• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Internet caretaker ICANN to escape US control

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Internet caretaker ICANN to escape US control

San Francisco (AFP) - The head of the private agency entrusted with running the Internet has said that the group is on course to break free of US oversight late next year.

Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) chief Fadi Chehade expressed his confidence in the move during a press briefing at the opening of the nonprofit organization's meeting this week in Los Angeles.

"ICANN is in a very solid, confident place today," Chehade said of its readiness for a 'post US-government role' in charge of the Internet addressing system.

The timeline for the shift is months rather than years, according to Chehade.

While cautioning that there was no strict deadline, he said that substantial progress has been made toward ICANN being answerable to a diverse, global group of "stakeholders" and not the just the US government, as has long been the case.
I don't think the US should lose control of ICANN.

I didn't read in the article or your post that indicate WHY I should care. Care to elaborate?

I think the Web has been stable under US control, and my feeling is that this is purely political.

I think the Web has been stable under US control, and my feeling is that this is purely political.

Well, when you have at least a few facts, I'm all ears.

US Government Losing Control Of Internet - Business Insider

I think the concern is over the national agenda of other countries. I'm concerned about fragmenting of portions of the Web, where countries no longer adhere to the same standards. We'll see I guess.

Not really sure what exactly would be fragmented and nothing explains that in your article. Local governments already control their domain ranges (.us, .eu, .uk, etc.) and they have different standards for ownership. I read recently that New York city now controls .nyc and has restricted it to just businesses in NY City.

From your article:
"it will insist that the job be taken on by a group that includes the private sector and other interested parties, not just multiple governments." I'm not a huge fan of government but this sounds good to me. Really, I'm trying to understand the real concern so I can evaluate myself how real it might be.

Not really sure what exactly would be fragmented and nothing explains that in your article. Local governments already control their domain ranges (.us, .eu, .uk, etc.) and they have different standards for ownership. I read recently that New York city now controls .nyc and has restricted it to just businesses in NY City.

From your article:
"it will insist that the job be taken on by a group that includes the private sector and other interested parties, not just multiple governments." I'm not a huge fan of government but this sounds good to me. Really, I'm trying to understand the real concern so I can evaluate myself how real it might be.

I guess I don't trust China as much as the NSA. :mrgreen:

Why has the the US been reluctant to give up complete control?

We are Americans and we play well with others when we control the playing field. When we control something we don't like to give it up.

Your turn: What exactly could China do that they aren't already doing now?

Internet Censorship in China - Breaking World Internet Censorship News - The New York Times

Have you read what they do within their own borders, why would I want them to have one iota of influence at a global level?

I understand fully what they do within their own borders and I don't like it either. I still don't see what this change will do to either help or hurt what happens in China. Has the US Stewardship of the Internet domains fostered or hindered what happens in China? Thus far, I still see this on par with having China participate in the Olympics.

I understand fully what they do within their own borders and I don't like it either. I still don't see what this change will do to either help or hurt what happens in China. Has the US Stewardship of the Internet domains fostered or hindered what happens in China? Thus far, I still see this on par with having China participate in the Olympics.

It may have hindered their influence outside China.

Well, when you have at least a few facts, I'm all ears.

Naming and Addressing on a network means you control the allocation of IP addresses. Without an IP address you aren't on the Internet.

While yes, you can have a Network Address Translating (NAT) router / rule, and that has some advantages. Your typical home WiFi router consumes 1 IP address from your ISP, and allows many devices to attach to it, all can get to the Internet because of the NAT.

The number of devices that are connecting to the Internet, between the phones, tablets, stoves and refrigerators, and cars now, etc. etc. the number of unique addresses is running out. It's a 32 bit quantity, so there are a fixed number of values that this can represent, minus, of course, the addresses consumed by the devices that are in fact supporting the network (routers and switches and such in the big cable plants) (Ref: 32-bit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

While it's easy to extend the useful IP addresses by segmenting the network at key points (typically ownership scope or national borders) and putting a NAT firewall in (all the devices within a company aren't all using up Internet IP addresses, much for the same NAT reason as above), some are predicting that even with this the IP address space on the Internet is going to run out, and I don't doubt them.

We've seen how design by committee goes, right? Which is to say not at all well.
We've seen just how effective the UN is, right? Which is to say not at all well.

With ICANN going to international control you've just added both of them together to solve a pending problem.

With this turn over from the US control of ICANN to international control of ICANN, and this looming issue coming on the horizon, I think it right to be concerned that the single greatest human invention might very well fall into disrepair, and the consistent and stringent design and enforcement of the very fundamental addressing that we've enjoyed to date becomes chaotic and uncontrolled.

And now think of all the trillions of dollars in bank exchanges that now run across the Internet.

I think we've a right, and are correct, to be concerned.

Back
Top Bottom