• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Student Disarmed University Gunman; 1 Killed, 3 Injured

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
When a lone gunman armed with a shotgun at a small Seattle university stopped firing at students to reload, another student pepper-sprayed him and subdued him with the help of others and prevented more deaths, police said."There are a number of heroes in this," Assistant Police Chief Paul McDonagh said. "The people around (the gunman) stepped up."
A 19-year-old man was fatally shot and two other young people were wounded after the gunman entered the foyer at Otto Miller Hall on the Seattle Pacific University campus and started shooting Thursday afternoon. When he paused to reload, a student building monitor disarmed him. The gunman had additional rounds and a knife, McDonagh said.

Students Helped Stop Gunman at Seattle University - ABC News

Quick action by the student with the pepper spray, and the support of other students around him, saved lives. No doubt about it.

Maybe we're getting away from that crowd mentality that causes us to wait for someone else to do something. I hope so.

Students Helped Stop Gunman at Seattle University - ABC News

Quick action by the student with the pepper spray, and the support of other students around him, saved lives. No doubt about it.

Maybe we're getting away from that crowd mentality that causes us to wait for someone else to do something. I hope so.

I think it's like the people on the plane during the 9-11 attack that knew what was happening and took action to stop it. There have been so many of these shootings lately that people are aware and pissed off and are fighting back.

Yep, a willingness to fight back, to have prepared (thought about such events ahead of time), ability to keep your head instead of panicking....all the best possible tools.

I guess a good guy with a gun is not the only thing.........for a second time.

Predictable. No, the person had another tool to suit that person's need - pepper-spray. Stop focusing on the tool and more 'better outcomes' happen.

Predictable. No, the person had another tool to suit that person's need - pepper-spray. Stop focusing on the tool and more 'better outcomes' happen.

Then tell the NRA to stop saying that we all need to be armed.

When did they ever say that for us to suggest they stop saying that?

I carry pepper-spray and a stun gun because I cannot carry a gun in the may-issue state that is Maryland.

According to Opencarry.org, in Washington state "Colleges set their own policies, most of which seem to ban lawfully carried guns. South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia is the only college in this state we know of that does not specifically ban lawfully carried guns from their campus."

Perhaps this hero would have carried more than pepper-spray if he could have, perhaps if he did he would not have had to wait for this murderer to reload if he did have a gun and a life could have been saved.

Last edited:
I'm glad this man was stop before he would inflict more damage, but as long school stay "gun-free" they are going to be big soft targets for these sick people.

I'm glad this man was stop before he would inflict more damage, but as long school stay "gun-free" they are going to be big soft targets for these sick people.

Blaming laws for the actions of ****ed up people is really the same as blaming guns it seems to me.

Blaming laws for the actions of ****ed up people is really the same as blaming guns it seems to me.

I'm not blaming the laws for this man's actions. His action's are his alone. Also I'm not blaming any law since colleges in WA get to make their own polices on firearms on campus, but when you make a place gun free you are making it harder for people to defend themselves against the people that would do them harm.

I'm not blaming the laws for this man's actions. His action's are his alone. Also I'm not blaming any law since colleges in WA get to make their own polices on firearms on campus, but when you make a place gun free you are making it harder for people to defend themselves against the people that would do them harm.

By his own admission this perp in Seattle didn't expect to be alive. This was a murder/suicide mission. Why he chose SPU has not been disclosed.

When did they ever say that for us to suggest they stop saying that?

I carry pepper-spray and a stun gun because I cannot carry a gun in the may-issue state that is Maryland.

According to Opencarry.org, in Washington state "Colleges set their own policies, most of which seem to ban lawfully carried guns. South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia is the only college in this state we know of that does not specifically ban lawfully carried guns from their campus."

Perhaps this hero would have carried more than pepper-spray if he could have, perhaps if he did he would not have had to wait for this murderer to reload if he did have a gun and a life could have been saved.

This. :yt

By his own admission this perp in Seattle didn't expect to be alive. This was a murder/suicide mission. Why he chose SPU has not been disclosed.

Yet very commonly most successful large-scale mass murders seem to occur in 'gun free zones'.

By that logic, Jim Crow laws weren't all that bad, afterall.

You said that we can't blame the law for people doing screwed stuff. Right?

Yes that is correct. People are responsible for their own behavior including you. Now run along.

We don't all need to be armed. you are more than free to remain unarmed. No problem.

Yet very commonly most successful large-scale mass murders seem to occur in 'gun free zones'.

They do? (I'm honestly curious about this.)

Yes that is correct. People are responsible for their own behavior including you. Now run along.

We can bash the laws that enable bad people to do bad things. Anti-gun laws do just that.

Back
Top Bottom