• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Teen Charged with trying to help Jihadists.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
This is another thing we have to watch out for.....What say ye?

A US teenager who agreed to marry a fighter from the militant network that is threatening to overrun Iraq has been arrested and charged with trying to help a foreign terror group.

Shannon Maureen Conley, 19, was arrested in April as she prepared to fly to Turkey to join the jihadist, who was fighting in Syria, according to court documents unsealed this week. She was described as a quiet girl, but changed markedly in the six months before her arrest, after meeting the fighter, a 32-year-old Tunisian identified only as "Y.M." Conley, a registered nurse, allegedly agreed to get engaged to him and join him in Syria, where she offered to provide any help she could, whether as a nurse or otherwise.

In preparation for her mission, Conley joined the US Army Explorers (USAE) last September to be trained in US military tactics and firearms, it is alleged. She was arrested at Denver airport on April 8 as she prepared to board a flight for Istanbul, via Frankfurt. Conley is charged with conspiracy to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization. If convicted, she faces up to five years in jail or a $250,000 fine, or both.....snip~

US teen charged with trying to help jihadists

She was arrested and put in jail. If found guilty she will stay there for awhile.
This is what happens when people are idiots.

She was arrested and put in jail. If found guilty she will stay there for awhile.

Mornin' John S. :2wave: 5 years.....day for day. She is out in 2-1/2. Cop 90 days good time that's 2 years and 3months. Last 3 Work release program. Depending how much money can be paid. Even more time reduced and first offense.

Guy was Tunisian.....fighting in Syria. 32 years old. Looking for a young American girl to help him out. Devious bastard. 19.....huh?

Btw.....Welcome to the Forums of Debate Politics.
yo2.gif

A US teenager who agreed to marry a fighter from the militant network that is threatening to overrun Iraq has been arrested and charged with trying to help a foreign terror group.

Shannon Maureen Conley, 19, was arrested in April as she prepared to fly to Turkey to join the jihadist, who was fighting in Syria, according to court documents unsealed this week. She was described as a quiet girl, but changed markedly in the six months before her arrest, after meeting the fighter, a 32-year-old Tunisian identified only as "Y.M." Conley, a registered nurse, allegedly agreed to get engaged to him and join him in Syria, where she offered to provide any help she could, whether as a nurse or otherwise.

In preparation for her mission, Conley joined the US Army Explorers (USAE) last September to be trained in US military tactics and firearms, it is alleged. She was arrested at Denver airport on April 8 as she prepared to board a flight for Istanbul, via Frankfurt. Conley is charged with conspiracy to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization. If convicted, she faces up to five years in jail or a $250,000 fine, or both.....snip~

They "fell in love" on line apparently. There's no evidence it's some kind of targeted, organized effort. Hard to believe she's a registered nurse at age 19; in fact, I'd say that's not true. I wonder why they arrested her. Had they been watching her? Was it her destination? What triggered an alert?

They "fell in love" on line apparently. There's no evidence it's some kind of targeted, organized effort. Hard to believe she's a registered nurse at age 19; in fact, I'd say that's not true. I wonder why they arrested her. Had they been watching her? Was it her destination? What triggered an alert?

Mornin' Maggie.
hat.gif
Yep says they were going to get married. I heard something on with the radio. Could have been the training she was taking. Firearms use.....mapping etc.

They are saying Conspiracy to provide material support. She even admits to wanting to go Jihad. Not interesting in doing humanitarian or charity work.

If she made any calls to him. They would know that way. Or it could be thru whatever social site they used.

Still 19 is young IMO. Which how much could she really know about any of what is taking place.

Mornin' Maggie.
hat.gif
Yep says they were going to get married. I heard something on with the radio. Could have been the training she was taking. Firearms use.....mapping etc.

They are saying Conspiracy to provide material support. She even admits to wanting to go Jihad. Not interesting in doing humanitarian or charity work.

If she made any calls to him. They would know that way. Or it could be thru whatever social site they used.

Still 19 is young IMO. Which how much could she really know about any of what is taking place.

Well, I don't cut her much slack on account of her age. I'm sure a large majority of terrorists are under age 25...at least the cannon fodder is.

Well, I don't cut her much slack on account of her age. I'm sure a large majority of terrorists are under age 25...at least the cannon fodder is.

Well with all the concern over the Terrorists getting US passports and European.....and for the reasons they are going with heightened security at most European and US Airports. This will need to be a concern as well.

Which this all went active as of Friday......worse is us knowing there are other Americans already there and fighting with the terrorists.

Also like they discovered this guy was from Tunisia and not one from Syria or Iraq.

I will bet this type of thing is more common than we know-but isn't reported on. This is why we should stay in Iraq-leaving that unsavory neighborhood as it is will be a disaster for us to come.

I will bet this type of thing is more common than we know-but isn't reported on. This is why we should stay in Iraq-leaving that unsavory neighborhood as it is will be a disaster for us to come.

