• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Documents Reveal Details of F.B.I. Investigation Into Disgraced Senator Ensign

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/30/u...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
WASHINGTON — It was one of Capitol Hill’s most salacious scandals, featuring a senator’s affair with a campaign aide, an outraged husband, tens of thousands of dollars in hush money, illicit lobbying deals with Las Vegas power brokers and a dramatic intervention by a leading Christian ministry.

Now, three years after the fall of former Senator John E. Ensign of Nevada, thousands of pages of previously undisclosed documents reveal new details about the evidence the F.B.I. gathered against Mr. Ensign, a onetime Republican presidential hopeful. The documents, which show that Mr. Ensign’s behavior was more brash than known at the time, also offer new specifics about why the Justice Department decided not to prosecute Mr. Ensign despite an aggressive F.B.I. investigation into the scandal.

Senator John Ensign, Republican of Nevada, tried to steer lobbying work to the husband of his former mistress, records indicate.
E-Mail Messages Are Disclosed in Ensign’s Ethics CaseMARCH 10, 2010
Senator John Ensign, Republican of Nevada, left, hired Doug Hampton, an old friend, as an aide in 2006. Mr. Ensign has admitted having an affair with Mr. Hampton’s wife, Cindy, his campaign treasurer.
Senator Helped Mistress’s Husband, Raising Ethics FlagsOCT. 1, 2009

The Justice Department recently turned over some 3,000 pages of internal documents from the case to a public watchdog group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, known as CREW, after the organization sued under the Freedom of Information Act. The group provided the files to The New York Times, which in 2009 published an investigation of the Ensign case that prompted the F.B.I. inquiry

WHAT CREW HAS LEARNED ABOUT THE JOHN ENSIGN INVESTIGATION AND WHY HE WAS NEVER PROSECUTED
What CREW Learned About John Ensign

WHAT CREW HAS LEARNED ABOUT THE JOHN ENSIGN INVESTIGATION AND WHY HE WAS NEVER PROSECUTED INTRODUCTION
Of all of the public corruption investigations the Department of Justice (“DOJ”) closed
without bringing charges, its investigation of former Senator John Ensign (R-NV) raises some of the most troubling questions. Although there appears to be a substantial record of criminal behavior by Sen. Ensign, including that assembled by the Senate Ethics Committee, DOJ declined to prosecute him, deciding instead to take action against his former top aide. Through
Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”) request
s of DOJ, CREW was able to uncover additional evidence, but questions remain about why Sen. Ensign was never prosecuted..

my guess is... the DOJ declined to prosecute because those cases are very very tough to win, especially with the presence of exculpatory evidence...

they probably figured his public humiliation and resignation was "punishment" enough.<shrug>

That's not a " salacious " scandal

Bill Clinton cheating on the first lady with a teenage intern in the Ovala office was salacious.

Even if what he did was true its nothing in comparison to the corruption that Democrats like Chris Dodd and Maxine Waters are responsible for.

I guess what happens in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas.

Back
Top Bottom