• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pentagon: North Korea Can Likely Build Nuclear Missile That Could Hit U.S.

1) I don't believe ANYTHING that comes out of any government agency without unbiased proof to back it up.

2) It could be true, but even if it is, so what?

Like they are going to launch a nuke at America. Within an hour of doing so, they would be totally obliterated by an American retaliation....and they know this, so why do it?

MAD does work.

1) I don't believe ANYTHING that comes out of any government agency without unbiased proof to back it up.

Like they are going to launch a nuke at America. Within an hour of doing so, they would be totally obliterated by an American retaliation....and they know this, so why do it?

MAD does work.

You got to know your enemy's strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats just like your business competitor.

I think it is a problem that the Chinese are not handling very well for a budding purveyor of peace and security in the region. It is unclear to me, how the USA should act. But we certainly will either have to bring it to a conclusion or spend rather large amounts to protect ourselves and our allies. I tend to believe we should ask the UN to do something, if it does not want us to eliminate the present regime using the cheapest possible methods.

Gosh, it's hard to imagine the Pentagon being deceptive or trying to justify its existence. :lol:

MAD does work.

MAD works against rational actors.

However, anything they could build at this point could probably hit..... Alaska? Can they even create a nuclear payload small enough to fit on it? If they could, would they even risk it on a missile that's more likely to blow up and fall out of the sky than it is to approach it's target?

We need a good missile defense shield in case we get an unlikely answer to those questions.... but I'm not exactly panicking over this.

MAD works against rational actors.

Granted, there's not a lot you and I would recognize as especially "rational" about NK's leadership, but if they were really that irrational, they would have done something invasion-worthy by now. As godawful as the Kims have been, they do certainly appear to enjoy the little god-worship bubble treatment they receive and seem to want to keep it going.

I do agree with the rest of your post.

What a great time to dismantle our military-the world is emboldened by our weak POTUS, and he wants to spend the money on handouts for votes.

You got to know your enemy's strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats just like your business competitor.
Or at least put fear in the public so you have them on your side if you need to bomb/attack/invade/intervene.

I think the general quoted made an important point about this system not being tested. During the mid-to-late 1950's, when the U.S. was developing its first long-range guided missile, the Atlas, it had set off several nuclear bombs of the type it was to carry. From those tests, the engineers knew the weapon had a yield of more than three megatons, and that its design was sound and fairly reliable. They then worked on all the elaborate machinery for guiding the missile and detonating the bomb at the right altitude, while making sure the weapons system would be safe and stable enough to deploy at sites around the U.S.

The Air Force had also carried out quite a few tests of the Atlas, correcting mistakes all along until it was reasonably sure each rocket stage would work as designed. Also, the launch sites had to be designed and built, and improved versions were incorporated as the program went along. Ways to have large amounts of liquid oxygen near the sites had to be worked out, and crews had to be trained to fuel the missiles and prepare them for firing if ordered to, and to do it quickly.

Judging from that experience, there is a lot more to building an entire long-range nuclear-armed missile system than just some computer simulations of bomb designs and a few partial-range missile tests. And even if a country like North Korea finally developed a dozen or two of these weapons and deployed them, what use would they be? Its leaders would be well aware that a single U.S. submarine they would never even know was there might, in a severe crisis, launch enough of its own missiles at those sites, from close enough range, to destroy their missiles before anyone had time to fire them. Just creating and deploying a force like that, if combined with belligerent threats to use it against the U.S., would invite a preemptive strike.

Last edited:
I think the general quoted made an important point about this system not being tested. During the mid-to-late 1950's, when the U.S. was developing its first long-range guided missile, the Atlas, it had set off several nuclear bombs of the type it was to carry. From those tests, the engineers knew the weapon had a yield of more than three megatons, and that its design was sound and fairly reliable. They then worked on all the elaborate machinery for guiding the missile and detonating the bomb at the right altitude, while making sure the weapons system would be safe and stable enough to deploy at sites around the U.S.

The Air Force had also carried out quite a few tests of the Atlas, correcting mistakes all along until it was reasonably sure each rocket stage would work as designed. Also, the launch sites had to be designed and built, and improved versions were incorporated as the program went along. Ways to have large amounts of liquid oxygen near the sites had to be worked out, and crews had to be trained to fuel the missiles and prepare them for firing if ordered to, and to do it quickly.

Judging from that experience, there is a lot more to building an entire long-range nuclear-armed missile system than just some computer simulations of bomb designs and a few partial-range missile tests. And even if a country like North Korea finally developed a dozen or two of these weapons and deployed them, what use would they be? Its leaders would be well aware that a single U.S. submarine they would never even know was there might, in a severe crisis, launch enough of its own missiles at those sites, from close enough range, to destroy their missiles before anyone had time to fire them. Just creating and deploying a force like that, if combined with belligerent threats to use it against the U.S., would invite a preemptive strike.

I understand the sentiment but we can't overlook the crazy factor, and N.Ko's leaders are nuts. They are also using systems from other nations, and are a critical link for nations like Iran. These "rogue nations" take care of each other, and should not be taken lightly.

im very scared of north koreas technology,they just recieved the capability to store 1.44 megabytes of data:scared::scared::scared::scared:

kim-jong-un-floppy-disk.jpg

The headline is sensational and distorts what is actually being said. All the Pentagon is saying is that its conceivable that North Korea might have capability to physically assemble an ICBM but that it is extremely unlikely to be effective. In other words they can slap a missile together but it probably wont work. Which given their track record is understandable.

Back
Top Bottom