Heya USC.....its definitely a concern now. Not just for the US either. Although any calls going overseas will be picked up and monitored. You can bank on that.

I read somewhere... her parents became alarmed over her actions and plans.. notified the FBI...

or so it was reported ???? who knows; I don't have much trust in the media these days.

Parents must make difficult decisions. They'd rather see her in prison than a body bag of parts, maybe.

Thom Paine

It takes a minimum of 2 years to become a nurse, and even a 2 year program takes longer than 2 years to finish due to the time requirements involved. Where I taught we would not allow anyone in who was under 18. I wonder where she went to school, that she is an RN by age 19.

I was thinking that as well. If she is a nurse at all, she is likely an LPN. LPN programs are usually less than a year.

It takes a minimum of 2 years to become a nurse, and even a 2 year program takes longer than 2 years to finish due to the time requirements involved. Where I taught we would not allow anyone in who was under 18. I wonder where she went to school, that she is an RN by age 19.

Heya Maenad.
hat.gif
I am not sure with what they say she was. Although she does admit to taking training. Since she said she wanted to help the terrorists. Also that before she met this 32 year Tunisian. That there isn't much on her talking about believing in Jihad for Muslims.

Should be an interesting case to watch...

Heya Maenad.
hat.gif
I am not sure with what they say she was. Although she does admit to taking training. Since she said she wanted to help the terrorists. Also that before she met this 32 year Tunisian. That there isn't much on her talking about believing in Jihad for Muslims.

Most middle eastern men are quite handsome, IMO. I think my husband had some middle eastern blood, he was very dark, and my son looks middle eastern. I worry about him when he travels. A lot of American women get involved with men from the middle east, and when they come here the seem to like our women for some reason. Around college towns, which I live near one, you see a lot of young white women wearing hijab. I had a friend who got involved with an Iranian. When she went home to meet the family, the grandmother asked her if she would convert to islam. She said, 'No, I'm a Christian and I'm not changing.' She said the grandmother paced up and moved out until after she left the country. She did not in fact marry the man. I have another friend who did marry an Iranian. She is Jehovah's Witness. But it's not much of a stretch to go from one repressive religion to another, really.

It is really hard to believe this girl was an RN due to the age, but beyond that by the time a person finishes nursing school, they have a pretty firm footing. A nursing education is a difficult, expensive, far reaching, and life changing thing. Becoming a nurse changes who you are. It is not often that someone throws it all away like that. It does happen though.

I teach at a Paramedic/EMT school and we allow minors to enroll with the understanding that they can't get licensed and work until they are 18. If she was 17 at graduation from HS its possible, especially if she took AP classes that give college credit.

Most middle eastern men are quite handsome, IMO. I think my husband had some middle eastern blood, he was very dark, and my son looks middle eastern. I worry about him when he travels. A lot of American women get involved with men from the middle east, and when they come here the seem to like our women for some reason. Around college towns, which I live near one, you see a lot of young white women wearing hijab. I had a friend who got involved with an Iranian. When she went home to meet the family, the grandmother asked her if she would convert to islam. She said, 'No, I'm a Christian and I'm not changing.' She said the grandmother paced up and moved out until after she left the country. She did not in fact marry the man. I have another friend who did marry an Iranian. She is Jehovah's Witness. But it's not much of a stretch to go from one repressive religion to another, really.

It is really hard to believe this girl was an RN due to the age, but beyond that by the time a person finishes nursing school, they have a pretty firm footing. A nursing education is a difficult, expensive, far reaching, and life changing thing. Becoming a nurse changes who you are. It is not often that someone throws it all away like that. It does happen though.

From this passage it sounds like you have lost your husband. Sorry to hear this.

So did she get tricked or is there evidence that she was trying to help the "terror"? Do we even know if she knew about his affiliation or maybe shes just a really good person? Being a nurse that heals people is a bit different than waging war on America.

So did she get tricked or is there evidence that she was trying to help the "terror"? Do we even know if she knew about his affiliation or maybe shes just a really good person? Being a nurse that heals people is a bit different than waging war on America.

Heya DPC. :2wave: Ltns, How ya been bro? Yeah they haven't said.....for myself I think he was definitely looking to play on her/use her.

I teach at a Paramedic/EMT school and we allow minors to enroll with the understanding that they can't get licensed and work until they are 18. If she was 17 at graduation from HS its possible, especially if she took AP classes that give college credit.

It wouldn't be possible in a nursing program, even with AP classes. But more than that, we didn't allow them into our program because of the clinicals in the hospitals. It is not prudent to have a minor in a hospital doing the tasks that an adult should be doing.

Read the article. She stated that jihad was the only solution. Translation: War is the only solution.

Read the article. She stated that jihad was the only solution. Translation: War is the only solution.

She must be related to John McCain then.

The only idiots are those that trust the US govt. to decide between the good and bad terrorists.

Back
Top Bottom