but in a western democratic society, the only thing to explain it is a serious need for an ideological cause to fight for. We see the same thing with PETA nuts and global warming nuts, who throw all their angst into what they view as a moral crusade. The cause isn't as important as the need to be fighting.

Quite a difference though between US and "war on terror" and Australia and what they've been exposed to isn't there?

Not really.

1.) Australia has been a staunch ally of the US in the war of terror.. err on terror. In fact I would almost claim it has been the most loyal of all. They have been heavily involved in Iraq and Afghanistan.

2.) Australia has a large Muslim community.. about 2.2-5% of the population, especially from Lebanon. There has been illegal immigration from most of Asia towards Australia and many, if not most, are Muslims. These people are treated like dirt by the Australians, and that often does not exactly go down well among other Muslims.

3.) Lonely and impressionable people are in general easy to con into such situations. Before (and still) many in the west were conned into organisations like Scientology or Christian cults. This is no different. And often these cults use things like love/sex to lure people into the cult. I remember Jehovas witness coming up to my door .. 2 men. I tell them to go away.. next time, two hot women knock on the door.

There are sadly many cases of girls being lured into situations by men.. lured into the sex trade to going to Syria to become a jihad bride. There was just a case of a woman in an European country.. Austria or Holland/Belgium I think, who went to Syria to pull out her teenage daughter who had taken on a holiday to Turkey and only to join her "boyfriend" in Syria. She then regretted it but could not leave.. until her mother came and got her back and now she is awaiting trial in her home country.

Or the many many cases of women and men who join cults across the world. I remember that many in the Wacho stand off were in fact young women and men that had "disappeared" from their families and were known to be lonely and highly impressionable.

So basically.. it is not new at all.

They have spam for brains. Only explanation.

Perhaps they are drawn to the oppression masochistically?

There might be something to that. I know some women who love the idea of being dominated by men, but I expect they'd find the reality of Sharia, especially the more drastic forms practiced by ISIS, to be more than they bargained for.

There might be something to that. I know some women who love the idea of being dominated by men, but I expect they'd find the reality of Sharia, especially the more drastic forms practiced by ISIS, to be more than they bargained for.

Yeah, I seriously doubt it's a matter of masochistic tendencies and desires. That seems to usually be something which is stumbled into at a subconscious level, and is much more personal in nature, than ideological.

[QUOTE What in hell's bells is going on down in Australia that leads to this kind of crap????[/QUOTE]

Some Muslims are finally learning what Islam really teaches, after all, a fundamentalist believes the original/literal meaning of their holy book, ergo, they are acting like the Muslims Mohammad intended them to be. In a battle between Western education and lifestyle and Islam, Mohammad wins.

I am always constantly surprised when other people are surprised that more and more, many Muslims are looking at what Mohammad really demands from his followers and acting upon it rather than being Clayton Muslims.

Really?? Prove this please.

Yea it is normal to treat fellow human beings the way Australia treats its refugees... sure.... after all Papa New Guinea is paradise on Earth right?

Back
Top Bottom